mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to use a midi controller to “Control” Your motif?"

Posted on: October 27, 2011 @ 06:39 AM
FMGProductions
Total Posts:  2
Joined  10-27-2011

Hey guys I’m new to motif’s. I’ve done a bit of research but I just can’t find anything on this…

I’d like to know if it’s possible to use a midi controller to “control” my motif XF8. Space is an issue for me unfortunately, my desk isn’t very big so I’ve put another desk in my room to the right of me and the motif sits on there, I find it very weird to have my monitor’s on the left of me, so I’d like to know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this has already been answered.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2011 @ 06:58 AM
maahou
Total Posts:  106
Joined  07-17-2011

You could use the Apple ipad application made by Yamaha in order to control a lot of parameters on your Motif XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2011 @ 07:31 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

Not sure what exactly your particular workflow is - but you may also want to explore using the Motif XF as a REMOTE CONTROL surface to control your computer software.

I purposefully placed my computer and Motif XF where I cannot easily get at it. Strange, I know but here is the method to my madness. I am constantly trying to challenge myself to use the XF as a REMOTE CONTROLLER. By placing it where it is inconvenient for me makes me aware of exactly everytime I have to leave one position to control the other device.

For example, once I’m in a mode where I’m recording musical tracks, I want to minimize my ‘mouse time’ (I call it mouse time but it really is time with my face in the computer) I want to maximize my ‘creative time’ in front of the keys - I force myself to learn to use more and more of the REMOTE CONTROL features and functions. So I kind of flip-flop this, I put the computer on the side and my keys as the center.

So often we fall back on what we already know - I find by forcing myself to depend solely on the XF’s front panel as a control surface for controlling my DAW, and this is actually quite fine. I find that it allows me to be musician when I’m facing the XF and engineer when I (must) face the computer screen.

You don’t have to purposefully force yourself into anything, and I’m not suggesting you do, but you may want to adopt some of the REMOTE CONTROL features that you have available with the XF’s REMOTE layer, you may find that you less and less have to access the computer during the time you want to concentrate on your music (not the software). DAW parameters appear in the XF screen - it is utilitarian, but it works and lets you control the transport, arm/disarm tracks, solo, mute, locate, punch in/out, etc., etc.

The Motif XF EDITOR - when setup and ONLINE, allows you to completely control the XF tone engine from the computer. It is bi-directionaly and simultaneous communication between the hardware and software.

Of course, the ideal situation is always a combination of features and functions that we, as individuals, find we find help us work affectively. For everyone this is always going to be slightly different.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2011 @ 12:09 PM
androcci
Total Posts:  24
Joined  10-27-2011

im almost in the same situation. but i want to connect my motif xf8 to cubase but i can’t. i try to find a guide on how to install it but at the moment nothing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2011 @ 12:34 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  9584
Joined  09-16-2010
androcci - 27 October 2011 12:09 PM

im almost in the same situation. but i want to connect my motif xf8 to cubase but i can’t. i try to find a guide on how to install it but at the moment nothing.

If you’re using an FW16E, see:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xf_ysfw_setup_windows_with_cubase
---or---
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xf_ysfw_setup_mac_with_cubase

Have you looked at other articles in the Motifator Support area?
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/xf_articles/
Also, since the XS is similar to the XF, XS articles often are applicable as well.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2011 @ 01:23 PM
androcci
Joined  10-27-2011

i downloaded the extension and yamaha steinberg fw 1.6. but when i click yamaha fw is says the following: “failed to open control paner” do you know why that happens?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2011 @ 01:51 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
androcci - 27 October 2011 01:23 PM

i downloaded the extension and yamaha steinberg fw 1.6. but when i click yamaha fw is says the following: “failed to open control paner” do you know why that happens?

Assuming you have an FW16E, a common problem is incompatible IEEE 1394 (FireWire) chipset or driver installation. For some related information, see:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/453976/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2011 @ 02:53 PM
androcci
Joined  10-27-2011
5pinDIN - 27 October 2011 01:51 PM
androcci - 27 October 2011 01:23 PM

Assuming you have an FW16E, a common problem is incompatible IEEE 1394 (FireWire) chipset or driver installation. For some related information, see:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/453976/

oh gosh sorry dude i just thought was a driver software not an actually piece of hardware. i just checked the back of my motif xf8 which says fireware expansion slot. so i would need that =/

is there anyother other way to sync motif with cubase and use my synth to play upto 16 tracks? like an instrument in there?

i have been using the usb cable for printers to connect to my laptop. so what is that “to host” input in the yamaha motif is for?

so in order to get in real time recording i need the fw16e? im so sorry.. i know im the biggest idiot ever. thanks for your time.

here is the sable i have been using.

Image Attachments
usb-printer-cable.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2011 @ 03:14 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
androcci - 27 October 2011 02:53 PM

oh gosh sorry dude i just thought was a driver software not an actually piece of hardware. i just checked the back of my motif xf8 which says fireware expansion slot. so i would need that =/

Not having an FW16E doesn’t present a problem. The USB connection is limited to MIDI (not audio), but for now that’s probably sufficient. You can always get an FW16E later if you have the need.

I see that you’ve started another thread, and the information there should help:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/457209/

[ Ignore ]