mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "creating proper gm files tutorial"

Posted on: August 16, 2011 @ 07:56 PM
heehee62
Total Posts:  47
Joined  06-14-2008

creating proper gm files tutorial

What does “GM RESET Command: F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7” mean exactly?  How am I supposed to insert that command.  I’m trying to follow the instructions in the above “creating proper gm files tutorial” but don’t understand what they are suggesting I do.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2011 @ 09:30 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The tutorial explains what the GM Reset does.

Here’s what the GM Reset Command “means”:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tech/midispec/sysen.htm

A blank measure is added to the beginning of the song, and the GM Reset (and other data, as needed) is inserted there. See pages 192-193 of the XS Owner’s Manual and the following:
http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/375328-Fixing_MIDI_issues.doc

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2011 @ 09:30 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

The GM Reset Command tells the Motif (or whatever synth or rack module is playing the GM file) that the file is a “GM format file”.

It is what we call a System Exclusive message. And it is very easy to insert it on any track in your sequence.

1. Go to SONG mode to select your song.
2. Press any of the TRK buttons - for example, the TRK 1 button.
3. Press EDIT
4. You’ll see a screen with three fields at the bottom - View Filter (accessed by pressing F3), Track Sel (accessed by pressing F4) and Insert (accessed by pressing F5). Press the F5 button.
5. Now you will see a field marked Event Type. Change it to “System Exclusive”.
6. Now you can see fields marked Meas, Beat, and Clock. This is the point in your sequence where you will put the system exclusive message. I’d set these fields to 001, 01, and 005.
7. Next to these fields, you’ll see the field marked Data. Highlight it and use the data wheel to select the numbers. They are always in groups of 2. Turn the data wheel to select the first pair, then press the right cursor arrow to move to where you will enter the next pair,and so on. When you have finished setting the GM Reset Command system exclusive numbers, press F6 (SET).
8. STORE your SONG and then SAVE as part of an ALL file or ALL Song file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2011 @ 11:14 PM
Grandpa Mike
Total Posts:  602
Joined  01-19-2009

Not knowing your experience level and realizing that most are not interested in the nitty-gritty of MIDI, I present the following for your consideration…

In addition to what was said above, you can check out the information available at the MIDI Manufacturers Association website.  Just keep in mind that what is presented on this website can be some serious Geek stuff.  They also have some great background information.

If you decide to try your hand at some serious control through inserting SYSEX events in a MIDI file, check out the MIDI Data Table in the Data List manual.  You may be surprised at what you can control with a few SYSEX commands.  You can also play your synth, create a MIDI file and take a look at the events to see what is created.

Always keep in mind that with the exception of specified events (note on, note off, volume, MSB, LSB, etc.), a MIDI file that works on one synth may not work on another due to different MIDI implementations by different manufacturers.  This can also occur within a manufacturer.  For example, SYSEX F0 43 10 4C 00 00 7E 00 F7 tells some Yamaha synths to turn on their XG system.  The XS/XF will ignore the data.

Enough of my babbling…

Best wishes in your musical endeavors.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 17, 2011 @ 12:51 AM
heehee62
Joined  06-14-2008

Thanks a lot guys.  I’ll read through the stuff and try your suggestions out this weekend when I have some time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 17, 2011 @ 06:46 PM
heehee62
Joined  06-14-2008

Looks like I can set everything properly now thanks to you guys except one thing.

I’ve got my insert effects switch turned on for some tracks but not on others.  But the gm reset turns every single one of these off.

How can I program my midi file so that some of the tracks have insert effects switch turned on?  Couldn’t find that option as either a control or program change (though maybe I missed it).

Also, I did the short way of selecting which voice bank to use by doing it as one single program change.  Do most current synthesizers/software accept this short method or do you think I should do it the long way with all the control changes as well?  I want to share this midi file over the internet with others that may have different keyboards.  I don’t necessarily need everyone to be able to use the file easily but most people would be nice.

Thanks a lot everyone.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 17, 2011 @ 07:23 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

If you are saving as a GM file, there are no insert effects involved in a GM file anyway. You might as well remove the insert effects from any voices in your file, or turn them off for any voices in your file. The only effects GM-compatible devices can interpret are the global (reverb and chorus) effects.

There is no true compatability between keyboards. So someone who is using a Korg keyboard and opens your file will not hear exactly what you are hearing.

A GM compatible file MUST use only the GM voice set. The standard for this set was set by Roland almost two decades ago. Personally I think GM blows chunks and should be avoided whenever possible.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 17, 2011 @ 07:35 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

To some degree, whether your “audience” has equipment that’s GM1 or GM2 can make a difference. With effects, for example, GM2 compatible synths will respond to CC#91 (reverb level) and CC#93 (chorus level).

GM info:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tutr/gm.htm

Includes GM2 CC#s:
http://www.infocellar.com/sound/midi/gm1.htm

One thing you can do to “test” your file is to play it on your computer, using whatever GM soundset your sound card has, or GM softsynth that might be available. If it doesn’t sound right doing that, then at least some of your potential audience is going to have a problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2011 @ 05:21 PM
heehee62
Joined  06-14-2008

Thanks guys.  I was using the motif specific voices like Killer Whammy so changed it to GM voices.

Still, I tested my file like you suggested and I must say, it totally sucked.

I guess I’ll just keep the file for myself instead of sharing it.  Maybe I can do better next time now that you guys have showed me how to start it off right.  Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sample re-triggering can cause a glitch on Xs
Next Topic:

FRESH SOUNDS ! ? ››