mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Send Part Mute/Track Select via Midi?"

Posted on: August 21, 2011 @ 11:50 PM
vgermani
Total Posts:  50
Joined  07-30-2011

Hi, I have been switching back and forth between song/mix mode and performance mode for playing live.  I hate having to take my hands off the keyboard to either mute parts in perf mode, or select the track I want to be playing in song mode.

Is it possible to send a midi event, either via a midi foot controller or a sequencer to select the right track/or mute the right parts at a specific time?

Here’s an example in perf mode:

part 1-piano
part 2-organ

The perf is set up with only the piano part unmuted.  Play the piano for the intro and verse, then mute the piano and play the organ part for the chorus.

I would like to do that somehow hands-free.

Alternatively, when I have more parts than I can play, in song mode I might have piano on track 1 and organ on track 2 with no data on the tracks.  Other tracks might have other backing instruments.

When I want to play the piano I’m on the piano track and visa versa for the organ.

Is there a way to do track select via midi as well?

Thanks for your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2011 @ 06:43 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Is it possible to send a midi event, either via a midi foot controller or a sequencer to select the right track/or mute the right parts at a specific time?

Yes. You can accomplish something like this using the XF VOICE architecture’s new XA CONTROL parameter to turn ON and OFF Elements within a VOICE.

Is there a way to do track select via midi as well?

No. The MIDI Transmit Channel parameter cannot be assigned to a controller that is transmitting on a MIDI channel (that is a paradox).

That is the short of it.

Using a Foot Switch to select between two sounds
Using the ASSIGNABLE FUNCTION buttons you can program a Piano VOICE so that it plays only when the [AF1] is lit, and then you can program an Organ VOICE so it plays only when the [AF] buttons are not lit. You would construct these VOICES in VOICE mode and then eventually assign both to a PERFORMANCE.

You Program each VOICE using the XA CONTROL parameter to dictate ‘when’ the ELEMENTS of the VOICE will sound:
Piano = XA CONTROL = set each element to “ALL AF OFF”
Organ = XA CONTROL = set each element to “AF 1 ON”
- finally, you can use a FOOT SWITCH (FC4/5) plugged into the Assignable Foot Switch jack to activate and deactivate the Assignable Function switch.

FOOT SWITCH = cc86 (Same as the AF1)

This type of programming is covered in following tutorial: Advanced Appliation Tutorial: Motif XF _ XA CONTROL

As far as switching TRACKS (transmit channels) with something other than the TRACK button, no, of course not.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Flash board - Motif XF - recording time
Next Topic:

flashboard Load/save problem ››