mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Transpose a sample"

Posted on: August 17, 2011 @ 09:01 AM
DoubleM
Total Posts:  36
Joined  01-19-2011

Hi there,

I downloaded the Motif ES sample „Children-Choir-The Wall” (THE_WALL.W8A) from the moessieuers website and imported it to my XF7. No problem, works fine. Now, the single samples are all tuned in Cm, but I need the samples in Fm. Is there a way to losslessly transpose the waveform stored on FL1?

Thanks for your assistance!

Michael

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 21, 2011 @ 07:44 AM
DoubleM
Joined  01-19-2011

I´m stuck with this issue.

Can anybody help me please?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 21, 2011 @ 11:20 AM
kridybe
Total Posts:  133
Joined  01-03-2009

Hi, my question is: Whats the adress to the website you downloaded this from? I sure need the sample and it is in the right key form me to use. Sorry I cant help you with transposing

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 21, 2011 @ 12:02 PM
DoubleM
Joined  01-19-2011

Here you go:

http://papanix.free.fr/Moessieurs/voice_samples_es.html

Enjoy!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2011 @ 03:24 AM
MarPabl
Total Posts:  560
Joined  09-08-2011

I imagine that the coarse tune distorts the phrases… I would give a try to the SLICE function (look for a good article on this in the Suppport section for XF) which is originally designed to modify tempo of the samples without affecting them. Maybe, if you apply the coarse or fine tunning to the resulting slices, you’ll get better results.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2011 @ 08:57 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

This might help explain some limitations:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/454998/#511292

See “06: Convert Pitch” on page 132 of the XF Reference Manual, which is meant to change sample pitch without affecting tempo. That page also covers “05: Time-Stretch”, for changing sample length without affecting pitch.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2011 @ 11:35 AM
DoubleM
Joined  01-19-2011

First of all many thanks for your replies and your efforts.

Have to correct myself, the original sample(s) play in Dm, I´d like to transpose ém to Fm in order to do a live mashup of Stayin´Alive/Another Brick in the Wall.

I tried “convert pitch” (as described on page 132 of the XF Reference Manual) last night. Strangely, it sounds then as if a part of the sample changed in pitch (+3), but the original is in the original pitch somehow still there and is overlaid with the revised sample. It sounds confused, very strange! What am I doing wrong, I can´t figure it out?

Cheers, Michael

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2011 @ 04:15 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I downloaded the file from the Moessieurs site. Just to make sure we’re talking about the same thing… you’re referring to the chorus samples as used in the “The Wall” voice? Are you playing that voice, or using the samples in one you programmed?

We have a pretty good “ear” for human voice, so changing it to any substantial degree becomes obvious. However, I’m not sure what you mean by “the original is in the original pitch somehow still there and is overlaid with the revised sample”. Did you convert the pitch of each keybank/sample by the same amount?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2011 @ 08:59 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

What probably happened is that the waveform itself is made up of several samples and you only converted one of them.

Melodyne will do this kind of job in seconds. It’s a bit pricey for software but it’s exactly what you need:

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=products_editor

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2011 @ 10:06 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DavePolich - 23 September 2011 08:59 PM

What probably happened is that the waveform itself is made up of several samples and you only converted one of them.[...]

The waveform is “made up of several samples”, which is why I asked “Did you convert the pitch of each keybank/sample by the same amount?”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2011 @ 03:34 AM
KMKKEYS
Total Posts:  141
Joined  02-16-2009

What you are trying to achieve is quite simple, but it is much easier if you use a program such as Soundforge or even a free program such as Audacity.

I will attempt to attach the setup file for Audacity.  Install this program and I am relatively sure that you will be able to handle the problem.

I hope this helps.  BTW, this program will also allow you to change the pitch of samples, mp3’s, or many other formats while leaving the integrity of the samples intact.

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2011 @ 03:37 AM
KMKKEYS
Total Posts:  141
Joined  02-16-2009

Ok, I tried to attach the file, but was unsuccessful.  Just Google Audacity, download it, and install it.  The rest is simple.  I believe that it has a read me file to help with tasks that Audacity performs.  It is not a real fancy program, but it does the job.

Here is the link:  http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2011 @ 11:27 AM
DoubleM
Joined  01-19-2011
5pinDIN - 23 September 2011 04:15 PM

I downloaded the file from the Moessieurs site. Just to make sure we’re talking about the same thing… you’re referring to the chorus samples as used in the “The Wall” voice? Are you playing that voice, or using the samples in one you programmed?

We have a pretty good “ear” for human voice, so changing it to any substantial degree becomes obvious. However, I’m not sure what you mean by “the original is in the original pitch somehow still there and is overlaid with the revised sample”. Did you convert the pitch of each keybank/sample by the same amount?

Hi 5pinDIN,

yes I´m referring to the chorus samples as used in “The Wall” voice. My workflow was as follows (it´s hard to describe here in the office not having my XF in front of me): Select the voice, =>“Integrated Sampling"=>“Edit", then I tried “convert pitch” (as described on page 132 of the XF Reference Manual) starting with the lowest key bank (which was if I remember correctly E2...). The effect was as described, somehow like a stereo signal converted only left side, right side unfinished, all mixed up.

Since it´s a children´s choir sample I´m not to concerned about obvious changes (Mickey Mouse, eh?), the converted part didn´t sound that bad…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2011 @ 12:00 PM
DoubleM
Joined  01-19-2011
5pinDIN - 23 September 2011 10:06 PM
DavePolich - 23 September 2011 08:59 PM

What probably happened is that the waveform itself is made up of several samples and you only converted one of them.[...]

The waveform is “made up of several samples”, which is why I asked “Did you convert the pitch of each keybank/sample by the same amount?”.

I´m aware that the waveform is made up of several samples. I stopped converting as soon as I obtained the result of the first sample. Did I stop too early?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2011 @ 02:27 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DoubleM - 27 September 2011 11:27 AM

[...] The effect was as described, somehow like a stereo signal converted only left side, right side unfinished, all mixed up.[...]

OK, I tried to pitch convert the samples myself, and I now understand what you’re referring to.

On the Sample Select display, for Sample Property Mono/Stereo it indicates “mono” (on my XS, please verify it’s the same on your XF). However, the sample is obviously in stereo. I don’t know why the Motif sees the sample as mono, but that probably explains the improper conversion.

I resampled the first sample (D2) to an unused key, but chose to record as “monoL&R;”. When I converted pitch of the resampled (now really mono) sample, it of course didn’t exhibit the strange conversion that occurred with the original sample. I next resampled the original D2 sample as “stereo”, and the pitch converted result didn’t have the problem that way either. (However, the effect on the reverb in the sample after pitch conversion is “interesting”.)

I don’t know the details of the Motif waveform/sample format. Typical sample formats have a header that includes, among other things, an indication of whether the sample is mono or stereo. I have no idea if there was a problem with using an ES file, or if the original had incorrect header data, or if the XS (and presumably XF) misread the sample header.

You could resample the keybanks as I did, and pitch convert them. As others have suggested, you might have better luck doing the conversion using software on your computer.

If Bad_Mister and/or Yamaha_US could offer some insight into what’s going on here, that would be appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Flash ram prices dropping?
Next Topic:

Creating a Performance from scratch !!! ››