mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Patch change glitch in Motif Rack XS (Multi) vs Motif XS (Perf)"

Posted on: July 08, 2011 @ 01:47 AM
goog
Total Posts:  39
Joined  06-01-2005

Hi

I originally used a motif xs6 and just got another motif rack xs recently.
I planed to use the rack xs with my controller keyboard (novation sl mk ii) to play in live gig. I first thought that I could set up a multi patch in my rack xs to act like a performance in motif xs but just found out that they have some differents in real live situations. I noticed that the patch change glitch in motif rack xs somehow takes longer time than in motif xs (when in performance mode). So i just wonder if there’s a way to shorten the glitch time when changing a multi to another. I tried switching off the effects in parts not being used in the multi (channel 2-16) but that’s not seems to help much.

Thank you and sorry for my english. I’m from Thailand :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 09, 2011 @ 05:40 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Your English is just fine.

Sorry, but there is no way to really shorten the time between calling up programs. Turning the unused Insert Switches off, while a good idea, will not help - because even the OFF position must be registered.

It is easy to imagine what is happening when you change programs: all the parameters are being recalled, read and restored. This is quite naturally going to be impacted by the number of parameters being recalled… the more parameters the more time. Even if the parameter is OFF or at 0, it still needs to have a status reported - so even “off” and “0” are parameters that are registered.

Could this be improved? - absolutely. With faster (re: more expensive) processors, sure. That is for the future. At twice the price you can imagine the speed would be improved.

A decision was made to make each program as powerful as we could. When you call up a program it is presumed you recalled it because it contains everything you need to perform the current composition. Be that one sound or many sounds.

At the end of the current composition or setup, you then should have a moment to recall your next program.

Now if you are working with a MULTI program, you have recalled:
16 PARTS = one VOICE contained in each Part
16 INSERTION EFFECT = 8 of the PARTS each recall their Dual Insertion Effects from Voice mode. Which includes the renowned VCM effects - real time controllable, etc., etc.
16 3-Band PART EQ’s
All the mixer settings
The MASTER EQ
The MASTER EFFECT

It takes longer to recall a MULTI (with all that listed above) than it does to recall a VOICE. This is evidence of the number of parameters, the amount of data that is restored. Now we are not talking anything close to 1 second (it is measured in millisecond) - I’m not sure of the actual value but the intention of the different modes in the instrument are so that you recall every thing you need for one complete musical presentation (song, composition). And as soon as you have 1 second (assuming there is applause or some kind of pause before the next composition is to begin)… If you need to seamlessly move between MULTI programs - meaning you do not even have 200ms between compostions, then you are ready for a second Motif-Rack XS.

:-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2011 @ 04:18 AM
goog
Joined  06-01-2005

Thank you for your reply. Anyway I found out that sending MSB/LSB bank change prior to Program Change makes more glitch time for the Multi changing. When only PC message sent, things seem to work faster. But i still cannot switch off some part of the first four parts when using the ‘Layer 1-4 Parts’ mode though. Do you have some guide to achive that?

Thank you so much. You’re truely the man!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2011 @ 11:41 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

When “LAYER 1-4” PARTS is ON, access to the first four PARTS (thus the name) is removed from the MIDI Receive PART parameter. Rather the first four PARTS, 1-4 are addressed on the BASIC RECEIVE Channel of the Motif-Rack XS. They are not under control of the PART’s MIDI Receive Channel parameter, at all. The PART RECEIVE CHANNEL for PARTS 1-4 has no meaning, when LAYER 1-4 PARTS = ON.

If you want to selectively turn PARTS 1-4 on and off, then you want to set the “LAYER 1-4 PART” parameter OFF, and set the MIDI channel manually, via the PART EDIT parameters.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2011 @ 01:20 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

Just a quick practical note on this. Of course Bad Mister is correct, but keep in mind that the ‘Layer 1-4’ is a global command, so all multi’s will acquire this characteristic.

In future designs, it would be great to be able to select this parameter for each individual multi as desired. You could then easily have songs that utilize the individual parts along with the pseudo-performances (layer 1-4) characteristic with simple MSB/LSB/PC commands from your controller.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2011 @ 02:08 PM
goog
Joined  06-01-2005

Ahh..

Guess I misunderstood from another old thread HERE

In the first reply from Bad Mister, it said…

If you are not going to use all 4 PARTS you will need to go to the EDIT SELECT > Select VOICE > ENTER and on the first page in VOICE set the MIDI Receive Channel to OFF.

If for example you are only using 3 PARTS in this setup, select P4 and set its MIDI Receive Channel = OFF.

It’s ok anyway and thanks for your kindly reply. Really appreciate that! :)

[ Ignore ]