mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Import midi songs to MOX6"

Posted on: July 20, 2011 @ 06:44 AM
hasseg1
Total Posts:  34
Joined  08-07-2010

Hi! Is it possible to load standard midi files in to MOX6 in song mode and get the associated GM
voices automatically like you can in the MM6?

Best rgds
Hans

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2011 @ 10:25 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Hi! Is it possible to load standard midi files in to MOX6 in song mode and get the associated GM
voices automatically like you can in the MM6?

Actually you cannot load Standard MIDI Files into the MM6. The MM6 does not have that ability… the MM6 actually reads the MIDI file directly from the USB drive.

The MOX can do what the MM6 does (read it directly from the USB drive) or it can actually load the data into its own sequencer where you can edit it, mangle it, and otherwise change the data as you desire.

So the MOX can do more with SMFs than the MM6 (quite a bit more).

Connect the USB drive to the TO DEVICE port
Press [SONG] to enter SONG mode
Press [FILE]
Set the TYPE = SONG (or PATTERN) it works for either of the two Sequencer modes
Any file with the (required) .MID extension will appear

(note: The .MID extension is required, some programs use .midi or .smf these will not work)

Press [F3] LOAD
When you highlight the name of a File with the .MID extension, the PLAY ARROW appears above [SF2] you can stream the file directly from the USB stick without having to load it to internal memory. It will begin playback in a few seconds.

If you wish to load the file to the MOX sequencer (you want to edit it, make corrections, fix a bogus GM file, etc)., simply press [SF1] EXEC (execute)
A Target SONG (or PATTERN) will appear… select an empty SONG or PATTERN location
Press [SF1] EXEC again to execute the load.

For details on fixing bogus or improperly prepared GM files - please see the SUPPORT article
Creating Proper GM Files

You will find the article helpful when you run into GM files where the author did not follow the GM rules and properly insert a GM RESET.

Many authors create the file on products that ONLY have a GM soundest. So they do not feel obligated to put in the Bank Select and Program Changes commands to have synths that have MORE than just GM sounds. If you have a file where the DRUM track is played by a piano (the article will help you with how to fix that) The reason it happens is because the GM Drum Kit is Program Change 1, and so is the GM Piano. The Piano is in the NORMAL GM bank 000/000, while the Drum Kit is in the DRUM bank 127/000… if you do not put the bank select command in the data… piano is selected instead of drums.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2011 @ 11:39 AM
hasseg1
Total Posts:  34
Joined  08-07-2010

Many thanks for your quick and excellent reply. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

All the best,
Hans

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2011 @ 01:29 PM
Aulis
Total Posts:  27
Joined  01-28-2011

Hej Hasse and hello Bad Mister!
I had a similar question in another thread - is MOX6 really General Midi compatible?
The reason I ask is because I have hundreds of midifiles that plays perfectly in my PSR-S710 and also in my KORG and ROLAND synths but not in the MOX6.

Regards
Aulis G

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2011 @ 05:08 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Answered you in that thread yesterday

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2011 @ 04:46 AM
Aulis
Total Posts:  27
Joined  01-28-2011

Bad Mister,
sorry for this double input and any inconvenience it might have casued. I’ve obviously didn’t scroll all the way down where you made the reply in the other thread.
Case closed :)

/ Aulis

[ Ignore ]