mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Cubase AI5---CPU load?"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: November 23, 2011 @ 12:12 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Looking for a meter that gives more information than VST Performance, specifically CPU load. Does one exist somewhere in the program?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2011 @ 06:33 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The VST PERFORMANCE shows the load on your computer via two segmented graphs -
1) how much CPU muscle is used by the ASIO driver.
2) The bottom half of the PERFORMANCE display is the DISK access transfer load.

If you get red on the ASIO driver your CPU is struggling to keep up. If you get a red indicator on the bottom your drive is having trouble accessing the number of tracks (faster disk is necessary or reduce the number of tracks).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2011 @ 12:54 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002
meatballfulton - 23 November 2011 12:12 AM

Looking for a meter that gives more information than VST Performance, specifically CPU load. Does one exist somewhere in the program?

---A short answer is no. For true CPU load, if you are on a PC, use Task Manager. Someone somewhere may have come up with a plug-in, so check that out, and if I come up with anything I’ll report back. Bad Mister’s description of the “Performance meter” is very accurate, and it matches what Steinberg has always stated about it. It’s not what some people often assume. :) frank

PS: Read more here:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct09/articles/qa1009_1.htm

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2011 @ 02:19 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I’ve found mostly that computers cannot be used to measure themselves (the statement is as necessary as almost anything you need to know about computers). I remember being shown how a load meter was actually causing more issues than what it was trying to measure the impact of in the first place.

Mostly you have to accept that we are in the early era of using computers for music (they will get better, they have to… IMHO)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2011 @ 03:06 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002
Bad_Mister - 23 November 2011 02:19 PM

I’ve found mostly that computers cannot be used to measure themselves

I totally agree; even using Task Manager falls into the category of a computer measuring itself. Hopefully in the future, new products will be readily available to the average musician or consumer, but for now we can only come ‘fairly close’ using tools like Task Manager in the computer whose performance we wish to measure. Good point............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2011 @ 05:19 PM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005

I’m on Mac and the built-in utility Activity Monitor gives me CPU load information.

The reason I asked is I am trying to decide which DAW I am going to continue forward with...Ableton Live, Cubase (AI5 at this point) or Reaper...and CPU load is very important to me because it impacts how many plugins and softsynths I can run as well as latency/buffer sizes when tracking (I can always increase buffers at mixdown if I need to). 

Thx for the answers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2011 @ 06:14 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

To be fair (to yourself) in your comparison however, you should consider the full version of Cubase - the reason it is the “full” version will have a lot to do with what you are considering. The full commercial version will give you the best idea of what Steinberg has done in the ability to run tons of plug-ins and softsynths, simultaneously.

And while AI is nice, really nice, and will standup well with full versions of other software, you have to appreciate that VST and ASIO are Steinberg’s thing. The whole VST3 protocol (and what is so exciting about it, to me anyway) is that it is like dynamic allocation for your processors. It is that big an advance.

In other words, sure it takes time for things to filter through the music production industry, but something like VST3 which allows the CPU resources of plug-ins to be dynamically allocated, so that an EQ doesn’t have to grab and hold resources just to be open, it only uses resources when it is actually processing data. When the track is silent the resources are available. That’s huge…

Sometimes when you see the potential of something you just know it is a matter of time before it is a widely available standard.

So knowing that is where Steinberg is going with all of this - they are very focused on the very thing you are talking about CPU resources and their availability. VST3 is a very BIG first step in increasing the power of your CPU… I cannot imagine a plugin company that would not want to take advantage of this protocol. It’s only a matter of time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2011 @ 07:46 PM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005

Of course CPU loading is not the only thing I’m worried about. Live, Reaper and Cubase all have different strengths and weaknesses that I have to weigh.

To be honest, I’m not that crazy about Cubase in general but since it’s so well integrated with the Motif I keep trying to like it more ;)

Again, thx for all the responses.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2011 @ 08:47 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

IMHO, Live and Reaper are not comparable with Cubase 6, but having said that the DAW that a person may favour and will best suit their needs depends on so many factors that no one can really tell someone else which one they should choose. When compared with the other major programs like Logic, Pro Tools and Sonar, Cubase is reported to be the most intuitive and it certainly leads the way in VST technology. I’ve worked with all of them, but my own choice is Cubase, not because it’s the absolute ‘best’ in every area, but because it’s the strongest in the areas that I feel are important for my work. And overall, it’s a pretty solid program with a ton of useful features. In any case, do compare and select what you feel meets your requirements, but before you rule out Cubase, I hope you’ll take some time to work with the full version and not base your conclusions on just AI. Otherwise it won’t be a fair comparison. HTH............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2011 @ 09:57 PM
Dily
Total Posts:  258
Joined  11-30-2011

I love Cubase. But not the AI though. The AI is not bad too but the features on it are limited. Steinberg has shrunk Cubase too much and made it look like its made for novices. For example, there is no sound warp, loop browsers, Audio-to-MIDI and beat designers in AI. You only find these cool features in the full Cubase. It’s probably the reason why the AI has been bundled as a FREE software with some Yamaha/Steinberg hardware, not as a separate paid products like the full Cubase.

I think Steinberg should allow the AI to be freely available for downloads. It will increase awareness and provide better upgrade possibility for new users. Imagine a new user is starting out with AI and then realizes its such a great little tool and want an upgrade. He/she then realizes there is no trial version of the full Cubase available freely for download from Steinberg. At this point he/she is forced to try other products like Pro-Tools, Sonar X1, Acid Pro, FL Studio etc etc. The next thing you know the user has completely moved away from Cubase.

Thats why Pro-Tools has been a de-facto tool for sound engineers these days. Furthermore Avid keeps improving the product year after year. Now its at version 10 while Cubase is at 6. This obviously means that their users volume has been growing rapidly. And how long has Avid been in business? Less than 20 years while Steinberg has been one of the very first players in this market.

I must say Cubase 6 is a great tool. I am using Cubase 5 (full version) so version 6 must be great. But judging from the way Steinberg is doing business I think many of its current users will eventually defect. It’s just a matter of time.

I started using Cubase AI 5 three months ago. I loved it but it quickly grew out of me. In less than 3 weeks I have tried all the features on it. Then I wanted to buy Cubase 6 but I was reluctant to spend $600 without trying it first. I paid for Cubase AI 5 by purchasing a Yamaha product. In a way Cubase AI isn’t exactly free because in the first place you need to pay for something to get it. Fair enough! I love it anyway. But now I want to get the full version but I ain’t going to pay again just for a trial run.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2011 @ 09:58 PM
Dily
Joined  11-30-2011

Sorry for hijacking again. :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2011 @ 11:36 PM
meatballfulton
Joined  01-25-2005

i forgot to mention back in November that to even run the demo I have to buy a dongle, so if I decide not to go ahead with Cubase 6 I’m out $28.  Not real user friendly, I’m just saying,,,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2011 @ 11:41 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Re: “Then I wanted to buy Cubase 6 but I was reluctant to spend $600 without trying first.
---$600?? where did you get that figure. Are you not aware of the current upgrade paths from AI to one of the commercial versions? For example the upgrade from AI to Artist is only $149, and it’s $299 to upgrade to Cubase 6. See this thread and then check it out:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/457796/

Re. “I paid for Cubase AI 5 by purchasing a Yamaha product.”
---I have to disagree; AI 5 was “free” bonus that came with your Yamaha product. AI cannot be purchased.

I think it’s important to keep in mind that AI is a free light introductory version of Cubase provided mainly by Yamaha as a bonus, and a way to say that if you like AI, then why not consider Cubase. Currently there are also terrific upgrade paths to the commercial versions. That is the way things work. I understand your points, even though I don’t agree with all your conclusions, but my feeling is that seeing some of the features is often enough for many people to make an informed decision. I also suggest that whether one DAW has a trial version or not, it doesn’t matter some of the time. It also doesn’t mean that, for example, ProTools is superior to Cubase...or vice versa. I’ve worked with each of the major DAWS at one point or the other, and am of the opinion that all of them have good points and all have bad. Overall, Cubase is one of the best there is, and its features far outnumber those of ProTools. There is room for all opinions and all choices though, so all I can recommend personally is that choose what one feels works best for them, and then work with it. Trial version or not Steinberg sales show that a lot of people have selected Cubase..........frank

PS: Meatballfuton, all I can say is that if you plan to continue to advance in music, at some point you’re not only going have to buy a Steinberg USB key, but an iLok dongle as well. Dongles are not just restricted to use with Cubase. I have over 10 licenses on my Steinberg keys and 17 on iLok II. :) IMHO, dongles are not something that should be a major factor when considering which DAW to buy or use.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 25, 2011 @ 05:24 AM
Dily
Joined  11-30-2011

frankE

How much does it cost to upgrade from Cubase AI 5 to Cubase 6? Lets say I am to buy it online? 

And by the way Cubase AI is not exactly FREE. You have to buy a Yamaha or Steinberg hardware to get it - which means you must first pay for something in order to obtain it. Other than paying for something from Yamaha or Steinberg there isn’t any other way to get it. To me that’s not free at all. Nonetheless I still had to fork out my cash to get it. Fair enough to say that nothing is free in this world but in light of fact that other DAW makers are providing trial runs without forcing users to pay for what they do not need, I think Steinberg should follow suit and compete aggressively.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 25, 2011 @ 01:33 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Dily, you can find out about upgrade prices simply by visiting the Steinberg web site.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/shop/buy_product/product/cubase-6.html

The upgrade to Cubase 6 from AI is currently $299, half of what you suggested. There are also upgrade paths from other versions of Cubase.

I note in your previous post that you suggested there were no Cubase trial versions (“He/she then realizes there is no trial version of the full Cubase available freely for download from Steinberg”). Of course that is not correct. Click here to choose which trial version of Cubase interests you.

Re. your comments about AI, some might suggest that you have a rather cynical approach to the free bonus gift you received. However, if you are not happy with your gift, please ‘feel’ to return it for a full refund of $0 US. :)

Now perhaps we can turn this post back to addressing the concerns of the OP? :) Thanks..............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 25, 2011 @ 02:27 PM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2052
Joined  01-30-2004

“However, if you are not happy with your gift, please feel free to return it for a full refund of $0 US”.

Now that’s funny :)

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Cubase 6.0.5
Next Topic:

Cubase AI5 to Transpose Audio File ››