mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Transposing one part in a performance - I’m trying, what am I missing?"

Posted on: December 19, 2011 @ 11:38 PM
drkeys88
Total Posts:  27
Joined  08-24-2011

I am finally venturing out and trying to learn how to create layers and splits.
I am trying to create a performance very simple.
It’s a basic split, Clav on bottom and Horns on top.
The Horns I need to bring down an octave in the performance.
How do I do this?

I tried using the split function but couldn’t find the place to do it.
Then I thought I might have to create a new horn patch transposed down an octave but that didn’t seem to work either.

Please help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 19, 2011 @ 11:44 PM
drkeys88
Joined  08-24-2011

Just figured it out via another thread!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 20, 2011 @ 05:30 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The purpose of the forums is help others… The parameter that you were looking for is not TRANSPOSE, but NOTE SHIFT. In the language of the MO-X synthesizer TRANSPOSE and NOTE SHIFT, while similar, are defined slightly differently.

TRANSPOSE is an act of changing the KEY but with the addition that it is a function of TRANSMIT. So when you Transpose the Keyboard or the Sequencer, it is an act of transmitting data.

NOTE SHIFT is act of changing the KEY but with the addition that it is a function of RECEIVE. So when you NOTE SHIFT a Tone Generator PART it is an act of receiving data.

So what you wanted to do in your PERFORMANCE was “NOTE SHIFT” the PART. Therefore you would look to do this as a tone generator PART parameter.
Press [EDIT]
Editing is going to be either “COMMON” parameters or individual “PART” parameters
Press a button [1]-[4] to select one of the PARTS of your PERFORMANCE
Press [F4] TONE
Press [SF1] TUNE
Here you can NOTE SHIFT the PART by semi-tones +/-24 (two octaves). 

NOTE SHIFT versus TRANSPOSE
Here is where it makes a difference:
1) when attempting to look something up in a Yamaha manual
2) When you consider what goes OUT via MIDI

When you see a parameter that is “TRANSPOSE” it is either the KEYBOARD or the SEQUENCER (transmitting devices) that are being changed. And if you TRANSPOSE something, that change will go OUT via MIDI. Say you TRANSPOSE the Keyboard or a Sequencer Track +7, when you hit middle “C” all receiving devices both internal and OUT via MIDI will sound a “G” above middle “C”.

However, what you did want is to “NOTE SHIFT” a PERFORMANCE PART (receiving device) so the key that you play if it goes OUT via MIDI is not changed, but the internal tone engine of the MO-X is changed. Say you NOTE SHIFT the PART +7, when you hit middle “C” all external devices will still sound middle “C”, but the internal PART will sound “G” above middle “C”.

“Transpose” goes OUT via MIDI
“Note Shift” affects only the internal tone engine

Hope that helps others reading this thread.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 23, 2011 @ 03:48 PM
drkeys88
Joined  08-24-2011

Thanks for clarifying. I’m off and running and really starting to enjoy the capabilities!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2011 @ 06:49 AM
Dily
Total Posts:  258
Joined  11-30-2011

I have no idea note shifting is available on the MOX. I usually use Cubase to do that for me. :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2011 @ 09:07 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Er, no, you use Cubase to “TRANSPOSE” for you. Again NOTE SHIFT is something you do to the tone generator, and is RECEIVING.

If you change the KEY something is playing back (which is TRANSMITTING), in Yamaha terminology you are TRANSPOSING.

That was the point of my explanation… hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOX8 case
Next Topic:

Audio Track Record Button triggers midi ››