mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF or Korg Kronos..which one to pick?"

Page 2 of 11
Posted on: October 31, 2011 @ 12:25 PM
youdog
Total Posts:  482
Joined  01-31-2009

Apex Yamaha said the motif has been the best and has out sold korg, roland,kurzweil, and all other workstation.

Roland said the Famton G is it.

Many said XS and the XF are about the same on this forum.

I play on the Kronos,XF,XS,M3,Nord,KurzweilFamton G about 4 to 5 days a week. I’m head of keyboard/software at a music store.

Korg said the gave has change.
Maybe Yamaha,Korg,Roland lie.
What assumptions u talking about.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2011 @ 12:38 PM
Apex
Total Posts:  683
Joined  10-21-2005
youdog - 31 October 2011 11:36 AM

Roland dont make workstations now because the motif xs out sold the famton g.

ASSUMPTION!!!!

Motifs havs beeb beating the Famton ass for yrs. Now has Roland gave up and this is Korg last try.

ASSUMPTION!!!!

If u can wait for NAMM 2012 Yamaha will not gave up like Roland.

ASSUMPTION!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2011 @ 07:09 PM
Chrisk-K
Total Posts:  44
Joined  05-11-2011

Yamaha has been on top of the workstation game for 11yrs now but this time Korg kick there ass.  This should be the XF vs M3.
Why would u pick a XF over a Kronos i dont know. 

Since you don’t know, I’ll let you know.

1. The construction of the XF is much superior to that of the Kronos.
2. Many individual instrument sounds of the XF are superior to those of the Kronos.  Sure, many of the Kronos sounds are top notch (e.g., EPs).
3. Some people are less enthusiastic about the characteristics of the Korg sound.  To me, the Kronos sounds bright and has hi-fidelity characteristics.  Another way to decribe it is it sounds thin. For example, I recently saw Derek Sherinian using a Kronos for most of his synth parts at a Black Country Communion concert. I couldn’t believe how thin it sounded.
4. The XF is cheaper than the K.
5. In terms of DAW integration, the XF rules. 

Most keyboardlist can see,hear or feel that the XS and Xf is about (98%) the same.

All people can see,hear and feel that the M3 and Kronos is not the same.

You’ve never taken a logic course, have you? You logic goes like...A is similar to B.  C is not the same as D.  Now, how do you compare B to D?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2011 @ 07:32 PM
wildpaws
Total Posts:  300
Joined  11-23-2004
EXer - 31 October 2011 10:05 AM
PSALM23 - 28 October 2011 05:23 AM

Rumor has it that the XF will be replaced

Imo the future Yamaha competitor to the Kronos should be a multi-synthesis worksation.

I would be happy if Yahama could release an EX5 II (or whatever they call it) with all the modern technology. But I’m wondering; they haven’t released a new VA, VL, FM or FS instrument for a long time, so:

Do Yamaha still have in-house expertise to design a multi-synthesis synthesizer ?

I have for years advocated that Yamaha come out with an updated SY99 type synth adding VA, VL, FDSP to a superset of the FM/AWM found on the SY99. Yamaha certainly has the experience with the different types of synthesis and with today’s huge RAM availability, better A/D and D/A converters, faster processors, better effects, I can’t help but think that it would be an awesome synth.
Clyde

DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2011 @ 07:49 PM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005
Chrisk-K - 31 October 2011 07:09 PM

The construction of the keyboard doesn’t make as much of a difference if it’s going in a studio and going to sit in one spot.  So this isn’t always an issue for everyone...

2. Many individual instrument sounds of the XF are superior to those of the Kronos.  Sure, many of the Kronos sounds are top notch (e.g., EPs).
There are individual instruments of the Kronos that outshine the XF as well… so either way you go you lose something… but IMO, the acoustic guitars are the ONLY advantage of the XF over the Kronos

3. Some people are less enthusiastic about the characteristics of the Korg sound.  Some people are less enthusiastic about the XF sound because it’s not changed much over the course of 4 keyboards… I had a friend today tell me that specific patches on the XS/XF sound the exact same as the MO… while it may not be 100% true, I think it says alot that they even sound similar… (vintage 74)

To me, the Kronos sounds bright and has hi-fidelity characteristics.  Are hi-fidelity characteristics bad?  or are they just different?  I’ve heard that each type of sound has it’s place...

Another way to decribe it is it sounds thin.

Was it not something that EQ could fix? (although, I don’t think it sounds thin at all)

For example, I recently saw Derek Sherinian using a Kronos for most of his synth parts at a Black Country Communion concert. I couldn’t believe how thin it sounded.

maybe he wanted it to sound the way it sounded… maybe it was where you were standing?  Maybe it was the house sound system… You can’t say that every instance that you’ve heard the Kronos was a thin sounding experience… can you?

4. The XF is cheaper than the K.

Cheaper for a reason?  XF is an XS in a black case… probably very similar components, less R&D;time because the system was already there in the XS… they just added wave forms, the options for the flash boards… of course they can afford to price it lower… (maybe they are just trying to get rid of inventory (parts, etc...) before they come out with the mind blowing synth that will be the next Yamaha Flagship…

And the difference in the price is about $600 (61 keys) and about $400 (88 keys)… if you’re in the market for a top of the line flagship synth… is $600 going to make the difference in the one you pick?… not me!!!  If I wanted the one that was $600 more.. I’d just wait and buy the one I wanted and felt that I needed instead of settling, just to save $600.  But that’s just me!!!

If you’re using a DAW… this would matter.  But if you’re not… it means nothing!!!  But if you are using a DAW, you could just run your audio direct through your interface… “integration...” what does that mean to you???

And for the record, if you’re going to purchase an XF and get the “advantage” that the XF offers… you will spend MORE money than just purchasing a Kronos… If you’re NOT going to purchase the flash memory, then you may as well just purchase an XS… and the firewire interface… is another purchase you’ll have to make to fully load your XF.  The Kronos comes out the box with 2gb ram (very soon expandable to 4gb) and a USB audio interface.

Most keyboardlist can see,hear or feel that the XS and Xf is about (98%) the same.

All people can see,hear and feel that the M3 and Kronos is not the same.

Is this statement for or against the Kronos?  It seems like it’s in the Kronos favor… Which is it? LOL

Also, just for the record.  I’m not against the XF.  I just think we as “posters” that are helping others with their purchase decisions, should give a fair shake to both sides, and not just a biased opinion that is in favor of one board… At least when we compare the two.  Now, if you’re going to post and just state facts about your experience with one board or the other, then GREAT!!!, just be fair in your comparisons… I think the people asking the questions, would appreciate a fair response, vs a one sided one… So bring both sides to light...not just the side that you’re in favor of.

Make sense?!?!?!?!?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2011 @ 08:13 PM
PSALM23
Total Posts:  25
Joined  11-07-2010
Apex - 31 October 2011 07:49 PM

The construction of the keyboard doesn’t make as much of a difference if it’s going in a studio and going to sit in one spot.  So this isn’t always an issue for everyone...

I would say that build quality for most musicians is very important. Having the Kronos for two weeks, I would say the touch and feel of the XF is definitely superior. The knobs, switches, buttons, and sliders all have a higher quality appearance and function. There are uneven gaps in the keys on my Kronos. The screen is too busy. It takes too long to boot up. The touch screen does always function on the first try. Way too many early software bugs. It definitely needs refinement.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2011 @ 08:45 PM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005
PSALM23 - 31 October 2011 08:13 PM

I would say that build quality for most musicians is very important. Having the Kronos for two weeks, I would say the touch and feel of the XF is definitely superior. The knobs, switches, buttons, and sliders all have a higher quality appearance and function. There are uneven gaps in the keys on my Kronos. The screen is too busy. It takes too long to boot up. The touch screen does always function on the first try. Way too many early software bugs. It definitely needs refinement.

I know build quality is important… I just said it’s not as big a deal when you are just leaving it in one place in the studio.

As for the issues that you’ve had… all new products have to go through some level of refinement.  I too own a Kronos and I don’t have any issues at all with the unit that I received.  You could buy some different kind of slider knobs and put them on your Kronos (if you don’t like the default ones)… it’s a standard size connector (I think...), the ones from the m3 fit.

As for your screen issues… and booting up… That’s got nothing to do with keyboard construction and build quality.

They are working on an update and hopefully it will fix some of the software glitches that we’ve been hearing about.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2011 @ 09:14 PM
MarPabl
Total Posts:  560
Joined  09-08-2011

If you expand the Motif XF to the fullest, it’s always more expensive than Kronos…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2011 @ 12:06 AM
youdog
Joined  01-31-2009
Apex - 31 October 2011 08:45 PM
PSALM23 - 31 October 2011 08:13 PM

You hope u dont know?
Are u saying screen issues and slow booting up not a big deal in the studio.
Who pay $3000 to $4000 for a keyboard then pay $400 for slider buttons switches knobs.
Quality is very imortant.
Funny only ur board don’t have slow boot up, screen issues, cheat buttons, sliders, knobs, switches

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2011 @ 12:28 AM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005

Build quality doesn’t have much to do with issues you’re having with your screen…

what I said, construction of the keyboard is not as much of an issue when the keyboard is going to sit in one place in a studio and not being gigged constantly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2011 @ 07:46 AM
youdog
Joined  01-31-2009

The End!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2011 @ 09:03 AM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005
youdog - 01 November 2011 07:46 AM

The End!

lol

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2011 @ 12:52 PM
videorov
Total Posts:  31
Joined  12-13-2010

Step into the future and buy the Kronos. You will love it and
what is to come in the future for it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2011 @ 01:32 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

If you’re using a DAW… this would matter.  But if you’re not… it means nothing!!!  But if you are using a DAW, you could just run your audio direct through your interface… “integration...” what does that mean to you???

Yamaha has done a rather poor job showing how Remote Mode works. It has nothing to do with audio routing.

No other workstation has this feature and it dates back to the original Motif. I can control so many things on my DAW from the Motif panel like channel selects/mutes/solos/record arm, mixer levels and panning, FX sends, etc. I never bonded with Cubase which is a shame because with Cubase you can do even more like dial in the channel EQs and control VST parameters, again all from the Motif panel.

The icing on the cake is that no user programming or loading of “templates” is required as with other controller keyboards. If you are using Digital Performer, Cubase, Logic or Sonar everything is set up ready to go. I use it with Ableton Live where it works though with less functionality.

Kronos has no similar feature, period.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2011 @ 01:59 PM
Apex
Joined  10-21-2005
meatballfulton - 01 November 2011 01:32 PM

Yamaha has done a rather poor job showing how Remote Mode works. It has nothing to do with audio routing.

No other workstation has this feature and it dates back to the original Motif. I can control so many things on my DAW from the Motif panel like channel selects/mutes/solos/record arm, mixer levels and panning, FX sends, etc. I never bonded with Cubase which is a shame because with Cubase you can do even more like dial in the channel EQs and control VST parameters, again all from the Motif panel.

The icing on the cake is that no user programming or loading of “templates” is required as with other controller keyboards. If you are using Digital Performer, Cubase, Logic or Sonar everything is set up ready to go. I use it with Ableton Live where it works though with less functionality.

Kronos has no similar feature, period.

See again… assumption.  They do have a similar feature.  It’s called external control mode and it was on the m3 as well.  (maybe even the Oasys)

You can turn the control surface on the synth into a control surface for WHATEVER external piece of gear/software that you choose.  There are some preset templates that are already set up for you to use with some common software programs and VSTs, but you’ve also got a means to set up your own custom set ups. 

Now maybe it’s not as robust as the way that that Motif implements it.  But to say there is not a similar feature is just WRONG and INCORRECT INFORMATION!

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 11