mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Wav/MP3 and midifiles in MOX"

Posted on: July 18, 2011 @ 02:29 PM
Aulis
Total Posts:  27
Joined  01-28-2011

Sorry for these basic questions once again:
A - Isn’t the MOX able to play wav or mp3 files?
B - Why cant MOX play MIDI-files?

A – I have this 8 Gb USB stick with wav-files I use in my PSR-S710 during brakes in our gigs. When I connect this stick to my new MOX6 nothing is shown in the FILE menu. I copied some mp3-files to the same folder for test purposes but these wont show up either??? Ain’t MOX able to play these files? (PSR S710 only play wav-files)

B – I have a great number of standard MIDI-files on this USB-stick, both type 0 and 1, which I use in my S710. All these mid-files are shown in the FILE/LOAD section in MOX but regardless of type 0 or type 1 I get the message ILLEGAL FILE when I try to play hem (via SF2)as SONG or as PATTERN.
One strange thing: on page 158 in the MOX reference manual – point 7 say “Press the F6 to play back the SMF file...”?? My MOX have no function for F6 in this menu??

Is MOX capable to play back sound or/and mid-files?

Best regards
Aulis G

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2011 @ 03:11 PM
VladimirZ
Total Posts:  17
Joined  07-18-2011

Sorry for these basic questions once again:
A - Isn’t the MOX able to play wav or mp3 files?
B - Why cant MOX play MIDI-files?

One strange thing: on page 158 in the MOX reference manual – point 7 say “Press the F6 to play back the SMF file...”?? My MOX have no function for F6 in this menu??

Is MOX capable to play back sound or/and mid-files?

In MOX Reference manual p.158 - mistake.
Read so:
“Press the SF2 to play back the SMF file”
Look at your MOX screen and you see sign [> PLAY] on SF2 position.
If you need STOP press SF2 again.

MOX can not play *’wav or * mp3 direct - only from external device.

Best wishes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2011 @ 03:16 PM
phloid
Total Posts:  126
Joined  06-22-2011
VladimirZ - 18 July 2011 03:11 PM

MOX can not play *’wav or * mp3 direct - only from external device to A\D input.

Best wishes.

The mp3 and wav files can also be played through the MOX USB connection with a computer. You just choose the MOX as the computer’s audio Output. The DAW Level slider allows you to adjust the volume of the computer’s audio independent of the MOX volume.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2011 @ 03:34 PM
VladimirZ
Joined  07-18-2011

To phloid:
Thanks for incremental clarification.
But computer is too ‘external device’…

But Aulis want play *.wav direct - from USB flash - like on S-710.
MOX can not do this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2011 @ 08:53 PM
phloid
Total Posts:  126
Joined  06-22-2011
VladimirZ - 18 July 2011 03:34 PM

To phloid:
Thanks for incremental clarification.
But computer is too ‘external device’…

But Aulis want play *.wav direct - from USB flash - like on S-710.
MOX can not do this.

You have misunderstood my point.

In your post you had said this could be done using the A/D inputs. I just added that it can also be done using the USB connection. I was not suggesting that a computer was something other than an external device as you seem to be thinking.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2011 @ 04:07 AM
VladimirZ
Joined  07-18-2011

OK! You are absolutely right!
Sorry for my poor English…
Best wishes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2011 @ 06:18 AM
Aulis
Joined  01-28-2011

Thanks a lot for the answers.

But I’m still confused with the standard midifiles. I use the SF2 to run the file but regardless of type of midi (0, 1 or XG) I get the ERROR-message “Illegal file”. Do anyone else have this problem?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2011 @ 06:24 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

Aulis,

Were are those midi files come from? Normally correct midi files should not give any problems.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2011 @ 07:30 AM
Aulis
Joined  01-28-2011

I think the problem is solved now.
I took another USB stick (same type) and had MOX to format it and now all of a sudden it opens the mid-files!?!?. The first stick is formatted in my S710. When I look to the stick properties in my PC I cant see any difference, both are FAT32.

Now when I can open the midifile in MOX I run into the next question, isnt the MOX General Midi compatible?  The voicings are all messed up.

(Jan, some of these files are free downloads from Internet and the other ones (professional)are bought from music stores and webshops.
All of these however plays perfectly on my PSR-S710.)

Thanks to all of you looking in to my problem

/ Aulis G

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2011 @ 08:49 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

Do not try to understand the behaviour of software programs. Software programs having some times peculiar ways to run software.

Be happy that it works with an other USB stick.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2011 @ 11:42 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Now when I can open the midifile in MOX I run into the next question, isnt the MOX General Midi compatible?  The voicings are all messed up.

No. The MOX is not GM compatible. This is why you do not see the GM logo stenciled on the front panel.

That said, the MOX can playback GM files with proper Voice selection if the GM file is properly prepared (for info on properly prepared GM files: please see this article:
Creating a Proper GM file

If your file is not “properly” prepared, you can fix it.
Call up a blank SONG or PATTERN location.
Press [MIXING] - where you would select the VOICES
Press [JOB]
Press [F1] INITIALIZE

Check the GM box, this will do what the properly prepared file should have done… send a GM RESET command.
Press [ENTER] to execute
Now your file will call up the correct Voices.

The MOX has a pseudo-GM bank: That is, 128 VOICES listed in the GM Program Change order (16 Categories of 8 sounds). It also includes one GM Drum Kit

By executing the GM RESET, you have instructed your MOX that a GM file is ready to play.

You can correct your file by loading it into the MOX sequencer and editing the data. Free files are usually worth what you pay… :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOX8 + S910
Next Topic:

Favorite sound category help ››