mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Record from 2 Motif keyboards"

Posted on: December 30, 2011 @ 04:59 PM
jgodow60
Total Posts:  30
Joined  07-10-2007

I have a Motif Classic-8 and a Motif XF-6.

Interested in recording from both keyboards - multiple tracks - piano, strings, brass, etc…

Currently, any recording I do on the Motif Classic plays the sounds through the Motif, but only piano sounds when I transfer he song to a computer.

Without investing in Pro-Tools type software, what device would anyone recommend?  I see Alesius IO Dock advertised as a potential, Tascam Recorders, etc…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 31, 2011 @ 01:15 AM
selbalicious
Total Posts:  207
Joined  09-30-2011

Personally...were I in your particular shoes, I would aim for a hardware standalone solution.  My choice would be the Zoom R16.  16 tracks (8 recordable at one time, so you could have both keyboards running into 6 (or possibly 8) channels of the R16.  Up to 24-bit recording and just one HECK of a recorder.  Uses standard HD SD cards (I typically use 16Gb cards from Radio Shack or Walmart).

I have TWO of them and use them at least 3-4 times per month to record our live performances and they just work great.

There’s a forum at: http://zoomforum.us/viewforum.php?f=17 that will totally support you (gee...kind of like Motifator!!).

I’m “selbalicious” over in that forum.

Anyway...that’s my recommendation.  You can find them used on eBay for probably around $250 and new they are $350 or so.  I bought one new from a local music store and then bought one off eBay.  Both work completely fine and are great boxes!  Love ‘em!

Kevin B. Selby
http://kevinselby.com <-- Peaceful Music
http://facebook.com/BajaDunes <-- Live Performance

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2012 @ 01:11 AM
kabuchi7
Total Posts:  374
Joined  03-08-2004

Hi

Excatly how do you record live?

what i want to do is record the band live but will want to do a mix down from the recording on the zoom of each individual track. How do you get individual signals from the mixer board into the zoom so as to do a proper mix down afterwards of each track?

thnx
hope my question is clear enough

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2012 @ 01:09 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I have a Motif Classic-8 and a Motif XF-6.

Interested in recording from both keyboards - multiple tracks - piano, strings, brass, etc…

Currently, any recording I do on the Motif Classic plays the sounds through the Motif, but only piano sounds when I transfer he song to a computer.

Without investing in Pro-Tools type software, what device would anyone recommend?  I see Alesius IO Dock advertised as a potential, Tascam Recorders, etc…

We are unclear about what you mean when you say:
“Currently, any recording I do on the Motif Classic plays the sounds through the Motif, but only piano sounds when I transfer he song to a computer”

How are you transferring to the computer?
Computers by themselves do nothing with your music, is their a program that you are using?
Are you attempting to record MIDI or AUDIO?

Did you know: You can record your song directly to the Motif XF6 (it has the ability to record audio directly to its internal memory nothing else to buy)?

Take the L/R audio outputs of the Motif Classic and plug them to the A/D INPUTS of the Motif XF and use the Motif XF’s Integrated Sampling Sequencer to record your compositions`.

Please try and give us an idea of what your ultimate goal is before you unnecessarilyt spend more money (we are not against you spending more money, per se, but just trying to prevent you from doing so when you may not have to… let us know

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2012 @ 01:13 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R16/

Watch the videos.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2012 @ 01:14 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

to kubuchi7:

Excatly how do you record live?

what i want to do is record the band live but will want to do a mix down from the recording on the zoom of each individual track. How do you get individual signals from the mixer board into the zoom so as to do a proper mix down afterwards of each track?

If you have questions about the ZOOM you can contact selbalicious over at his ZOOM forum - don’t hijack the OP thread - it gets far, far from topic. Thanks. Or simply start a new topic.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2012 @ 01:51 PM
kabuchi7
Total Posts:  374
Joined  03-08-2004

hi Bad Mister

Sorry about that. My apologies...will do.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2012 @ 03:51 PM
jgodow60
Joined  07-10-2007

Replying to Bad Mister’s comments - Thx for reply and I’ll try to expand on what I am trying to do.

I’ve recorded songs on my Motif Classic-8 and transferred them to Smart Media card and then to my PC as a Music file.  I do not have any software installed on my PC like Pro Tools, etc.. so my files only play the piano sound.  (On my Motif, I can hear all the tracks I recorded (pianoe, string, wind instrument, etc...)

Now with the great sounds of the XF which does not use Smart Media, what is the easiest method to record multiple tracks (some from the Classic, some from the XF) which will allow me to then playback the file on my PC and/or share w/ others, burn a CD, etc…

I see Tascam recorders come w/ some pre-loaded software, others require the purchase of some software.

When I inquired at a local music store, the salesperson recommended the Alesius IO Dock or an M-Audio recorder which required a Pro-Tools version to work with. Anywhere from $200-$800 which is quite a range.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2012 @ 08:51 PM
selbalicious
Total Posts:  207
Joined  09-30-2011

I’m partially responsible.  Sorry about that.  It just seemed that the OP was looking towards stand-alones...and while DAW’s are excellent, in most cases, a stand-alone solution (especially if it’s drop-dead simple) can get most new users up and running very quickly (mainly cuz they don’t have to fight with the DAW and the keyboard talking).

Anyway…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2012 @ 12:38 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The Motif XF can be used to create your .wav file. Connect the L/R outputs of the Motif Classic to the A/D INPUTS of the Motif XF. Use the XF’s Integrated Sampling Sequencer to build your tracks - it can route tracks internally to the XF or externally to the Motif Classic. When you build up your sequence you can output the data to either a USB drive connected to the XF’s TO DEVICE jack or you can establish an Ethernet connection directly to your computer. A maximum of 74 minutes record time per song.

The XF can output a file at CD quality - a stereo 16-bit, 44.1kHz .wav

How to make a .WAV for CD /MP3 creation

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2013 @ 04:29 PM
jgodow60
Joined  07-10-2007

OK - haven’t purchases yet to support multi-track, layered recording from my Motif Classic 8 and Motix XF6.

Musicians Friend recommended a Tascam DP-006 which would allow me to layer 6 tracks between both boards.

If everything already exists in the Motif XF6, than I am investing in more hardware than I need.

Again the issue was I can record in Song mode from my Motif 8 and playback through the Motif includes all sounds.  Playback/recording to a CD on my computer plats only piano sounds as I do not own any Music Software on my computer.

Also have an original IPAD and interested to see if anything would work w/ that as well.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2013 @ 09:21 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
jgodow60 - 10 November 2013 04:29 PM

OK - haven’t purchases yet to support multi-track, layered recording from my Motif Classic 8 and Motix XF6.

Musicians Friend recommended a Tascam DP-006 which would allow me to layer 6 tracks between both boards.

If everything already exists in the Motif XF6, than I am investing in more hardware than I need.

Again the issue was I can record in Song mode from my Motif 8 and playback through the Motif includes all sounds.  Playback/recording to a CD on my computer plats only piano sounds as I do not own any Music Software on my computer.

Also have an original IPAD and interested to see if anything would work w/ that as well.

jgodow60, have you considered framing this question as a new thread on the XF Forum page?  Seems like you would get a lot more potentially helpful traffic there than on this “On Stage” page!

[ Ignore ]