mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOTIF XF hooked up to Yamaha N8 - Problems with Cubase"

Posted on: October 27, 2011 @ 01:30 AM
bwhli
Total Posts:  40
Joined  08-30-2011

Hi,

I have successfully hooked up a MOTIF XF to a N8 into my MacBook Pro. Is there a reason why I can’t take advantage of FW 1-28 all in one Cubase template? I opened up the N8 extension and XF extension, but when I try to make my own template, the max number of channels I can have is 14 x Stereo which only fulfills FW 1-16. Is there something I’m missing here, or is this a limitation of Cubase AI? What I would like to do is have all my MOTIF and N8 channels in one window, so I can record tracks from MOTIF’s digital FW output along with analog outputs from the N8.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2011 @ 03:04 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

when I try to make my own template, the max number of channels I can have is 14 x Stereo which only fulfills FW 1-16.

Not sure how you are attempting to make your own template, can you tell us what you are doing?

You should be able to setup inputs as you require. Below is an example of the XS and n12 setup for 16 plus 16 INPUTS:
Inputs.JPG

You can do a similar thing with the Motif XF and the n8 - where you will have 16 plus 12 Inputs

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 28, 2011 @ 08:05 PM
bwhli
Total Posts:  40
Joined  08-30-2011

Thanks for the response Bad_Mister

Here is a photo that will help explain my problem.

As you can see from the picture, I am able to assign buses to FW1-16. These are inputs from the MOTIF. I am unable to add anymore buses using the “Add Bus” button on the top left for the reminding inputs from my N8. Do you know why this is?

This whole thing is just getting more and more confusing for me. I am on Mac OS X. If I go to System Preferences and set the “World Clock”, does this correspond to the first device in the firewire chain? If so, I have set the N8 to be the first device. So the bus assignments should be the following, correct?

n8-REC Left - YSFW1
n8-REC Right - YSFW2
n8-ST Left - YSFW3
n8-ST Right - YSFW4
n8-Dir1 - YSFW5
n8-Dir7/8 Left - YSFW11
n8-Dir7/8 Right - YSFW12

I have a condensor microphone plugged into the XLR input of Channel 1 on the N8, so it should record to YSFW5 if I’m understanding this correctly. However, it’s actually. I know the condenser is working because the Master Level Meter lights up when I sing into it. However, the microphone doesn’t seem to be routed to YSFW5 which corresponds to n8-Dir1. It is instead being routed to YSFW9/10 which corresponds to n8-Dir5/6 which is stereo. Does anyone have any idea where I’m doing something wrong? I’ve temporarily left out the Motif in my firewire chain until I can record vocals from the N8 into the right channel in Cubase. If I manually switch n8-Dir1 to YSFW9, then it records into the first track of Cubase, but I don’t think that’s right either.

Random question: I was configuring the N8 for recording, and I guess I pressed a wrong button and a really loud noise came out from the speakers and the meter for Channel 5/6 shot up to red. This lasted about two seconds before I stopped it. Did I damage any parts in my mixer and is there someway to tell if I did? The channel 5/6 still works fine.

Image Attachments
Screen Shot 2011-10-28 at 7.03.04 PM.png
  [ Ignore ]