mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "A simple arp question"

Posted on: November 19, 2011 @ 07:32 PM
stevens
Total Posts:  44
Joined  11-10-2011

Hello everybody!
I´m a proud owner of a mox8 and this is my question:
When I create a drum arpeggio from a two bar drum track (midifile) everything goes right! But when I create a simple arpeggio from a two bar keyboard pattern (midifile), my mox plays a completely different pattern. The midifile goes F Ab C F, F Ab C F etc But my mox8 goes something like F C Ab C F F F C F Ab etc.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Steven

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2011 @ 11:29 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Creating an arpeggio is all about knowing the CONVERT TYPE.

Drum arpeggios, since the note in the pattern are likely to be the same over and over, use a CONVERT TYPE called “FIXED NOTE”. This works for drums because the pattern is typically fixed to specific notes: Kick, Snare, Hihat, etc.

If you have musical phrase, like a bass line, you might want to have it play a fixed note arpeggio pattern but you might want to be able to transpose it up or down according to the key of the music. This is a CONVERT TYPE called “ORIGINAL NOTE”. It plays a fixed pattern but will adjust the key according to the Note you set as the Root.

If you have a chord dependent musical phrase, you would probably use the CONVERT TYPE = NORMAL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2011 @ 01:33 PM
stevens
Joined  11-10-2011

Thanks Bad Mister. I have already done what you described, but the problem remains. My mox plays the arpeggio in a very different way compared with the midifile. Why?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2011 @ 03:47 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I really did not describe anything for you to do. (?) You need to tell us how *you* converted the data ? We still don’t know that. If the arp is not doing what you expect you’d also need to tell us what you expect it to do. Is a a single note line or is it chords?

There is also a unique note limit to arpeggio data (16 unique note numbers can make up the phrase). For example, when creating a drum arp, you are limited to 16 different drum keys. The phrase can be hundreds of note long but it must consist of just 16 different (unique) key numbers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2011 @ 05:00 PM
stevens
Joined  11-10-2011

Yes, of course I know there is a limited amount of note numbers I can use. In this case there is just 4 notes: F2 Ab2 C3 F3. I expect my mox to play this sequense as a arpeggio (the midifile is a 4/4 two bar arpeggio consisting of these notes).
I have put track to arp type: normal.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2011 @ 05:22 PM
nauform
Total Posts:  122
Joined  06-16-2011

@stevens
I have no problem to create your arp.

What notes are you playing?
Are you playing F2 Ab2 C3 F3 at the same time?
In [SONG] -> [JOB] -> [F5] 07:Put Track To Arp , are you setting Meas001-002 before press [ENTER]?

@Bad_Mister
16 key numbers limit?
Where is the info about arp limits? I don’t see it in the MOX docs.
How many measures?
How many events?

I need the info to create compatible arps.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2011 @ 07:00 PM
stevens
Joined  11-10-2011

Thank you nauform! That´s very kind, but I think I must understand how to do the trick.
The original midifile plays the notes one after the other in two bars (or measures? I`m not native english).  Yes, I´m setting Meas 001-002 before[ENTER]. When Im playing the chord (Fm) my mox plays a different arp (in Fm). Its not a very big deal, but I would be glad to understand how to do it right

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Octave Adjustment for Performance split MOX6
Next Topic:

Voice Banks ››