mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XF output level"

Posted on: July 18, 2011 @ 02:03 PM
motif.keys
Total Posts:  26
Joined  07-08-2011

Hi there,

In my observation the output levels on XF are significantly different (less) as compared with Oasys, maybe 60-70%, which requires me to increase the gain on the speakers and also the signal through my headphones (Bayerdynamic DT 770 Pro) does not sound as loud as I want it to. Is there any trick that I’m missing here?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2011 @ 03:36 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Utility -> [F1]General -> [SF1] Play

Volume can be set from 0 to 127...not sure what the default is.

Utility -> [F2]I/O -> [SF1]LR Gain

Can be set to 0db (default) or +6db; similar controls for the assignable outs and FW16E outputs

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2011 @ 03:59 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Just got back from doing a gig as keyboard tech with David Foster. Once
again, during setup and sound check, I got this comment from both the Front of House and Monitor engineers - “The Motifs are a little too hot. The Korg (M3) is INSANELY hot.”

I expected this, and turned the output of the Motif XS units to 0db, and
padded down the inputs for the Korg M3.

The situation really is this - it is NOT that the Motif is too “quiet”. It
is that the Korg is WAY TOO LOUD. The answer is simple - people generally
perceive louder to be “better”, and most people are not mixing engineers, nor do they run their gear through professional equipment.

In any case, turn the Korg down to the point where the output level generally matches that of the Motif. You may have to use your mixer’s “trim” controls (gain knobs above the faders) to compensate for both
synths. Under no circumstances should the output of either keyboard exceed
0db unity on your mixer. If you have LED volume indicators on your mixer,
that would be indicated by the “red” LED’s lighting up. Generally it’s a good idea to keep the LED’s “always in the green” with an occasional “yellow” LED level appearing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2011 @ 04:01 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
meatballfulton - 18 July 2011 03:36 PM

Utility -> [F2]I/O -> [SF1] L+R Gain

Can be set to 0db (default) or +6db;[...]

That setting should be checked, but the default might be +6db for the main and assignable outputs.

Optimum power transfer occurs when source and load impedances match. I haven’t found a spec for the XF headphone output impedance, but in the XS there’s a 33 ohm resistor in series with the headphone op amp output. Since op amps have a low output impedance, the headphone output would be just a little more than 33 ohms. So it would seem that headphones speced at about 32 ohms would likely be a good match.

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones are speced at 250 ohms. For the XS (and likely the XF), a quick calculation indicates about a 4dB loss in output from 250 ohm headphones versus 32 ohm ones, all other things being equal. (EDIT: Apparently the DT 770 Pro is also available in an 80 ohm version. Those wouldn’t make as much of a difference.)

If adjusting the gain in the XF doesn’t do the trick, a headphone amp or better matched headphones might be options. The Beyerdynamic DT 770 Premium headphones are available in a 32 ohm version, as are several others.

Another thing that might be considered is headphone efficiency and/or sensitivity. Difference from one model to another can be several dB.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2011 @ 03:35 AM
motif.keys
Joined  07-08-2011

Thanks for your response. I checked the default level is +6 db. Another observation is that my RME Babyface interface channel (XF connected through line outs not the headphone out in this case) shows about 50% input level as well and obviously adds to the overall noise level when boosted up through software. There must be some way to increase the gain on the XF OUTs, isn’t there any?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2011 @ 05:40 AM
wango
Joined  03-31-2011

Try the following: play one of the demo songs, put the master volume fader on the XF to the max, choose
instrument input in the analog I/O from the RME set to 0 db.
On my MH ULN8 interface I even have to lower the output of the XF because of clipping.
I assume some kind of “mastering” was done in the demo songs, so you might want to explore that to see
what they did to make the track hot.

Ab

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XF vs XS key feel
Next Topic:

Real time loop remix by iPad? ››