mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Opening MIDI files"

Posted on: December 18, 2011 @ 10:04 PM
J_D_S_Y
Total Posts:  115
Joined  11-01-2011

Hey,

So I use a qy700 and a qy100. These both are good machines for writing and have the capability of saving your songs as MIDI files.

I was curious if the MOX was still MIDI compliant in that I could take songs from my other boxes and open them as songs in a MOX song location. That would be great because I have lots of unfinished ideas on my other boxes and when I get the MOX i want to be able to finish them off with the better sounds of the MOX.

(so far I have taken audio from the qy’s and adding to them on computer, or taking the MIDI files from the qy’s and using software synths and samplers to make the finished song)

So can the MOX open MIDI files, and what would be the process of putting them into the machine?

thanks,

Joey

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2011 @ 10:23 PM
J_D_S_Y
Joined  11-01-2011

I found in the reference manual a way to ‘play’ midi’s but I want to be able to open them, or print them into a song on the MOX.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 19, 2011 @ 01:40 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

So can the MOX open MIDI files, and what would be the process of putting them into the machine?

The MO-X is, of course, MIDI compatible. We think you really mean if it is General MIDI or XG compatible. And the answer there is: yes, some what.

Your goal is to move the data into the MOX and take advantage of its sound set. So you do recognize that the MOX sound set is different from the typical GM/XG engine. There will be Voice selection compatibility but there will not be full GM/XG compatibility.

What this means is your data that works in the QY’s will be easily ported to the MO-X, but anticipate that you may have to re-work some of the data. Particular when it comes to things like FILTER settings. The GM/XG modules filters are very basic compared the 18 different dynamic filters you have in the MO-X engine.

How filters are used within a VOICE is to allow a musically relevant increase in high harmonics as velocity is increased. This is where the filters in a sample playback engine like the MO-X shine. In many cases, a small move in a GM/XG filter setting can cause a major response when applied to the MO-X filters. In GM/XG authoring, I know filters are often used to brighten or darken a sound in lieu of having an individual EQ on each Part… well with the MO-X you don’t have to use the filter to do this, you have a proper 3-band EQ on each Part!

Drum tuning is another area that is completely different. In GM/XG modules like the QY’s the edits are done with SYSEX and CONTROL CHANGE messages in the SETUP BAR (one measure out front that has all the coded messages). In an instrument like the MOX, you can store your edits to each VOICE. That is the major difference. So things like NRPNs that are used to tune XG drums are not going to be relevant in the MOX, at all. In the MOX you can edit each drum in a 73-piece kit and store it as a custom USER DRUM kit!

So most of the data in the setup bar will either be ignored or should be ignored. Your mileage will vary.

Ok, here’s how the GM BANK works: The MO-X is not GM, nor XG compatible, what it has is a pseudo-GM bank. The 128 normal GM sounds are listed and recalled by GM Bank Select and Program changes… it responds to GM Reset as well. So the QY Flute will recall a MO-X Flute, the QY Acoustic Bass will recall a MO-X Bass… but of course, you are free to pick any VOICE in the MO-X’s extensive library.

In the MO-X what Yamaha did was rather than put a smaller GM sound set chip in the instrument, they opted to just configure 128 MOX-quality sounds - just placed them in the order of the GM listing. They only provide one GM drum kit, so you may find some issues if other kits were used. However, most all of the MOX Drum Kits follow GM mapping.

Loading a .MID file
Go to SONG mode on locate a blank song
Press [FILE]
Press [F3] LOAD
Set TYPE = SONG
Move the cursor to the list and highlight your .MID file
You will be asked to target a SONG location
Pres [SF1] EXEC to execute

The QY’s are awesome. You simply have to load the .MID file to the MOX and begin to re-voice the data. You can view the EVENT LIST and you will find many of the same sequencer JOBS you are already familiar with!

Let us know how you make out. If you get stuck, post back here!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 20, 2011 @ 07:00 PM
J_D_S_Y
Joined  11-01-2011

Thanks Phil,

Sounds like it’s easy as pie to work with the old MIDs I’ve made.

-JDSY

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ overdub over patterns
Next Topic:

MOX8 case ››