mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XF 6/7"

Posted on: September 07, 2011 @ 09:01 AM
atwaal
Total Posts:  6
Joined  09-07-2011

What is the difference of FSK vs Non-FSK keybeds. How durable is the new FSK keybed used in Motif XF6/7. What is approximate lifetime of this Keybed?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2011 @ 10:03 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Not sure what FSK action is.  We’re pretty sure you mean FSX action. The Yamaha FSX action was introduced a few years ago with the Motif XS, and replaced the long standing Yamaha FS action (which dated back through to the DX7). The old FS action was Yamaha’s top-of-the-line synthesizer action, and was used on literally hundreds of thousands of synthesizers throughout its history (perhaps you are still playing one) - since both the Yamaha DX7 and the Korg M1 used this action it could arguably be the most sold synth action on the planet.

In 2007, due to certain laws in certain parts of the world, using lead as counterweights was officially OUT. The planet is now going “green”, so a non-lead weighted key was developed...the Yamaha FSX action. We’ve received very positive feedback on it - as synth actions go, it is extremely playable, durable and responsive. Yamaha develops and builds all its own actions -as a piano manufacturer keys are one of the keys to the business :-)

The FSX action is the new top-of-the-line synth action from Yamaha (lead free) - response of the synth engine, of course, is adjustable via the VELOCITY CURVE setup - don’t mistake that for how the action plays or feels - in other words you have to adjust the VELOCITY CURVE to your playing style BEFORE you evaluate the action. I’ve been standing there with many a player when the walk up to a synth action and play it and immediately announce “See I don’t like synth actions.” Me, with my sense of humor, I also replay “How can you tell, you haven’t adjusted it yet.” The Velocity Curve while it doesn’t make the keys feel suddenly wooden or weighted, does change dramatically your opinion of how the keyboard feels, plays and behaves.

How long will it last? Your mileage will vary - for some people it will undoubtedly last a lifetime, for others it will not - if you tend to break keys nothing will stop you from breaking keys. I find that it is always the same folks that break the keys (over and over).

Breaking keys is a matter of not understanding that there is limit to how much effort you can apply and get a unique response (once you reach 127 hitting the keyboard harder is just spousal abuse, lol) - but for some players it is all about ‘HOW THEY LOOK’ when they play so the beat the keyboard up… They should just TURN UP (lol) and hit the keys less hard. Under “normal” use, and as mentioned your mileage will vary, it should last the life of the keyboard.

How long will it last? No one knows yet, too soon to know. Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2011 @ 11:30 AM
atwaal
Joined  09-07-2011

Thanks for detailed information about FSK action. Previously I was in impression that FSK might be relating to keyboard’s hardware material of which this keybed is made of. Now I can understand that being today’s top-of-the-line technique, it could have a life of the XF Keyboard itself. By the way, it would be appreciable if
I am able to see some interior pictures of this keybed. Actually, I had a bad experience about cheaper keybeds made of simple PCB board and carbon coatings on that for making the key contacts. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2011 @ 11:45 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
atwaal - 07 September 2011 11:30 AM

[...]Actually, I had a bad experience about cheaper keybeds made of simple PCB board and carbon coatings on that for making the key contacts. Thanks.

If you’re going to base your purchase of an XF solely on that, then perhaps it’s not what you should purchase. The FSX (not FSK) is made just as you described. How a manufacturer implements that type of construction is what’s important. I have no doubt that “cheaper keybeds” might fail readily. In my experience, the FSX action stands up very well to hard usage. Like anything, there can be problems with a few units, but often proper cleaning resolves the issue. It’s also not a bad idea to avoid exposing the keyboard to unusual levels of contaminants.

By the way, do you know the construction details of other manufacturer’s top end keybeds? You might be surprised…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2011 @ 01:01 PM
atwaal
Joined  09-07-2011

My main criteria to choose keyboard, beside having a high-end synth-action keybed would be: 
i) Ability to edit voices on the fly.
ii) Seamless DAW integration. (e.g. especially with Cubase 6)
iii Preferably, direct recording capability into DAW tracks.
Until now, I was considering to choose between Tyros4 and
Motif XF6. Suggestion required.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2011 @ 01:06 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010

Yes to all. Suggestion: Motif XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2011 @ 01:38 PM
joesax
Total Posts:  185
Joined  03-11-2009

Tyros and Motif are both excellent boards. I have Both. But they are very different. I like my Tyros for its easy selection of styles.

The Motif has a different sound world and requires a steeper learning curve to create Performances, Song, Mixes, etc but it is also more powerful in what you can do.

Also the Tyros Styles are very different from Motif Performances. You are not going to find many,if any, Ballroom, Big Band,50’s and 60’s Performances. The Motif Performances are really oriented to more current backing styles.

You have to ask your self what you want to do.

Joe

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 07, 2011 @ 02:40 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
joesax - 07 September 2011 01:38 PM

...The Motif Performances are really oriented to more current backing styles…

There are NO PRESET PERFORMANCES in the Motif. There are only USER performances. Although the Motif comes pre-loaded with many different types of USER performances as examples or as starting points for your own compositions, all of the performances are completely editable. You can also initialize a performance and create your own performance from scratch. You are only limited by your own imagination really. There’s practically no limit to the kind of musical styles you can play on the Motif. About the Tyros, yes it’s powerful and loaded, but as flexible as the Motif, well, I’m not so sure.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2011 @ 09:54 PM
MarPabl
Total Posts:  560
Joined  09-08-2011
atwaal - 07 September 2011 01:01 PM

My main criteria to choose keyboard, beside having a high-end synth-action keybed would be: 
i) Ability to edit voices on the fly.
ii) Seamless DAW integration. (e.g. especially with Cubase 6)
iii Preferably, direct recording capability into DAW tracks.
Until now, I was considering to choose between Tyros4 and
Motif XF6. Suggestion required.

Motif XF and Tyros 4 are quite different boards… Motif XF is a Workstation and Tyros 4 is a PA (professional arranger) Considering your criteria, I can guess that you want to use your DAW to record your keyboard and probably you’ll also add some other soft synths. Considering this, the Motif XF may be a better choice.

[ Ignore ]