mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "No level in input mixer"

Posted on: January 05, 2012 @ 09:20 AM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2034
Joined  01-29-2004

It’s very possible that my brain has ceased to function :).

However, I hope someone can spot what is wrong.  I have set up a new project and want to record some audio. Although I have not recorded audio for some time, I thought I knew what to do.  However I cannot get any level in the input mixer.

I am using a mic into an RME Fireface.  All is set up correctly, with the RME audio channel out being Analog 1. The VST connections in Cubase are set up correctly (I think) with the Input Bus being assigned to Analog 1. (Mono track).  The RME mixer shows the signal at both its input and output stages, no problem. The input mixer of Cubase is set to Mono In.  But the problem is that, on a sound check into the mic, there is no level showing in the Mono In of the Input Mixer. 

By the way, it is not the firewire connection between the computer and the Fireface, as other projects play back fine.  Any ideas?

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2012 @ 12:30 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5327
Joined  12-23-2002

Bit of a puzzle there, Peter, as your description suggests that everything should be working, but it’s not. I will add that this type of thing might be solved in about 30 seconds if someone could go over the routing in person with you, but as you know something like this is not easy to do on a forum. It’s possible that a setting is simply not set correct, either in the RME mixer or in Cubase.

When you talk about the input mixer of Cubase, are you saying that there is no activity on the Cubase input channel fader (in the Cubase mixer) for that RME input? If there isn’t, then obviously the signal is not even reaching Cubase. If it’s, not perhaps try a different input via the RME device, and double check both the RME Matrix and RME mixer. In Cubase, make sure, in the Inspector, the correct input for the audio channel on which you wish to record is set correctly and, of course, that the record button and monitor button on the track are on.

I know...you’ve probably already checked a lot of this, but do try to go through the routing chain one step at a time, form the beggining of the chain. Somewhere, you’ll find your answer. Also, are you able to feed an audio signal from a keyboard into Cubase and record it? If you can then even that will tell you something about where the problem might lie. Hopefully it’s something simple, but let us know if we can be of further help..............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2012 @ 01:17 PM
PeterG
Joined  01-29-2004

Hi Frank, Yes, it’s puzzling.

Re:  When you talk about the input mixer of Cubase, are you saying that there is no activity on the Cubase input channel fader (in the Cubase mixer) for that RME input?

Yes, exactly that. No activity on the input fader.

I have tried most of the things you say, including other inputs, so it sure beats me!

Over the next couple of days, I’ll start again and go through it all.  Hopefully i will stumble on the problem.  It’s got to be something simple.  That is of course, if something is not actually corrupt/broken/ disconnected!

Cheers, Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2012 @ 01:37 PM
PeterG
Joined  01-29-2004

Hang on.  Just tried again.  I now have the keyboard into input 1 and out of Analog 1 of the RME. Now I can see the keyboard audio in the Cubase input fader of the stereo channel set to input of Analog 1.

I now switch (in the RME) the output of the mic to the same stereo out channel as the keyboard.  The activity in the input and output channel of the RME shows strongly, just the same as the keyboard. But no signal in the input fader of Cubase!

Does that give a clue?

(The mic is dynamic (Shure 87B) and the input gain on the RME is up full).

?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2012 @ 03:01 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Why I suggested trying a keyboard. :) That narrows it down to the RME/mic. Cubase is obviously seeing those RME outputs. Is your RME mixer showing the same type of input and output signal with the mic as it is with the keyboard? Did you check the matrix settings?
Do you have another mic you can try..e.g. one that requires phantom power? At least you know now where to focus.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2012 @ 04:02 PM
PeterG
Joined  01-29-2004

Re : Is your RME mixer showing the same type of input and output signal with the mic as it is with the keyboard?

Yes, more or less the same levels.

Re : Did you check the matrix settings?

Yes. I have tried different inputs and outputs, but how I have it at the moment is that the keyboard comes in 3 and 4 and goes out on 1, The mic comes in 7 and goes out also on 1.  And on the mixer you can see that the mic is showing a level just as the keyboard. So I have a keyboard signal and then a mic signal going out of the RME at the same place.....but only one arrives in Cubase!  (Obviously I try them a different times!). That’s what i don’t get. What would be the difference as far as Cubase is concerned?  By the way, I have tried the Shure straight into an amp and it is fine.

Re : Do you have another mic you can try..e.g. one that requires phantom power?

Yes, I have a Rode NT that I can try, so I’ll give it a go in the morning.  Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2012 @ 09:17 AM
PeterG
Joined  01-29-2004

OK, I’ve fixed it!

The problem, as Frank had suspected, was in my mixer (RME).  Despite my earlier checks, its was set wrongly. Actually, it was a case of not seeing the wood for the trees, as can happen when you are absorbed in setting up the routing.

Thanks Frank, as you quite rightly advised that it is necessary to go step by step through the signal chain, checking and rechecking.

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2012 @ 06:48 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Good news, Peter. So pleased it’s solved. That RME mixer and Matrix can be tricky sometimes, and I’ve spent time myself fiddling with it before I was successful. If the settings are what you might use again in the future, then one can always save them as Preset of course. I also did a screen capture shot of one complex set of settings that I did, and hopefully it will help if I ever have to do it again some day. Cheers..................frank

[ Ignore ]