mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Cross-fade by using MW control"

Posted on: June 30, 2011 @ 11:11 AM
dcool
Total Posts:  426
Joined  11-01-2006

Hi,
I’d like to know if it’s possible to create a cross-fade of 2 (or more) voices by using mod wheel control? if it’s yes, then how to do it?

Thanks,
dcool

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 30, 2011 @ 12:04 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Yes, it is possible. You do so by editing the VOICES in Voice mode then combine them in a PERFORMANCE. You prepare one of the VOICES so that as you raise the MW it increases in Volume, and you prepare the other VOICE so that so that as you raise the MW it decreases in Volume.

Once you’ve created these two new VOICES (and store them to USER locations) you can combine them in a PERFORMANCE where you can control them as you desire.

The process of controlling a sound’s volume via the position of the controller is fairly simple:

Call up the first VOICE (the one you want to have playing when you initially call up the program), you will want to set this so that as you raise the MW the sound fades to 0.

For this example, I’ll “Full Concert Grand” piano and “Large Section” strings

I’ll start with the piano PRE 1: 001(A01)
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON]
Press [F4] CTRL SET (Controller Setup)
Press [SF1] SET 1/2
Here the MW is assigned to do “Chorus Send” (I don’t often use Chorus on the piano so I’ll reprogram this with “VOLUME” as the Destination
Set the SOURCE = Volume (two clicks counterclockwise)
Set the DEPTH parameter to a negative value.

The value you select will determine how quickly (referencing the movement of the MW) that the piano will fade to 0. If you set it to -20 it will probably take the full range of movement before it reaches 0 volume. If you set it to -64 it will only take a very small movement to reach 0. A setting of -32 is linear. You will need to determine exactly what negative value will work for your transition by trial and error. For now just set it to -20

Press [STORE] and store this to USER 1: 001

Next all up the “Large Section” PRE 3: 001(A01)
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON]
Press [F2] OUTPUT
Set the VOICE’s output = 0
This is so that when the Voice is initially called up, it is silent. We will “bias” the volume of this Voice to the position of the modulation wheel such that when the modulation wheel is at 0 the Voice’s volume is at 0, as you raise the wheel the volume will increase.

Press [F4] CTRL SET
Press[SF1] SET 1/2
Here, again, Control Set 1 is set to do “Chorus Send” (I decide I will reprogram this to “Volume")
Set the DEPTH parameter to a positive value.

The value you select will determine how quickly the strings will fade in to maximum. If you set this to a positive value, for example, +44, the sound will begin to fade in as raise the MW. A setting of +32 is linear. A setting of +63 will mean it takes more movement to get sound.

Again you will need to adjust so that you will not get a dead area in the middle of the wheel’s travel when both sounds are combined in a PERFORMANCE

Press [STORE] and store this to USER 1: 002

Go to PERFORMANCE mode and create a new PERFORMANCE using both of these newly edited Voices. When you first call it up you will hear the piano only, as you raise the wheel you will fade out the piano and bring in the strings.

You can, of course, use any sounds you wish and program the values as you find useful. The thing to realize is that the DEPTH parameter is critical as to ‘HOW MUCH’ controller movement gives the desired result.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2011 @ 03:25 PM
dcool
Total Posts:  426
Joined  11-01-2006

Excellent tutorial, thank you very much Bad_Mister :)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ A/D Input direct monitoring vs USB output
Next Topic:

Mellotron on the MOX ››