mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Starting recording a song or pattern with a key"

Posted on: July 25, 2011 @ 04:58 PM
hasseg1
Total Posts:  34
Joined  08-07-2010

Hi! Is it possible to start recording a song or a pattern with the touch of a key instead of pushing the play button like you can do when starting a recording from Performance mood?

Best regards
Hans

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2011 @ 06:34 PM
nauform
Total Posts:  122
Joined  06-16-2011

[REC] -> [F3] (OTHER) -> KeyOnStart = on
“KeyOnStart” = “on”
When set to “on,” recording starts immediately when you
press any note on the keyboard. Set this parameter to “on”
when using the Arpeggio.

It’s a basic feature in any workstation.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2011 @ 03:38 AM
hasseg1
Joined  08-07-2010

Hi! Yes, this works when recording in performance mode but not when you start recording in song or pattern mode (i.e. using more than 4 tracks). I can’t find this feature in the reference manual either.

Rgds
Hans

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2011 @ 04:38 AM
milari
Total Posts:  179
Joined  01-25-2009

yea if to set the sequencer to start the minute you touch the keys but the trade off is you have no time to feel the groove. you have to know what you are going to do

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2011 @ 07:00 AM
hasseg1
Joined  08-07-2010

Just came from the music store and they couldn’t find the feature either, i.e. starting recording a pattern with an arpeggiator voice with the keyboard as you can in performance recording mode. Any help Mr Bad Mister?

Rgds
Hans

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2011 @ 09:00 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

KEY ON START is available for when you are recording using the ARPEGGIOS and “painting” the result to the sequencer - and is found as part of the direct PERFORMANCE RECORD feature. Many find this helpful because the job of the player at this point is to trigger the start of the arp sync’d to the start of sequencer record - this feature greatly improves the transfer of MIDI data from the arpeggiators to the sequencer (Preventing the player coming a few clock tick early or late - which would throw off the timing of the data transfer. If you are too early (and we are talking just a few clock ticks) all the arp data would be shifted early in time, and if you are too late (by just a few clock ticks) the data would be shifted behind the beat. KEY ON START ensures the coordinated starts of arp and sequencer. (Another parameter is responsible for quantizing the Trigger event)

Key On Start is also available in the PATTERN mode portion of the sequencer where it can be used to start playback of Patterns. (Not Record, Playback only)>
On the main PATTERN screen move the cursor to the [>] RIGHT to highlight the icon of the KEYBOARD
Press [INC] or turn the DATA WHEEL clockwise, an arrow appears to indicate that KEY ON START is active. This works for playback only.

So what to do when you want to have the benefits of KEY ON START but are not using the direct PERFORMANCE RECORD feature?
If you are having difficulty accurately triggering the start of arpeggio recording to a PATTERN or SONG (and you are not using the Direct PERFORMANCE Record function), you can use the SYNC QUANTIZE VALUE parameter to help you. Depending on the arpeggio type being used you can set this to a convenient musical subdivision such that it will automatically correct the note-on timing of the initial trigger event. It is not responsible for quantizing anything but the TRIGGER event.

That is, when set to 1/16 (120 clock ticks) you only have to be within a sixteenth note of the downbeat (after count-in) to have the arp start synchronized to Measure 1, Beat 1, Clock 000.

If you set it to a 1/8 note (240) you only have to within a eighth note of the downbeat to have the arp data transferred synchronized to the first beat.

It is found on the ARP EDIT screen - and is extremely useful when attempting to synchronize the trigger event of the arpeggio type with the start of sequencer recording.
Press RECORD
ARP ED> parameters can be viewed by pressing [F3]
Set the SYNC QTZ VALUE as necessary
Press [EXIT] to return to the RECORD SETUP screen

After the count-in your trigger event will be interpreted by the sequencer to the nearest musical Value as you have requested. ONLY the Trigger events timing is influenced - not the resulting arpeggio data.

TIP: When recording arpeggio types to the sequencer in PATTERN mode it is alway best to set the LOOP function OFF. LOOP OFF only applies to RECORDING - (never to playback, only during record). This is highly useful because even though you think you are fast enough to stop at the end of the cycle (as a human) you will always be a few clock ticks early or late) Let the technology stop recording for you.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2011 @ 09:14 AM
hasseg1
Joined  08-07-2010

Thanks! I was actually thinking of that solution to change the sync value. But,why is this feature missing in MOX compared to XS as I thought MOX should have all features from XS except sampling? And, are the tone generators identical in MOX and XS?

Best regards
Hans

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2011 @ 09:37 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

why is this feature missing in MOX compared to XS as I thought MOX should have all features from XS except sampling?

I have no idea. “Why...” and “How come...” questions are very difficult to answer. I can tell you that, yes, the XS and XF can KEY ON START from PATTERN RECORD. They have many features that the less expensive model does not. Some were added after initial release - some were there from the initial release of the product.  I’m sure there is a reason, I just don’t know what it is. But it is clearly a case where the interface is a bit more elegant as the price goes up.

And, are the tone generators identical in MOX and XS?

No. The Motif XS has two of the tone generator chips (128 note polyphony) the MOX has just one of these tone generator chips (64 note polyphony).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2011 @ 09:38 AM
hasseg1
Joined  08-07-2010

Many thanks!

Hans

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2011 @ 11:51 AM
nauform
Joined  06-16-2011

I don’t think MOX be a Motif XS without sampling, anybody thinking so will be frustated soon.

I think MOX is a MO improved and updated (XS ROM, audio interface, audio inputs, DAW integration, vocoder, etc) with an elegant black finished and a nice design ;)

Regards

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2011 @ 03:33 PM
hasseg1
Joined  08-07-2010

Are you frustrated?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2011 @ 04:42 AM
nauform
Joined  06-16-2011

:D No, i’m happy thinking i’ve purchased the best quality at lower price in the 88 keys new workstations market

And you?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2011 @ 04:46 AM
hasseg1
Joined  08-07-2010

I am coming from MM6 so this is heaven!

Rgds
Hans

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2011 @ 07:18 PM
nauform
Joined  06-16-2011

Hey Hans! Explain us a few why you need song or pattern mode cause today i’ve played my moX a little and i’ve checked that you can record a entire song or pattern from perform mode with all 16 tracks recorded with different arps in everyone and starting to record by press a key. The only limitations are:
1) You can only record at the most 4 tracks every time. For the following 4 tracks modifiy voices and arps, mute/unmute voices if it’s necessary without exit of perform mode then go to PERFORM --> REC --> RECTR and select the next 4 tracks.
2) In perform mode you can NOT start to record in the middle of a song/pattern but you can move the material recorded inside the track later.

I think you don’t need any trick (SYNC QUANTIZE VALUE) to do it. Perhaps i didn’t understand your problem but if we know your issue then we can give you a better solution even more easy!

Regards

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sounds from Motif ’classic’ to MOX?
Next Topic:

Any Sounds Available for the MoX6? ››