mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Cubase AI5 VST Midi"

Posted on: December 14, 2011 @ 02:05 AM
JSmoothKeys
Total Posts:  99
Joined  03-16-2011

Hi. I am using Cubase AI 5. After I load a VST Instrument, is there any way that I can assign the volume of the VST Instrument to a fader/knob on my keyboard controller (ex. learn midi)? Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2011 @ 02:33 AM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

It would help if you mentioned which instrument you are asking about, but, in general, it depends entirely on the VSTi and how it is written. With many of the better VSTi(s) one can right click on some of the buttons or sliders and assign controller numbers via “MIDI Learn”. In fact, with some software it’s absolutely essential to be able to do that. Your manual for a particular instrument should tell you what you can and can’t do. But this option is NOT standard in ALL instruments. With many of the smaller ones, the option is not available.....frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2011 @ 02:44 AM
JSmoothKeys
Joined  03-16-2011
frankE - 14 December 2011 02:33 AM

It would help if you mentioned which instrument you are asking about, but, in general, it depends entirely on the VSTi and how it is written. With many of the better VSTi(s) one can right click on some of the buttons or sliders and assign controller numbers via “MIDI Learn”. In fact, with some software it’s absolutely essential to be able to do that. Your manual for a particular instrument should tell you what you can and can’t do. But this option is NOT standard in ALL instruments. With many of the smaller ones, the option is not available.....frank

Hi. I am using “Neo-Soul Keys” for Windows. By right clicking on some of the buttons, I am able to “learn midi” for the volume of the instrument itself, and for the volume of the effects separately. But I was wondering if there was a way to keep the volume of the instrument and the volume of the effects at the level that it is presently, but adjust the main volume for the entire VST Instrument with “learn midi”, because I didn’t see that part in the manual, and I couldn’t find a way to do it with Cubase.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2011 @ 12:29 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

.??? Why? You already have a mixer with faders to do that. If you want to move faders, you can use automation or controllers like the CC121 or the new fader module from Steinberg, or other MIDI controllers that can control a fader. But that’s not something done via MIDI learn. And just a reminder; you are using a free lite version of Cubase, so if you want more of the features that the commercial versions offer, like being able to work more effectively with controllers designed for DAWs, you’ll want to upgrade.......frank

PS: C/O
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/controllers/cmc_series/models/cmc_fd.html

(AI 6 included)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2011 @ 02:58 PM
JSmoothKeys
Joined  03-16-2011
frankE - 14 December 2011 12:29 PM

.??? Why? You already have a mixer with faders to do that. If you want to move faders, you can use automation or controllers like the CC121 or the new fader module from Steinberg, or other MIDI controllers that can control a fader. But that’s not something done via MIDI learn. And just a reminder; you are using a free lite version of Cubase, so if you want more of the features that the commercial versions offer, like being able to work more effectively with controllers designed for DAWs, you’ll want to upgrade.......frank

PS: C/O
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/controllers/cmc_series/models/cmc_fd.html

(AI 6 included)

Thanks for you help. So if I’m understanding correctly, there isn’t anyway that I can use the faders on my Motif XF to adjust the volume of the VST Instrument without purchasing another piece of equipment? So if I press “F3” (which loads up the Cubase Mixer) on my laptop within Cubase AI 5, I won’t be able to control the volume of the mix with my keyboard faders, I will have to control the mixer volume on my computer? (SN: I’m not sure if that make sense what I’m saying)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2011 @ 03:39 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
JSmoothKeys - 14 December 2011 02:58 PM

So if I’m understanding correctly, there isn’t anyway that I can use the faders on my Motif XF to adjust the volume of the VST Instrument without purchasing another piece of equipment?

In Remote Mode you can control the Cubase mixer tracks, which will do what you want.

If you need more information on how to do this than is in the XF manuals. let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2011 @ 07:53 PM
JSmoothKeys
Joined  03-16-2011
meatballfulton - 14 December 2011 03:39 PM
JSmoothKeys - 14 December 2011 02:58 PM

So if I’m understanding correctly, there isn’t anyway that I can use the faders on my Motif XF to adjust the volume of the VST Instrument without purchasing another piece of equipment?

In Remote Mode you can control the Cubase mixer tracks, which will do what you want.

If you need more information on how to do this than is in the XF manuals. let us know.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2011 @ 08:29 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Re. “there isn’t anyway that I can use the faders on my Motif XF to adjust the volume of the VST Instrument without purchasing another piece of equipment?”
---Actually, just for the record, I for one certainly never suggested or implied that. In the beginning you were talking about using MIDI learn and VSTi(s), then I suggested that you could do what you wish using the faders in Cubase. I then went on to say that you required a hardware controller and posted some examples. There certainly are some synths that have controller features and what they can do depends on the synth or workstation. We hadn’t gotten as far as whether or not you could use your workstation to remotely control some aspects of Cubase :) In fact you never even mentioned an XF until post #5. Anyway, just wanted to clarify. Everything I offered above is still valid and I responded to what you were asking at the time :) ...................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Wavelab 7.2
Next Topic:

Q about FW16e and MR816x daisychain ››