mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Why the sequencer memory is 1024 kb?"

Posted on: August 28, 2011 @ 12:15 PM
richardulunque
Total Posts:  25
Joined  06-01-2011

Why the sequencer memory is 1024 kb?

This means that if no charge is 100 midi tracks can I charge him as 70 fantom G midis and a very good option, but the motif is very little,

may be placed Midi files in USB memory or maybe in the Flash Memory and from there play the tracks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 28, 2011 @ 03:09 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The 1024 kB isn’t much of a limiting factor.

The sequencer capacity is about 130,000 notes. The sequencer can hold up to 64 songs, 64 Patterns (256 measures). If you need more room, sequences can be saved to a USB drive as SMF (Standard MIDI File, type 0) .MID files.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2011 @ 02:54 PM
richardulunque
Joined  06-01-2011

ok.......... Thank you

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2011 @ 06:01 AM
Rackthemout
Total Posts:  4
Joined  09-29-2004

I agree about the sequencer memory being too small @ 1024kb.

Example, if I have 20 completed songs composed on the XF, and I want to store all of them on the XF permanently, but I find that I reach the 1024kb limit for when I have stored just 14 of these songs. Then how do I store my remaining 6 songs into the XF ? 130,000 notes is a limitation on the XF ! And this is the situation I find myself in at the moment !

Surely for such an advanced sequencer synthesizer (which also holds up to a maximum of 64 songs), Yamaha could have provided at least 2048kb of sequencer memory. Or an upgrade path possibly to extend this ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2011 @ 07:51 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Rackthemout - 01 September 2011 06:01 AM

[...]Example, if I have 20 completed songs composed on the XF, and I want to store all of them on the XF permanently, but I find that I reach the 1024kb limit for when I have stored just 14 of these songs. Then how do I store my remaining 6 songs into the XF ? 130,000 notes is a limitation on the XF ! And this is the situation I find myself in at the moment ![...]

Do you find yourself in this situation while using a Motif XF, or some other equipment? (The way your post is worded makes it unclear.)

As I mentioned previously, the XF’s sequencer capacity is about 130,000 notes. It’s not an exact number because other MIDI events beside note-on and note-off data are recorded. For example, if recording of aftertouch data is enabled, that can use a lot of sequencer memory. That’s true even for voices that don’t have aftertouch actually controlling anything.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2011 @ 08:55 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The concept is to have enough memory for one set’s worth of tunes. If you are playing longer than the memory of the XF, you ought to consider giving your audience a break - 1MB of MIDI data is a lot to sit through in one sitting as an audience.

During the break you can load your next set of songs.
Also loading an individual SONG from an ALL SONG or ALL data file that has been “prepared” for this archiving purpose takes about 2 seconds so it is not a big deal to load in a single song from a file containing your songs titles, when necessary.

Additionally, songs can be stored as .wav files on a USB stick and streamed in real time from the USB drive or via Ethernet directly from your computer - giving you an unlimited number of songs on your set list. 

Other alternatives include recording your extensive song library as audio waves (this is done right on-board the XF using the FILE > [F4] AUDIO feature), keep the audio permanetly stored on your FLASH BOARDS - with a maximum of 2 GB of Flash you can store over 3 hours and 20 minutes of stereo music files in the sequencer (each SONG can be triggered by a single NOTE-ON event). You never have to load the audio data - it remains permanently loaded on your FLASH boards. The SONG setups would load the one note used to trigger the audio playback and the VOICES you want to use to play along with the file.

If you are feeling ‘restricted’ or ‘limited’ by the 1024KB memory of the sequencer, it is because you have not thought about alternative ways to accomplish your goal. If you were able to get 14 SONGs that’s good, that is more than most people want to listen without a break (how much time does it take to play those 14 songs??? That is a legitimate question you should ask yourself - Yes, you need to take a BREAK… during the break, LOAD the next set. If you absolutely need more than it can hold loading song the normal way - use one of the alternatives above or get an iPOD.

:-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2011 @ 11:24 AM
Rackthemout
Total Posts:  4
Joined  09-29-2004

Thanks for your replies.. 

In my particular instance all the songs that I (and band) have created also have a number of samples within all of them (not just midi data). We also use up to 3 sequencer tracks for light programming (Note-ons etc and program change) in each track. We use this to trigger DMX light controllers for a light rig. We also use the assignable out L & R for click track (L) (from midi data) and separate bass out for mixing (R) - (midi or sample data)
I certainly do not like to bombard an audience with far too many songs. The query really is not about that.
It is very convenient not to have to keep reloading in tracks because of the fact that the keyboard keeps on running out of memory for the sequencer. Because there are samples involved in the tracks also, it is inconvenient once we reload each song, to keep on having to copy the samples into flash from the 128MB Sample Ram. 
Because of this, it is in our instance, very desirable to have as many of the songs permanently loaded into the XF. And only used in Midi and Sample format. This is for either when the keyboard is being used in the studio as well as for live use. 

Maybe we are looking at things simplictically here, but 1024kb of sequencer memory is not enough for what we are doing with this keyboard. Just one more megabyte would make all the difference.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2011 @ 05:28 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

It matters not what you are doing in the songs or that some of the songs have MIDI lighting commands. In the response above you can find a solution. I think you just need to think a bit more about solutions that will work for you.

Storing your music data as sampled audio that can play from FLASH will give you more than enough time. Remember the audio is on FLASH what is in the MIDI track is a note-on event that triggers the audio. You have 15 other tracks to control your lighting or whatever.

Instead of each song being 100K of MIDI data, it is one MIDI note-on (triggers the audio) and your lighting commands. The songs can remain loaded permanently, you don’t have to worry about using the 128MB of SDRAM (unless you want to edit something).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2011 @ 09:50 PM
richardulunque
Joined  06-01-2011

but in the Roland Fantom G7 stores many issues there is no limit of storage, I am clear I can upload a night of issues that are very cute ............ 30 tracks

I say to the yamaha Please note that your memory is 10 mb, or when you buy memory FL1024 is bigger than 1024 Kb memory to 1024mb, would be the most beautiful in the world rely on yamaha and that will make it a update

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 06, 2011 @ 01:14 AM
richardulunque
Joined  06-01-2011

La memoria del secuenciador no estaría nada mal si le agregan 100mb o 50mb
mas de lo que tiene

El motif con esa memoria pequeña no deja de ser uno de los teclados mas buenos que en lo personal me a gusto mucho mucho mucho teniendo el fanton G7 al lado.............

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 28, 2020 @ 12:21 AM
hueyt
Total Posts:  12
Joined  08-10-2016
Bad_Mister - 01 September 2011 08:55 AM

The concept is to have enough memory for one set’s worth of tunes. If you are playing longer than the memory of the XF, you ought to consider giving your audience a break - 1MB of MIDI data is a lot to sit through in one sitting as an audience.

During the break you can load your next set of songs.
Also loading an individual SONG from an ALL SONG or ALL data file that has been “prepared” for this archiving purpose takes about 2 seconds so it is not a big deal to load in a single song from a file containing your songs titles, when necessary.

Additionally, songs can be stored as .wav files on a USB stick and streamed in real time from the USB drive or via Ethernet directly from your computer - giving you an unlimited number of songs on your set list. 

Other alternatives include recording your extensive song library as audio waves (this is done right on-board the XF using the FILE > [F4] AUDIO feature), keep the audio permanetly stored on your FLASH BOARDS - with a maximum of 2 GB of Flash you can store over 3 hours and 20 minutes of stereo music files in the sequencer (each SONG can be triggered by a single NOTE-ON event). You never have to load the audio data - it remains permanently loaded on your FLASH boards. The SONG setups would load the one note used to trigger the audio playback and the VOICES you want to use to play along with the file.

This response is poppycock!  This is a freakin’ $3000+ board and they couldn’t give us a gig to work with!!??  I run lights as well… what if I need a different mix… sometimes I have a bass player sometimes I don’t… same with a drummer and auxiliary keys… so you want me to make a different mix for each situation??? ridiculous!! Yamaha dropped the ball so don’t blame it on the musicians!  They could have even given us an option to add more memory and make some MORE money!  But no, we’re supposed to just live with it!  Meh… I love this board for so many reasons but this is a big fail!

If you are feeling ‘restricted’ or ‘limited’ by the 1024KB memory of the sequencer, it is because you have not thought about alternative ways to accomplish your goal. If you were able to get 14 SONGs that’s good, that is more than most people want to listen without a break (how much time does it take to play those 14 songs??? That is a legitimate question you should ask yourself - Yes, you need to take a BREAK… during the break, LOAD the next set. If you absolutely need more than it can hold loading song the normal way - use one of the alternatives above or get an iPOD.

:-)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Foot controller
Next Topic:

Emanuelsj XS alternative configuration ››