mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording voice mode arpeggios in realtime"

Posted on: August 13, 2011 @ 09:12 AM
ishagshafeeg
Total Posts:  20
Joined  07-28-2011

Hi guys,
I am finding difficulty how to record arpeggios in voice mode to my sequencer or cubase ai5.
May be I do not know the method how it is done. Kindly advice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2011 @ 11:11 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Recording arpeggios is on the difficult side of the easy-to-difficult scale of things to do:
The easiest way to record arpeggios is to record the data directly to the MO-X’s own sequencer (it is designed for this task). This is pretty easy and straight forward

The other methods involve outputting the arpeggio data to an external sequencer (and this moves to the difficult side of the scale) First let’s explain why:
_ You must synchronize clocks of the DAW and the MO-X
_ You must transmit from the MO-X to the DAW such that the “trigger notes” (those used to start and control the arpeggio) are sent to the MO-X arp and tone generator but are ignored by your DAW, and at the same time the “arpeggio output” needs to be recorded to the DAW. This little FILTER process is important when you think about what you are doing. If you are recording a guitar arpeggio where the arpeggio is a pattern that creates some strumming effects… your TRIGGER NOTES may be a four note chord that you are holding for eight measures. You don’t want to record that, you want to record the dancing Arpeggio generated results of the selected arp type.
_ To do this FILTER thing - you either need to know your DAW fairly well, and you need to setup so that you can work with LOCAL CONTROL ON - this is so the key presses (trigger notes) travel directly to the arpeggiator first, then generate the arp pattern, then have the MO-X send those notes OUT via MIDI to your DAW - your DAW must be set so that the notes “dead end” in the track. You do not, when recording arpeggios, want to echo or THRU the data back to the tone generator. We are recording the MIDI OUTPUT of the arpeggio (which is typically different from what you normally record to a DAW)

Finally after separating the Trigger notes from the Arpeggio generated notes, you have to remember to turn the ARP OFF before you start your DAW playback, otherwise the playback notes start triggering arpeggios of their own!!!

Other than that it is a piece of cake :-)

The MO-X, as mentioned is designed to record it own arpeggio data, here’s a quick look at how it does it:

First, you cannot record to the sequencer of the MO-X from VOICE mode, but you can from either PERFORMANCE mode or from SONG/PATTERN mode. The MO-X uses it own “PART” architecture to allow you to offset certain VOICE mode parameters - these PART parameters will allow you to select a MIDI OUT function for just the arpeggio generated notes (filtering the “trigger notes” from getting recorded to its own tracks). You can record as many as four arpeggio simultaneously from a PERFORMANCE and of course, you can record each track with an arpeggio (each-by-each) if you are in a SONG or PATTERN.

If you wish to record an arpeggio to an external DAW, the Yamaha engineers have worked out a way for a quick setup template to service this task.
QUICK SETUP 2 = ARP RECORD Template designed to enable recording of the normal arps to DAW (works for the typical “sort’ and “thru” KEY MODE arpeggio types
QUICK SETUP 3 = DIRECT ARP Template designed to enable the recording of combination arps to DAW (works for arps that are a combination of direct notes and arpeggiator “sort+direct”, “thru+direct”, etc.

We recommend you move your VOICE either to a PERFORMANCE or SONG/PATTERN MIXING setup and work with arpeggio recording from those modes - using the QUICK SETUP template that best fits what you are attempting to record.

Hope that gets you started. (We will be posting tutorials on this and other arpeggio related subjects in the coming weeks).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2011 @ 12:26 PM
ishagshafeeg
Joined  07-28-2011

Thanks for the information.
But, the type of ARP I created I do not know how to the same on SONG or PATTERN mode.
Quite frustrating how and where to get the information.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2011 @ 05:54 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Thanks for the information.
But, the type of ARP I created I do not know how to the same on SONG or PATTERN mode.
Quite frustrating how and where to get the information.

You’re in the right place to get the information.

If you created the arpeggio data you had to have done it with the sequencer. So we are not sure what it is, exactly, you are attempting to do.

But, in general, if you have an arpeggio type you want to use, it can be assigned to be used by any PART of a SONG/PATTERN MIXING setup. Or it can be assigned to be used by any PART of a PERFORMANCE setup.

To use it in SONG mode or PATTERN mode
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
You can use the numbered buttons [1]-[16] to view and access all of the PART Edit parameters for each Voice.

There is a dedicated [ARP EDIT] button (to the left of the screen) - which will allow you to access the ARPEGGIO parameters - you can select arpeggios for the PART.

If you have created a VOICE with a specific arpeggio pattern, you can have the MO-X automatically copy your arpeggio data to the PERFORMANCE or MIXING setup you are working on.

While in MIXING > EDIT > touch PART [1], then press [F1] VOICE > [SF1] VOICE > The “PARAMETER WITH VOICE” function is responsible for bringing along very important Voice mode settings. (page 117 in the Reference Manual)

Again, the above is just a general idea of what can be done. It is a creative tool - and you will undoubtedly develop some of your own methods to work with it. The arpeggio data is really very powerful and as you will begin to discover, it can be used in a number of different ways.  If you can give us a better idea of what you are working with, we can give a more specific route to go about accomplishing your goal.

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2011 @ 07:49 AM
ishagshafeeg
Joined  07-28-2011

Thanks for the reply.
I am working with MOX and Cubase AI5. As far as I know you can record to Cubase either MIDI or Audio. What I am asking, is it possible to record the arpeggios I play on MOX in VOICE mode to Cubase as an audio file rather than a MIDI file.
If so please advice.
Reg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 15, 2011 @ 04:03 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Yes, of course, it can be recorded as audio to Cubase - it would be the same as recording you playing in real time. Missing from your question is whether or not MIDI clock needs to be involved or you just want to record the audio.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2011 @ 07:48 AM
ishagshafeeg
Joined  07-28-2011

I’m not sure why benefit would be involve the MIDI clock or not. Whatever the reason, I want to record the audio not MIDI in this occasion. Like some one said before on this forum, it is possible on GB. I’m glad you said it’s possible on Cubase. Please explain to me how it’s done as an audio not MIDI.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2011 @ 07:48 AM
ishagshafeeg
Joined  07-28-2011

I’m not sure why benefit would be involve the MIDI clock or not. Whatever the reason, I want to record the audio not MIDI in this occasion. Like some one said before on this forum, it is possible on GB. I’m glad you said it’s possible on Cubase. Please explain to me how it’s done as an audio not MIDI.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2011 @ 08:36 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Connect your MO-X to your computer via USB
Make sure you have the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver 1.3.0 installed
Create a VST CONNECTION > INPUT to receive audio from the MO-X:
Go to DEVICES > VST CONNECTION > INPUT

You need a Stereo Input set to “Yamaha Steinberg USB” as your AUDIO DEVICE, “Yamaha MOX6/MOX8 1” and “Yamaha MOX6/MOX8 2” as the DEVICE PORTs

In the MO-X:
Go to [UTILITY]
Press [F5] USB I/O
Set the Mode = 1STEREO REC (single stereo record)
This will route all MO-X PART sources to USB 1/2

Arm the track, and record

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 16, 2011 @ 12:36 PM
ishagshafeeg
Joined  07-28-2011

In my AUDIO DEVICE, there is Built-in Audio only. Despite I have correctly installed driver as you have mentioned it is not appearing. Please advice on this!
Your help is appreciated!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 17, 2011 @ 08:52 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Okay we have circled the barn completely now. For any more assistance we will need to know the following:
Your Computer type and operating system
Verification that the following (exact) driver is installed: Yamaha Steinberg USB 1.3.0
http://www.yamahasynth.com/downloads/drivers_software/synthesizers/mox/driver/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 17, 2011 @ 12:07 PM
ishagshafeeg
Joined  07-28-2011

I’m sorry if you I have circled you the barn!
My computer type and OS is Mac OS X. Version 10.6.8.
I have verified the Yamaha Steinberg USB 1.3.0
Please advice now.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 18, 2011 @ 09:24 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

In your Cubase setup you have to tell the program to use the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver.

Make sure your MO-X is set to USB and that you are connected via a USB cable to your computer.
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F6] MIDI
Press [SF4] OTHER
MIDI IN/OUT = USB

When you launch Cubase, because you have the MO-X Extension installed, it will ask you if you want to use the Yamaha MOX6/MOX8 as your Audio Device - if you answer yes, it will automatically switch Cubase to the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver.

If you have shut this option OFF previously, then you can manually select the driver within CUBASE:
Go to DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP > VST AUDIO SYSTEM > Select the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver as your ASIO driver.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 18, 2011 @ 01:33 PM
ishagshafeeg
Joined  07-28-2011

I did as you have advised.
Working perfectly.
Thanks.
You have been a great help.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ real time loop remix