mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Renaming Performance."

Posted on: July 21, 2011 @ 03:14 PM
harrieherfst
Total Posts:  1
Joined  07-12-2011

Hi guys,

Since a couple of days I’m the proud owner of a MOX6, and really love the instrument. But I’m having some troubles renaming my newly created performances.

If I’m correct, after saving the performance, I should press [EDIT], than rename the performance, and than press [ENTER]. Nothing happens. If I press Exit, the MOX returns to playing mode, and I get my new name on screen. But after switching back and forth between two of the performances, my settings are lost, and it says “New Performance” again.

Anyone who can help me out here?

Thanx!

Harrie

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2011 @ 04:45 PM
bilboben
Total Posts:  24
Joined  05-21-2011

Press STORE ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2011 @ 06:47 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

If I’m correct, after saving the performance, I should press [EDIT], than rename the performance, and than press [ENTER]. Nothing happens. If I press Exit, the MOX returns to playing mode, and I get my new name on screen. But after switching back and forth between two of the performances, my settings are lost, and it says “New Performance” again.

Take your time - the terminology (much of it may be new) is important, so take your time.

SAVE is an operation of creating a FILE. You SAVE data to a USB drive.

STORE is the operation you do before you SAVE, because it is only the STORED data that gets written to the file.

When you NAME or RENAME a PERFORMANCE you press [STORE] which writes the PERFORMANCE to the MOX’s internal FLASH ROM.

If you used the PERFORMANCE CREATOR to build your PERFORMANCE it is given a default name “NEW PERFORMANCE”

you can edit this by doing the following:
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON]
Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF1] NAME
Here you can use the DATA WHEEL to select letters and the CURSOR [>] to advance to the next letter

You can set a CATEGORY and SUB CATEOGORY for your creation.
Press [STORE]

Here you can pick a location in either one of the two USER PERFORMANCE banks. You have been working in an EDIT BUFFER - so the location you started in still contains the original data. you press [EDIT] to compare the sound you have now with the data you started with.
Press [ENTER] to write the data to the MOX’s internal FLASH ROM.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2011 @ 10:17 PM
phloid
Total Posts:  126
Joined  06-22-2011
Bad_Mister - 21 July 2011 06:47 PM

Take your time - the terminology (much of it may be new) is important, so take your time.

SAVE is an operation of creating a FILE. You SAVE data to a USB drive.

STORE is the operation you do before you SAVE, because it is only the STORED data that gets written to the file.

What exactly gets done by STORING that would not be done if you went straight to SAVE? Is STORING just holding the information in RAM? How long does it STORE if you do not SAVE it? Is it lost if you turn off the MOX before SAVING? What is the point of the operation?

What happens if you SAVE information to an existing file? Does it overwrite it? Is it even possible to SAVE to an existing file?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 22, 2011 @ 07:17 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

What exactly gets done by STORING that would not be done if you went straight to SAVE?

I answered this when I said: It is the STORED data that gets SAVED. To understand what this means you have to understand the concept of the EDIT BUFFER. The EDIT BUFFER is like a workspace. It is a RAM area where you can do work.

When you recall a VOICE, it is the same as recalling a document in a word processor. When you recall a VOICE it is the same as opening a Letter you have been working on. Yes, you are in RAM… and this is where the VOICE is placed when you are working with it. In an Edit Buffer.

Say you start opening and closing the filter, adjusting the Reverb Send, change the volume, maybe even change the Effect type assigned. If you then move away without STORING - your edits will be lost. The data in the EDIT BUFFER will be repalced with whatever else you call up. The VOICE data you were working on will revert to the last Stored condition. Changes made in the EDIT BUFFER most be STORED to the MOX internal memory, by pressing the [STORE] button.

The whole INTERNAL MEMORY scheme is explained on page 22 of the MOX REFERENCE MANUAL.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 23, 2011 @ 03:20 AM
phloid
Total Posts:  126
Joined  06-22-2011
Bad_Mister - 22 July 2011 07:17 AM

What exactly gets done by STORING that would not be done if you went straight to SAVE?

I answered this when I said: It is the STORED data that gets SAVED.....

Well, life is living until you die. Now that I just explained life no one reading this will ever have another question about it will they?

Adding to the vagueness is the similarity between the terms STORE and SAVE. With the MOX this STORE function is an extra step if you are going to reference an “edit buffer” as a general concept. Typically everything that has not been saved or undone is held in RAM automatically until you either run out, close the program, shut the system down, or the system crashes. Everything in an open project is in RAM and saved to a permanent file when you SAVE. There isn’t a function (STORE) to specify what gets saved from RAM.

Bad_Mister - 22 July 2011 07:17 AM

I answered this when I said: It is the STORED data that gets SAVED. To understand what this means you have to understand the concept of the EDIT BUFFER. The EDIT BUFFER is like a workspace. It is a RAM area where you can do work.

When you recall a VOICE, it is the same as recalling a document in a word processor. When you recall a VOICE it is the same as opening a Letter you have been working on. Yes, you are in RAM… and this is where the VOICE is placed when you are working with it. In an Edit Buffer.

Say you start opening and closing the filter, adjusting the Reverb Send, change the volume, maybe even change the Effect type assigned. If you then move away without STORING - your edits will be lost. The data in the EDIT BUFFER will be repalced with whatever else you call up. The VOICE data you were working on will revert to the last Stored condition. Changes made in the EDIT BUFFER most be STORED to the MOX internal memory, by pressing the [STORE] button.

The whole INTERNAL MEMORY scheme is explained on page 22 of the MOX REFERENCE MANUAL.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 23, 2011 @ 02:56 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

It is the STORED data that gets written to a file. Let’s break it down with a couple of examples:

Record a SONG or PATTERN to the sequencer.
Turn your MOX OFF
Power back up
Yoiur SONG or PATTERN is gone
You did not STORE.

Record a SONG or PATTERN to the sequencer
Attempt to move away from that SONG or PATTERN location
You receive a warning message that in essence tells you to go back and STORE your data or it will be discarded.

Record a SONG or PATTERN to the sequencer
SAVE a File
The MOX will automatically STORE any data currently in the Edit Buffer (and it informs of this, as well - because it doesn’t want you to lose your data because you did not understand how the Edit Buffer works).
Your SONG or PATTERN is automatically STORED before the SAVE operation is undertaken.

It is the STORED data that gets written to the file. As you work with the MOX this will be come more clear - just remember: do not power down without STORING, if you do, say bye-bye to your work in the sequencer.

The MOX will remind you to sotre orit will automatically store the data if you attempt move away or attempt to SAVE without having done so. Hope that helps

And, yes, life is living until you die :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 23, 2011 @ 03:01 PM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

Het percentage Nederlanders gaat met rasse schreden omhoog deze weken.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 24, 2011 @ 05:02 PM
Anton
Total Posts:  169
Joined  08-26-2002

Jazeker!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2020 @ 07:43 PM
DallasXanadu
Total Posts:  76
Joined  05-20-2015

you can edit this by doing the following:
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON]
Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF1] NAME
Here you can use the DATA WHEEL to select letters and the CURSOR [>] to advance to the next letter

So I’ve initialized a previously stored performance, and now the name is “initialized performance” When I go into edit, I don’t see anything labeled [COMMON]. Is this a dedicated button on the machine that I’m missing? I’m having trouble renaming.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2020 @ 08:33 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
DallasXanadu - 08 January 2020 07:43 PM

[...] When I go into edit, I don’t see anything labeled [COMMON]. Is this a dedicated button on the machine that I’m missing? I’m having trouble renaming.

The [COMMON] button on the MOX (or MOXF, which I believe is the model you have) is directly above the [1] button.

Details for Naming are on page 21 of the MOX Owner’s Manual, or page 22 of the MOXF Owner’s Manual.

[ Ignore ]