mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "What mic do you use with your MOX?"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: August 13, 2011 @ 11:30 AM
Anton
Total Posts:  169
Joined  08-26-2002

I am using an old Shure SM58 mic on the input of my MOX.
I tried different setting to get a good signal but I didn’t get a good result, it’s a too soft signal. (It’s a dynamic microphone so no need for phantom power)

Does a SM58 mic have not enought output to drive the mic input of the MOX? Is there any other good dynamic mic I should try to get a decent signal? I know I can use I little mixer but I like to try it without a mixer first. Please let me know what you use.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2011 @ 02:08 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

Make sure you set the MIC/LINE parameter to MIC

Here’s how:
First, turn the A/D INPUT knob all the way down (so that when audio does come out you don’t hurt anyone)
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF6] OTHER
Make sure the MIC/LINE parameter here is set to MIC

Now turn on the A/D INPUT and slowly raise the gain control.

Hope that helps. Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2011 @ 02:49 PM
Anton
Joined  08-26-2002

Thanks for your reply BM

I didn’t mention it in my previous post but I set everyhting as you described above. Reading the manual really helps to get more out of the MOX :)

However the signal is stil very weak for recording. I have the gain and volume both at the max. There is some signal but it is not enough for a decent recording. I have to push the recording a lot with a compressor to get a decent volume, but with lot’s of noise and ofcourse loosing dynamics. 

Maybe my mic is damaged. It’s an over 25 year old rock ‘n roll microphone. That mike can tell you stories.....

I’ll test this old mic later at monday when I am back at the studio.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 14, 2011 @ 03:10 AM
VladimirZ
Total Posts:  17
Joined  07-18-2011

I use excelent “RODE Procaster” dynamic cardiod studio microphone (Australia) -
and it’s work with MOX-8 and male Voice excelent!
(Need XLR balanced > Jack unbalanced cord.)

The Procaster is based on popular Broadcaster microphone -
winner of the Radio World/US National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) award.
The Procaster offers an end-address configuration,
the clarity of Rode’s tailored-for-voice frequency response
and, of course, very low self noise.

This is the same (but maybe better) like famous broadcaster microphone
“ElectroVoice EV RE20” (Stevie Wonder sing on records sessions with this) -
but with better price…

RODE Procaster Microphone Features:
- Dynamic mic with XLR connection
- Ultra-low noise
- Cardioid polar pattern with high 180-degree rejection
- Voice tailored low-cut filter
- Internal pop filter
- Rugged stainless steel body

Look this demo “Yamaha MOX6 Review Part 1”:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ-DH7c2NaI
Listen this video from 7:18 - here is the same microphone -
and as can be seen - Procaster with MOX-6 work very good
(first raw signal, and then assigned the effects for A/D microphone input...).

And here - something about:
“Introducing Rode Procaster”:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KppFvtItxCA

This is not advertising -
I started recording with the microphone still on my Yamaha’s S-900 & S-910 direct plug and also with Mackie Pro-FX8 mixer
in my home studio - and always got beautiful results!

Shure SM-58 is also standard for vocal - maybe your mic is damaged,
also on the market today there are a lot China fakes many famous microphones…

Best wishes!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 14, 2011 @ 06:50 AM
Anton
Joined  08-26-2002

Great to hear that setup works good on the MOX. The youtube videos are great. Rode is on my list to check for a replacement for my old SM58. Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 14, 2011 @ 09:56 AM
VladimirZ
Total Posts:  17
Joined  07-18-2011

Maybe problem is the same like in this post ??? -
“Audio record level “low” when recording via USB using the built-in MOX8 audio interface” ???
Look:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/455725/

As is clear from the reports a problem with USB recording level is not fully clarified…
Maybe this is really problem with MOX or USB driver?

I have not tried yet USB-MOX recording microphone -
just live played MOX & microphone through analog outputs - and all OK…
(In video we can see the same...)

But record microphone through USB Audio MOX interface should be checked…

Unfortunately, I can not check it now -
I’m still just waiting for a new computer for music job.
Perhaps other MOX users can verify this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 14, 2011 @ 03:26 PM
Anton
Joined  08-26-2002

Thanks for the info. It looks like the same problem.
Seems I am not the only one. Hope there is a solution for this.

Today i checked another mic and the results are the same. Very low signal in Cubase. I had to adjust is a lot within Cubase, loosing some signalquality.

I hope this can be adjusted in the MOX in an update.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2011 @ 09:22 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

There is nothing amiss with your MOX and your level. The fact that others have issues setting record levels only proves that audio recording is a bit more complex than perhaps most people think.

First the MIC/LINE setting is a switch to change the overall input sensitivity. MIcrophone is the highest setting and Line level is the lowest setting. Microphone setting (to be set properly) requires two things:

1) the MIC/LINE switch needs to be set to MIC
2) the A/D INPUT gain needs to up 100%

This is one time when all the way up is correct. That is microphone setting. Microphones have the weakest of all output levels -so everything wide open is correct for microphone. YOu need to turn the GAIN UP to max.

Line level is the lowest setting.
The MIC/LINE switch needs to be set to LINE
the A/D INPUT gain needs to be started all the way down (you only boost it if absoutely necessary) All the way down is approx -10

I’m sure it can accommodate inputs between approx -52 and +18 (maybe even +24) I don’t have the exact specs…

There is nothing unusual about having the GAIN setup 100% for microphone gain. Microphone outputs vary, if your microphone is weaker than -60 you may not get enough gain without additional amplification. But for most professional microphones the gain of the pre-amp in the MOX will be fine.

Typical dynamic Microphone = -50
Guitars/Basses typically = -35
handheld players = -10
Pro gear = +4

Also what type of meter are you viewing with low levels (PEAK or VU)?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2011 @ 12:01 PM
rogs
Total Posts:  121
Joined  07-16-2011

Bad Mister is right when he says you will need the gain levels at 100% for mic inputs. The MOX A/D input does not have a very good mic preamp setting - it doesn’t have quite enough ‘gain’, for low output dynamic mics, and it’s pretty noisy, compared to most modern mic preamps - but then it is just an ‘add on’ input for a synth, so you wouldn’t expect too much!!

Using using a dynamic mic, like the SM58, which has the fairly typical ‘lowish’ output level you find on that type of mic, you definitely need the gain all the way up.
And make sure the ‘mono/stereo parameter’ is set to select only the input you’re using. That helps a bit as well. Also set the VCE A/D volume to max (127). Every little helps!

Even then, you’re going to struggle to get enough mic audio for the 2 Vocoder ‘pad’ presets. The other two are OK though.

I’m sure there are ways to modify those preset levels, if you want?

You will get much better results by using a high quality remote mic preamp, and setting the A/D input to ‘line’.

You might have to mess around a bit with grounding, if you’re going to be using the USB connection to your DAW, at the same time as your mixer output to the A/D input. Connecting audio inputs(or outputs) to the MOX, that have a reference to the same ground as the one your DAW computer is connected to, can cause some interesting hums loops—as described in other threads on this forum.
Not much point in getting rid of mic ‘hiss’ and replacing it with ‘hum’. !!

I’m sure Yamaha could turn up the mic gain with a software update, if they thought it necessary, but I’m afraid that would ‘up’ the hiss level as well. Nothing you can do about that in software!!
Might be worth it though, to keep the mic input nice and simple?

Using a remotely (battery) powered electret condenser mic should be better - they have a higher output level - but as described in the manual, you can’t use any mic that needs phantom power (’real’ condenser mics)

I’ve not found any details of the A/D specifications in the manuals (may well have missed it somewhere?) but the actual A/Ds seem very nice. Don’t know if they’re 16 or 24 bit, but they do seem to be pretty difficult to overload.
I think it’s only the ‘high gain’ (mic) side of the preamp that seems a bit poor.

My MOX6 is still a pretty amazing machine, IMHO, and, so far, a slightly noisy mic preamp is the only thing I can fault. And that is pretty simple to overcome.....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2011 @ 11:08 AM
Anton
Joined  08-26-2002

I found out that my old shure SM58 isn’t the best anymore. Another newer mic worked ok. So it’s the old mic causing the problems. Thanks for the help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2011 @ 12:21 PM
cloud777
Total Posts:  181
Joined  06-04-2004
Anton - 16 August 2011 11:08 AM

I found out that my old shure SM58 isn’t the best anymore. Another newer mic worked ok. So it’s the old mic causing the problems. Thanks for the help.

ok cool, what mic did you end up getting?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2011 @ 02:32 AM
masterwren
Total Posts:  4
Joined  09-23-2011

[quote author="VladimirZ"
I have not tried yet USB-MOX recording microphone -
just live played MOX & microphone through analog outputs - and all OK…
(In video we can see the same...)

But record microphone through USB Audio MOX interface should be checked…

Unfortunately, I can not check it now -

any updates on that buddy ???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2011 @ 03:27 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Check this out:

Ellis Hall Performs at ASCAP

All recorded by Ellis in front of a live studio audience (as they say) to a MOX8…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2011 @ 09:54 AM
cloud777
Total Posts:  181
Joined  06-04-2004

hey mister, interesting is there a video of this demonstration?corded by Ellis in front of a live

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 25, 2011 @ 06:47 PM
masterwren
Total Posts:  4
Joined  09-23-2011

thanks BM for the link and for your other helpful contributions to the forum anyways when i checked the link it did mentioned the use of a mixer

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 03, 2011 @ 03:30 AM
mrdelurk
Total Posts:  142
Joined  09-18-2009

All the dynamic mics I tried sound cheap and tinny for my voice, so I use a Countryman B3 condenser for my vocal takes. It has a proximity effect that does wonders.

Due to lack of MOX phantom power, I had to buy a Wharfedale Connect 502 mini-mixer just to power that single mic fed into the Yamaha. The UK-built Connect 502 cost less than a single Made In China AKG phantom power unit, and it sounds good, so hey… let there be a mixer. Even if it “mixes” nothing but a single microphone. :)

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Recording voice mode arpeggios in realtime
Next Topic:

Printing information ››