mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "motif es to logic 9…No sound?"

Posted on: August 20, 2011 @ 12:26 PM
stjean56
Total Posts:  4
Joined  08-20-2011

hello, i just got logic to work with my yamaha motif es through USB. I recored everything fine, using the external sounds. saved my work on logic, unplugged the usb, went back to logic and i could not hear what i had just recored. how do i save the external sounds with the MIDI onto logic?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 20, 2011 @ 11:46 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

how do i save the external sounds with the MIDI onto logic?

MIDI makes no sound.

MIDI is a series of coded messages that represent the music - like notes on a score page, they only represent the music… the notes on the page do not make sound.

The MIDI data that you transferred to Logic are like the symbols that represent the music, they do not make sound. They must be interpreted by a device to turn them back into music.

Think of MIDI notes as the holes punched in a roll of paper (as for an old style “player piano"). The paper and holes are not sound, they represent the sound. In order for you to hear the sound you need to play that roll of paper in another or the original “player piano”.

MIDI data - and that is all you can transmit from a Motif ES via USB, is not audio.

You need an audio interface if you want to playback LOGIC without a Motif ES connected. (That said you could assign another tone engine to the MIDI data in Logic - but it will not be your Motif ES sounds, effect, etc.) MIDI data can be used to trigger any MIDI module - each module will have its own unique sound set and sound quality.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2011 @ 02:34 AM
stjean56
Joined  08-20-2011

so there is no possible way of using the motif for MIDI and sound recording? ....the motif has so much more to offer then just being a MIDI controller...i want to be able to use the sounds and effects on the keyboard and record them to logic and have them save to logic as audio and MIDI data. is there a way?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2011 @ 11:15 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Yes, you need to get an audio interface.  Connect the audio outputs of the Motif ES to your audio interface. The interface’s function is to take in the left and right audio outputs of your Motif ES and converting this analog signal to digital signal and move it into your computer.

You should start with researching AUDIO INTERFACES - they come in all types of shapes, sizes and price ranges. You can start here: AUDIO INTERFACES

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2011 @ 09:19 PM
stjean56
Joined  08-20-2011

oh alright! thanks! a few more questions. i have the two L/R audio outputs hooked up to two studio speakers, and my keyboard hooked to my mac by a usb cable. so my question is, what will need to be plugged into what for everything to work, and will i need more cables?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2011 @ 04:31 PM
stjean56
Joined  08-20-2011

i just bought an audio interface. hooked everything up, and now logic won’t recognize anything.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2011 @ 03:55 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

i just bought an audio interface. hooked everything up, and now logic won’t recognize anything

???
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2011 @ 02:28 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
stjean56 - 22 August 2011 04:31 PM

i just bought an audio interface. hooked everything up, and now logic won’t recognize anything.

Have you set up your Audio MIDI Setup on your Mac properly? Go to Mac HD/Applications/Utilities folder, click on ”Audio MIDI Setup”. What comes up first is the audio devices window. Assuming your audio interface is connected to your Mac via USB or Firewire (it is connected, isn’t it?) you should see it listed as an option in both the input and output columns. Make sure you set those both to your audio
interface.

Next, click on the “Window” menu and select ”Show MIDI window”. If your Motif is connected via USB it should show up. If it doesn’t, select ”Add Device” and then name it (something like “Motif” will work fine for the name).

When finished with that, close Audio MIDI Setup and launch Logic. Logic should automatically see your audio interface and your Motif will be automatically connected (or should be),as a controller.

You’re not done quite yet - you need to click on the ”Preferences” icon (next to the Inspector icon at the top of the Logic window) and select Audio. Then click on Devices (it’s the first tab)
and set Device to your audio interface.

Oh yes - you must route the audio outputs of your Motif into the inputs on your audio interface. The outputs of the audio interface should go to
your monitor speakers.

And - you are aware that there is a Logic section right here on this
forum, are you not? You may want to post future questions there, as well
as join this forum and post questions:
http://logicprohelp.com/

[ Ignore ]