mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOX Cubase AI 5 Problems"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: January 10, 2012 @ 04:06 PM
moxmix
Total Posts:  78
Joined  11-20-2011

Hi

After a few funny weeks with my new MOX6 today i try to “simply” record stereo-audio over the usb-cable in Cubase AI 5. I installed all the little thing’s, editor, editor vst, remote tools, studiomanager and the yamaha-steinberg usb-driver.

In Cubase under Devices/VST-Instruments i selected MOX6/MOX8 VST. If i klick the little ‘e’ there the yamaha-window (MOX6/MOX8 VST) opens but in yellow there is a warning ‘ports in the host app have not been properly set’ and under USB Device stands ‘!MOX6/MOX8’ in yellow letters.

In addition to this under Device/Device-Configuration/MIDI… there is only the standard windows-audio-device, no MOX-MIDI-Thing’s

What must i do to record stereo-audio (or possibly midi-data in the future)over usb ??

ps : in the windows-hardware the mox (usb-driver) has no errors. I thought after the driver installation there where a few new audio-devices so any software can record from. equally a new midi-adapter or so…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2012 @ 06:24 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Cubase is a bit fussy in setting up the MIDI and audio ports.

Go to Devices -> Device Setup

Select (from left) VST Audio System. There is a picker for choosing the available audio interfaces on your system (defaults to the internal soundcard), open it and see if the MOX is listed.

Do the same for MIDI Port Setup.

If the MOX is not listed in these menus then something went wrong with your driver installation.

What version of Windows? What other audio and MIDI drivers are installed?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2012 @ 07:15 PM
moxmix
Joined  11-20-2011

In the meantime when the MOX play some music there is an reaction in one cubase levelmeter. When i rise the DAW-Level on the MOX i had an echo (latenz) in my headphones. Means the PC receives data from the MOX and makes pass midi-thru return over usb to the MOX.

I’m using Windows XP with no other audio-hardware than an onboard audio-card.

In VST Audio System i can choose “Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO” and i did.

But in MIDI (Folder-Symbol) then MIDI-Connection-Preference there is only the standard “Microsoft GS Wavetable SW System” but no MIDI in/out MOX-Options !?!

For the first time midi isn’t the point (but a serious point in near future).

a simple usb stereo audio recording would be fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2012 @ 08:23 PM
Dily
Total Posts:  258
Joined  11-30-2011
moxmix - 10 January 2012 07:15 PM

In the meantime when the MOX play some music there is an reaction in one cubase levelmeter.

In your Cubase AI 5

Devices >> Device Setup >> MIDI Port Setup

1. MIDI In Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-1 - In ‘All MIDI Inputs’ - [x]
2. MIDI In Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-2 - In ‘All MIDI Inputs’ - [x]
3. MIDI In Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-3 - In ‘All MIDI Inputs’ - [ ]
4. MIDI In Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-4 - In ‘All MIDI Inputs’ - [ ]
5. MIDI In Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-5 - In ‘All MIDI Inputs’ - [ ]

Restart Cubase AI 5

Information
* MIDI In Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-1 is the default MIDI port
* MIDI In Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-2 is for DAW Remote - If you disable this your DAW Remote will not work.

I use Windows XP as well. Mine Is the XP Professional.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2012 @ 08:25 PM
Swikkythorn
Total Posts:  46
Joined  09-24-2011

Have you installed too the XP Service PAck 3 and the USB driver from this page “ http://www.yamahasynth.com/downloads/drivers_software/synthesizers/mox/all?page=2 “ ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2012 @ 08:42 PM
Dily
Joined  11-30-2011

If you are not using any other VST except the direct Yamaha MOX6/MOX8 VST then you don’t need to enable the MIDI Thru Active.

Go to File >> Preferences >> MIDI

Then uncheck/untick the MIDI Thru Active

Also make sure your Local Ctrl is set to ON else you won’t hear any sound from your keys. To set it, you can either do it on your MOX or on your MOX Editor.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2012 @ 09:18 PM
Dily
Joined  11-30-2011

But in MIDI (Folder-Symbol) then MIDI-Connection-Preference there is only the standard “Microsoft GS Wavetable SW System” but no MIDI in/out MOX-Options !?!

Make sure your Yamaha Steinberg USB driver is installed properly by checking this:

In Windows

1. Start >> Control Panel >> Sound and Audio devices
2. Click the Audio tab
3. In the Sound Playback section make sure the Yamaha MOX6/MOX8 is in the dropdown list.

Don’t select it, just make sure its there. If it isn’t, reinstall the USB driver again. Once its there, your Cubase AI should then be able to pick it up.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2012 @ 10:06 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

@Dily

You should not mark “Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-2” in the IN ALL MIDI INPUTS column that will cause a major malfunction within the REMOTE Layer and should not be marked

In the MIDI > MIDI DEVICE SETUP… it is important that only those devices that are controllers: PORT 1 or PORT 3 for the MOX, never PORT 2, 4 or 5.

There is also no need to reboot Cubase these settings are dynamic. And the statement about the REMOTE layer not working, is incorrect. The REMOTE layer setup in the REMOTE DEVICES folder (and will automatically be configured in Cubase, see below).

For information on troubleshooting the MOX6/MOX8 setup please visit the MOX SUPPORT area for articles with screen shots showing proper setup.

If you installed the MOX6/MOX8 REMOTE TOOLS (which include the MOX Extensions for Cubase), the PORTS setup will be automatically.

If the original poster is having issues it is most likely because the REMOTE TOOLS were not installed properly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2012 @ 10:34 PM
Dily
Joined  11-30-2011
Bad_Mister - 10 January 2012 10:06 PM

@Dily

You should not mark “Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-2” in the IN ALL MIDI INPUTS column that will cause a major malfunction within the REMOTE Layer and should not be marked

Thanks for your info Bad_Mister. But are you sure? Then how come when I unmark the “Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-2 all MIDI inputs” my Remote daw does not work. It only works when its marked.

Yes with regards to the rebooting Cubase, its unnecessary, but sometimes Windows XP can be quite problematic and unless you reboot your application you won’t see any changes. So its better to reboot to be 100% sure.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2012 @ 11:12 PM
Dily
Joined  11-30-2011

Bad_Mister

With regards to Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-2, well by default its actually marked. I don’t know why but its definitely marked as the default setting. Yes I am referring to the default setting from a clean Cubase AI 5 installation. I am 100% sure because I have been reformatting my laptop and reinstalling my Cubase for the pass 2 months, and each time Cubase will automatically and defaultly mark all 5 ports. Yes I am referring to the complete default setup including the USB driver, Cubase AI, MOX Remote Tools, Yamaha Studio Manager, MOX Editor and MOX Editor VST.

Yes, port 1 to port 5 will all be marked in the ALL MIDI input section by default. If I didn’t read the MOX support forum on ”MOX6/MOX8: Basic Audio Recording” I wouldn’t have known port 2 to 5 should be unmarked.

From my understanding any default setting of a device should be the factory setting or the most basic workable settings. Personally, I just don’t think it makes any sense for customers to have to refer to the MOTIFATOR forum for even for most Cubase/MOX basic/default setup.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2012 @ 12:59 PM
moxmix
Joined  11-20-2011
Dily - 10 January 2012 09:18 PM

Make sure your Yamaha Steinberg USB driver is installed properly by checking this:

In Windows

1. Start >> Control Panel >> Sound and Audio devices
2. Click the Audio tab
3. In the Sound Playback section make sure the Yamaha MOX6/MOX8 is in the dropdown list.

Don’t select it, just make sure its there. If it isn’t, reinstall the USB driver again. Once its there, your Cubase AI should then be able to pick it up.

Yes, the MOX appears in the Audio-Tab (in the playback and record-dropdown list it appears) until i switch the MOX on. But no entry in the MIDI-Dropdown-List.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2012 @ 01:02 PM
moxmix
Joined  11-20-2011
Dily - 10 January 2012 08:23 PM

In the meantime when the MOX play some music there is an reaction in one cubase levelmeter.

In your Cubase AI 5

Devices >> Device Setup >> MIDI Port Setup

1. MIDI In Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-1 - In ‘All MIDI Inputs’ - [x]
2. MIDI In Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-2 - In ‘All MIDI Inputs’ - [x]
3. MIDI In Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-3 - In ‘All MIDI Inputs’ - [ ]
4. MIDI In Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-4 - In ‘All MIDI Inputs’ - [ ]
5. MIDI In Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-5 - In ‘All MIDI Inputs’ - [ ]

Restart Cubase AI 5

Information
* MIDI In Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-1 is the default MIDI port
* MIDI In Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-2 is for DAW Remote - If you disable this your DAW Remote will not work.

I use Windows XP as well. Mine Is the XP Professional.

Thats one of my Problems as i described above, there are no MOX-MIDI Entrys there only the Windows-Machine Standard-Wavetable Device.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2012 @ 01:21 PM
moxmix
Joined  11-20-2011

Pictures say more than thousand words…

Another Problem is the eLicenser, i create an account on the Steinberg-Page, receiver the Code for Cubase AI5, enter it in the eLicenser but then the error-message appears (Photo) that the server is unreachable. In my Software-Firewall i gave the eLicenser a free way through.

Image Attachments
MIDI-Port-Setup.jpgeLicenser.jpgMOX6 VST.jpgMOX 6 VST (2) (Port Open Error when it starts).jpgUSB-ASIO-Propertys.jpgVST-Instruments.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2012 @ 05:45 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

@moxmix
According to your screen shots, the program (Cubase) did not see the MOX connected at the time you launched it or the MIDI PORTS of the MOX are in use elsewhere. Both are possibilities. To trouble shot this you need to be methodical. Here’s somethings to know:

The MOX must be connected via USB to your computer when you launch Cubase - during launch, Cubase will ‘survey’ the connected devices and if the driver is properly installed (and it appears to be) it should then populate your MIDI > MIDI DEVICE SETUP screen, (and select the MOX6/MOX8 driver, etc.)

Because you only see the default Microsoft synth, it means that the program (Cubase) is unaware of the USB-MIDI connection between your MOX and the computer.

The Editor VST Setup screenshot is reporting that the ports for the MOX are already in use elsewhere or existed at one point but are not unavailable. The yellow error message on the Setup screen is showing that the ports exist/existed, but are not available. So the question and solution may lie in where are they being used? Did you default them to connect elsewhere?

So this begs the question:
Did you previously open and setup the STUDIO MANAGER with its EDITOR?
You may have set STUDIO MANAGER as your default and the PORTS are dutifully available for the STUDIO MANAGER version of the EDITOR. If you want to switch your “preference” to using the EDITOR VST, then you will need to undo the preference that has STUDIO MANAGER grabbing the MOX ports by default. (I know you probably thought is was a good idea to check that option at the time, but I find it best to leave the SET DEFAULT option not checked until I’m sure of how I want to work).

There are several things to check but take it a step at a time. Troubleshoot it in a specific order. This usually helps. So from the clues you have given thus far:
1) Make sure you have the MOX connected an powered ON when you launch Cubase.
2) Verify your MIDI PORT setup
3) If you did work previously with Studio Manager, let us know and we will show you how to stop it from (doing what it ‘thinks’ you want) grabbing the MIDI PORTS for the EDITOR.

Let us know.

Thanks for your info Bad_Mister. But are you sure? Then how come when I unmark the “Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-2 all MIDI inputs” my Remote daw does not work. It only works when its marked.

@Dily
yes, I am sure. I know you have been working with it for two months, I’ve been working with Yamaha for 24 years, I’m going to have to trump you here.
:-)

I know you are trying to help - but that setting can actually cause problems, trust me. (I deal with problems all day, every day). :-)

You should set the “REMOTE DEVICE” Port in its own FOLDER
Go to DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP > REMOTE DEVICES Folder
Here (if the extensions were installed) you will find the MOX6/MOX8 device. Here you can select a discreet PORT (PORT 2) for all Remote communication. This is the port that MOX uses for REMOTE CONTROL messages.

The idea is to keep the REMOTE CONTROL data separated from your music performance data… If you do not - front panel buttons will start sending NOTE-ON Data and worse!!!!!

Trust me, I would not steer your wrong.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2012 @ 06:46 PM
Dily
Joined  11-30-2011
moxmix - 11 January 2012 12:59 PM

Yes, the MOX appears in the Audio-Tab (in the playback and record-dropdown list it appears) until i switch the MOX on. But no entry in the MIDI-Dropdown-List.

It appears until you switch on your MOX? Do you mean its actually there when your MOX is switched OFF? Thats weird! It should only be there when your MOX is ON, not OFF. How come yours is the opposite?

Which driver did you use? The Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver or the USB-MIDI driver?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2012 @ 06:52 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The first screen shot shows the correct “Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO” driver.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Replacing classic Motif with MOX
Next Topic:

HELP CONNECTING MOX TO A COMPUTER ››