mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Improvements on XF"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: December 27, 2011 @ 02:39 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
emaruffi - 27 December 2011 12:39 AM

[...]I often play a Performance with of a couple of layered pianos and pads, and I adjust the individual layers’ volume as I play, which works very well to differentiate the sections of a song. Now let’s say one physical slider is at 50%, while the volume in the voice is stored as 85%. If I want to lower the volume I have first to go up and then go down which is not totally natural.[...]

Yes, but if the control didn’t act in that manner, and you adjusted the volume while playing, as soon as you slightly moved the slide control the level would jump from (in your example) 85% to 50%. Imagine what would happen if the stored value was at 100%, but the slider was at minimum (0%), or vice versa.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 27, 2011 @ 03:17 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
5pinDIN - 27 December 2011 02:39 PM

Yes, but if the control didn’t act in that manner, and you adjusted the volume while playing, as soon as you slightly moved the slide control the level would jump from (in your example) 85% to 50%. Imagine what would happen if the stored value was at 100%, but the slider was at minimum (0%), or vice versa.

You’re right! I think in the absence of motorized sliders (which would obviously have added to the cost), the current implementation is very well thought out.

Perhaps what the OP is asking for is a switch to enable the following behavior:

Say you have the current position of Slider 1 corresponding to level 85. Now with this new switch enabled, when you would select a new Performance in which the stored level of Part 1 was 50, rather than recalling the stored level 50, the level should be reset to 85 without you having to move the Slider. There should be no jump in the volume level in this case.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 27, 2011 @ 04:26 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The request for how the sliders work is reasonable as it has been implemented in the S90XS/S70XS - there is a parameter that allows you select either an immediate “jump” or the current “catch” where you need to move the fader to the current value and hook it.

catch - The Slider operation will not affect the value immediately while it will affect the value after the Slider position reaches the position corresponding to the current value.

jump - The Slider operation will change the value immediately from the current value to the new value corresponding to the Slider position.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 27, 2011 @ 05:09 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
Bad_Mister - 27 December 2011 04:26 PM

jump - The Slider operation will change the value immediately from the current value to the new value corresponding to the Slider position.

From the description, it seems as though one would have to operate the sliders before the part levels jump to the physical positions of the sliders from the stored levels.

I don’t know if that’s true or not, but if is, then perhaps a third option where all the Part levels get automatically set to the current physical positions of the sliders as soon as you select a new Performance would also be useful. The same could also be implemented for Element levels in Voice mode. In Song/Pattern mode, however, things are tricky as there are 16 Parts but only 8 Sliders.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 27, 2011 @ 07:06 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Bad_Mister - 27 December 2011 04:26 PM

The request for how the sliders work is reasonable as it has been implemented in the S90XS/S70XS - there is a parameter that allows you select either an immediate “jump” or the current “catch” where you need to move the fader to the current value and hook it.

The request is reasonable, but my comment was related to emaruffi speaking of operating the control while playing. In that case, the result of a jump could be a little disconcerting.

I see value in the jump option, but mostly when doing setup or editing. I have at least one synth with sliders that only jump, and for playing that can be quite annoying.

This reminds me of a situation where the problem was that a synth (not a Yamaha) was sometimes randomly changing “patch” parameters as it was played. It turned out that some of the sliders were dirty, making unstable contact when vibrated due to key operation in particular. This synth had no “catch” feature - slight resistance changes in the sliders were interpreted as intentional movement, causing the settings to drastically shift.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New XF user, no sound when I turn it on.
Next Topic:

Problem to setup FW16 with Cubase ››