mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Cubase 6.0.5 + Motif 7 XF = No MIDI in Instrument Tracks (w/VSTs)"

Posted on: January 26, 2012 @ 11:49 PM
ppsayl
Total Posts:  22
Joined  05-02-2011

Hello, I can’t seem to get MIDI to route from my Motif to Cubase into an instrument track with has a VST attached (i.e.: Halcion Sonic SE).

When I create a blank project, then choose “Project->Add Track->Instrument, I then choose “Halcion” as my VST then choose “Add Track”.

A track is created. When clicking the “Edit Instrument” button, the Halcion interface comes up. If I click a key on the virtual keyboard, a sound is played.

However, playing my MOTIF does not cause any sound to come out of the VST at all. It’s almost like Cubase doesn’t recognize any MIDI signals being sent from my MOTIF at all.

Please advise as to what I may be doing wrong.

Here’s my setup as best as I can describe, including the setups for MOTIF and CUBASE. If I missed a critical setting you need to know the value of, please let me know and I will give it to you.

Here’s my existing configuration:

Connector: FireWire

Motif XF:
Midi In/Out = FW
Local Control = OFF
Midi Sync = INTERNAL
Basic Receive Channel = 1
Keyboard Transmit Channel = 1
FW Monitor Setup = “with PC (DirectMonitor)
Audio IN = A/D Input & FW = stereo
Output Select = A/D Input & FW = L+R;

Cubase 6:
VST Connections:
Input:
Stereo In:
Audio Device = Yamaha Steinberg FW ASIO
Left = MOTIF XF7 MAIN L
Right = MOTIF XF7 MAIN R

Output (MOTIF XF MAIN):
Audio Device = Yamaha Steinberg FW ASIO
Left = MOTIF XF7 MAIN L
Right = MOTIF XF7 MAIN R

MIDI DEVICE MANAGER = Yamaha Motif XF

DEVICE SETUP/MIDI Port Setup:
Device = All Devices Say “Windows MIDI”

All three “IN” ports are:
MOTIF XF7 MIDI IN
MOTIF XF7 MAIN
MOTIF XF7 REMOTE
All are Visible
All are Active
In “All MIDI” are checked

All four “OUT” ports are:
MOTIF XF7 MIDI OUT (inactive)
MOTIF XF7 MAIN (inactive)
MOTIF XF7 REMOTE (active)
Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth (inactive)
All ins and outs are Visible
All are Active

VST System Link
Active = off, “MOTIF XF7 MAIN L” (ASIO Input)
Online = off, “MOTIF XF7 MAIN R” (ASIO Output)

Many thanks.

Paul

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2012 @ 06:59 AM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2052
Joined  01-30-2004

Have you clicked the Monitor button on the track in Cubase?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2012 @ 09:25 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

When you have opened a blanc project you start with F11 creating a VST instrument and celect the Halion as your VST. Than a midi track will be created if you agree with that. Use as MIDI IN your MOTIFXF Main or Midi IN: ALL

MIDI OUT should be your Halion VST.

Did you do that?

Another thing: midi in/out should be mLAN and your driver should be FW. I am not sure whether the XF is using the same procedure as the XS, but I assume it is.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2012 @ 10:14 AM
ppsayl
Joined  05-02-2011

Jan, yes - I’ve done those things. The Midi In/Out on the XF is set to FW as I’m using a Firewire connection.

When I create the track with the Halcion VST and play my keyboard (as a midi controller I guess), no sound is produced through the Halcion VST. However, I do hear sound when I use my computer’s mouse to play the virtual keyboard.

To the person who posted the previous thread: yes, the monitor is on.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

Paul

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2012 @ 11:37 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

Can you tell me what you set in the cubase project inspector on the midi track.

Did you select midi IN: MOTIFXF MAIN or “ALL” and as MIDI Out something like Halion VST. Again you did not make clear whether you have created a Halion VST instrument using F11 or not.

In the XF uitilities midi setting do you have set midi as mLAN or not. In general you set the driver as “FW”

Sorry I do not have an XF, but it should be normally no problem to set Halion as a VST instrument.

Another question: when you have opened the VST instruments using F11 and you clicked on the first empty space, do you get to see Halion SE? If so, select it.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2012 @ 02:19 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

All three “IN” ports are:
MOTIF XF7 MIDI IN
MOTIF XF7 MAIN
MOTIF XF7 REMOTE
All are Visible
All are Active
In “All MIDI” are checked

This part of your setup is wrong.

In the DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP > MIDI > MIDI PORT SETUP area
only the “MOTIF XF7 MAIN” should be marked in the “In ‘All MIDI’” column

- You specifically do not want to mark the “MOTIF XF7 REMOTE”.

- You would only mark the “MOTIF XF7 MIDI IN” if you have a MIDI device connected to the 5-pin MIDI IN jack on the back of your Motif XF7

You have to set the TRACK INSPECTOR of your Track so that it is receiving information from your XF7 - that should be easy enough as you have MIDI indicators on the track. The track has to be active (selected) in Cubase in order for you to hear what it is connected to. Make sure the Track for HALion is highlighted.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2012 @ 09:34 PM
ppsayl
Joined  05-02-2011

Bad Mister, I made the changes you recommended, but I still cannot hear the VST when I play the Motif XF.

I’ve attached an MS Word document to this reply which shows screen shots of my existing Cubase settings.

Paul

File Attachments
My Cubase 6 Setup.doc  (File Size: 905KB - Downloads: 241)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2012 @ 02:20 AM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

In your image of the Cubase project window, in the Inspector (below your settings for input and output), it doesn’t appear that you have selected a MIDI channel output (set it to channel 1 and also set Halion to receive on channel 1), and you won’t hear a thing if you don’t click on the “monitor” button (beside the “record” button) for the track. See your Cubase “Getting Started” guide for details. HTH...............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2012 @ 02:49 AM
ppsayl
Joined  05-02-2011

FrankE: The setting your are referring to (I think) right below the ins and outs on the Cubase inspector for the Halcion track is for setting specific programs patches for the VST, not the MIDI Channel to use (unless I’m missing something). Inputs and outputs have already been set for the track and in the inspector.

Thanks.

Paul

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2012 @ 01:25 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Paul,
Please see attached.
Perhaps you may not be familiar with using Cubase with VSTi(s) like HALion? If not, please go through the Getting Started guide and do the recording tutorials. Hope the image helps...and please note that Monitor button suggestion :) You don’t need the Record button ON until you are ready to record. Cheers.....frank

PS: I’m not commenting on your Yamaha related settings. That I’ll leave to Bad Mister.

Image Attachments
Monitor_MIDI.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2012 @ 08:54 PM
ppsayl
Joined  05-02-2011

FrankE: Thank you for the feedback and screenshot.

I was able to figure out where my problem was. When Cubase 6 was installed it apparently set a number of options in preferences that were not correct, especially under MIDI Filter.

To diagnose this, I re-opened Cubase AI 5 (which I know was working fine) and went through each of the settings, starting with the devices, VST settings, preferences, etc. I screen captured each setting.

I then went back to Cubase 6 and compared all the settings. The only things that were different were in the MIDI Filter section. Under “Record” and “Thru”, ALL the options were checked (Note, Poly Pressure, Controller, Program/Patch, Aftertouch, Pitchbend and SysEx).

I reset them back to default which is just “SysEx”.

Once that was done, I recreated an instrument track with Halion Sonic and it plays fine with my Motif as the controller.

Just thought I’d pass this info along. As I never even went into preferences (I just purchased Cubase 6 a little while ago), I have no idea how these options were changed.

Thanks to all for the help on this.

Paul

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2012 @ 11:23 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Pleased that the problem is solved. Based on what you described, those erroneous entries could have resulted from Pref files from AI that were on your computer and not removed before C6 was installed?? (Doesn’t matter that the AI Prefs were correct). That used to be part of the instructions when installing a new version of Cubase...i.e. trash all old Pref files or move them, but perhaps that wasn’t noticed for C6. Before you do any work with a new install, it’s also important to check the Prefs. If you note anything wrong, close Cubase, trash preferences and restart Cubase. In addition if you are ever at a point where you are absolutely certain everything is set correctly, but you are having problems, this is another time to consider the same approach. It’s solved more than one problem in the past, and it is one thing users can try before barging ahead with more severe steps such as reinstalling. Sometimes errors and why they happen aren’t easily explained, :) but faulty Preference files are not uncommon. Hope you can now enjoy C6. Cheerio...............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Cubase 6 upgrades---Artist vs. Full
Next Topic:

Can’t Get My Audiogram 6 ASIO Driver Open ››