mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help, lost stuff after Firmware upgrade!"

Posted on: June 25, 2011 @ 04:07 PM
dpolcino
Total Posts:  24
Joined  11-11-2009

I did a full backup with Total Librarian and then did the new Motif XF upgrade. I can restore the voices but the Performances and Mater Presets all say “Initialized Master” or “Initialized Performance”. Yikes! Is there something I’m doing wrong, some setting to fix? I even did a Job:Factory Reset and all Performances are gone.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2011 @ 04:30 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

To do a complete factory reset on an XF, be sure “ALL” is checked.

See page 18 of the XF Owner’s Manual and page 231 of the XF Reference Manual for details.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2011 @ 05:34 PM
dpolcino
Total Posts:  24
Joined  11-11-2009

Thanks for the tip! Still, when I restore from the Librarian or Studio Manager, all the user banks and performances go to Initialized. And my Flash Memory card is filled up but no waveforms show up. Maybe that’s throwing the patches off? Reformatting and reloading Inspiration In A Flash file, see what happens then. Weird stuff though!

Thanks for the reset trick.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2011 @ 09:23 AM
mrtea
Total Posts:  7
Joined  10-27-2010
dpolcino - 25 June 2011 04:07 PM

I did a full backup with Total Librarian and then did the new Motif XF upgrade. I can restore the voices but the Performances and Mater Presets all say “Initialized Master” or “Initialized Performance”. Yikes! Is there something I’m doing wrong, some setting to fix? I even did a Job:Factory Reset and all Performances are gone.

You need to have OS 1.12 to upgrade to OS 1.20.  Try upgrading to OS 1.12 then OS 1.20.  Then Do a factory reset after that.

I had a simular problem upgrading from OS 1.12 to 1.20.  I did a factory resett after that. Now everything is fine.

This is for Motif XF Only.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2011 @ 09:59 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
dpolcino - 25 June 2011 05:34 PM

Thanks for the tip! Still, when I restore from the Librarian or Studio Manager, all the user banks and performances go to Initialized. And my Flash Memory card is filled up but no waveforms show up. Maybe that’s throwing the patches off? Reformatting and reloading Inspiration In A Flash file, see what happens then. Weird stuff though!

Thanks for the reset trick.

You’re welcome.

As to problems restoring your file(s), without knowing details (file type saved, etc.), I can’t say what happened. Difficulty with Total Librarian should probably be directed to John Melas.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2011 @ 02:01 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

To be safe, restore on the Motif XF itself, not from Total Librarian.

Procedure on the XF:

Press UTILITY
Press JOB
Press ENTER, then YES.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2011 @ 02:35 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
DavePolich - 26 June 2011 02:01 PM

To be safe, restore on the Motif XF itself, not from Total Librarian.

Procedure on the XF:

Press UTILITY
Press JOB
Press ENTER, then YES.

Yes, and as I mentioned previously in this thread, make sure “ALL” is checked if you want to do a full factory reset, as explained on page 18 of the XF Owner’s Manual and page 231 of the XF Reference Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2011 @ 06:22 PM
kbrkr
Total Posts:  138
Joined  07-29-2003

I wasn’t aware John’s tools allowed you to BACKUP the Motif?  Does it?

As a precaution, I ALWAYS do a SAVE ALL to a Thumb Drive before any OS Updates.  In this case the instructions explicitly states all user data will be deleted!!

I Hope you get your settings back!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2011 @ 11:30 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
kbrkr - 26 June 2011 06:22 PM

I Hope you get your settings back!!

You’ll get your settings back from an ALL file, don’t worry.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2011 @ 08:31 PM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010

Can you create an “ALL” file from the Melas Library manager? 

I didn’t read this person actually saved directly from his XF to a USB stick as an ALL file, unless I missed it.

I always do both, I have trust issues (LOL).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2011 @ 06:32 PM
bsmart
Total Posts:  225
Joined  01-12-2005

After I upgraded from 1.12 to 1.2, not only were all of my user memories cleared (as expected), but the flash memory board was totally messed up. Specifically, I mean that on Utility, F6, it showed no waveforms present on the flash board, but also showed that only 175MB was free. I remember Bad Mister saying in one of the early flash threads that the flash boards are only erased if you specifically format them, so I wasn’t expecting this at all.

I loaded my voices back, but they act as if they can’t find their samples (that should be in the flash memory). Not a big surprise, since Utility F6 shows that the board is free of waveforms, even though it has over 80% of its space taken up with something that it won’t identify.

Time for full factory reset, format flash boards, and load all file, along with flash samples, back in to the XF. That’s hours of work, with luck.

I really mistrust the whole flash memory setup. The bind between a voice, and samples in flash seem so undefined to me. I view the flash board as like another type of user rewritable ROM area. The waveforms on there should be identified by a board number (FL1 or FL2), and a waveform number. Voice elements should indicate the memory area (flash board, ROM, user), and the waveform ID. What I expected after the upgrade was to have lots of waveforms on the flash board, but no voices to play them. Since the flash contents shouldn’t have changed when I upgraded the firmware, and I didn’t change the voices, either, loading them back in should have resulted in them continuing to point to the same locations for their waveforms (correct flash board and waveform ID). Instead, the waveform list is empty, but the space seems used, anyway.

Maybe waveforms can’t be seen until some voice with a special marker or what-ever that specifically references that waveform is loaded. If its that confusing, though, I think that I’m going to give up and just use the flash for holding commercial sample libraries, and abandon using them for anything custom. It is too stressful and confusing to think that, while managing a flash board, I would need to worry not only about the waveforms there, and what is used by what, but would also need to worry about potentially present waveforms that I’m just not able, or allowed, or capable, of viewing or removing.

Flash is cool, when it works, but saying that the XS was far less confusing is a profound understatement in my mind. I am too confused to suggest helpful changes, but I feel like the design of how we work with flash in the Motif’s interface might be to blame.

I suspect that I’ll be told that it really is easy, if I’d only listen, read, but I’ve been working on that for months, and, just when I think that I understand the rules, I’ll get surprised again and lose data. I’ve been using MIDI gear for over 15 years, computers for way longer than that, program in several languages, and am not commonly frustrated by concepts like this. Either this is something that just is specifically suited to my personal tech weaknesses, or else the user experience of working with flash could have been designed much better.

Anyway, I don’t think that my personal issues with this feature matter all that much. I’m just reporting that the update totally scrambled my flash board. Maybe I did something wrong. I wouldn’t be surprised, since I still am not by any means sure that I understand some important qwerks of how it works. Anyone backing up their XF prior to the update had better backup all of the flash samples, also, and be prepared to spend the time to reformat their boards and reload samples. Full backup of a board will take about an hour. After the update, formatting a board will take another hour, and reloading samples will take well over an hour. It all adds up to a process that will consume most of a day’s free time. For people with two boards, multiply by 2, and block off 6 or 7 hours.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2011 @ 08:09 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
bsmart - 07 July 2011 06:32 PM

[...]Anyone backing up their XF prior to the update had better backup all of the flash samples, also, and be prepared to spend the time to reformat their boards and reload samples. Full backup of a board will take about an hour. After the update, formatting a board will take another hour, and reloading samples will take well over an hour. It all adds up to a process that will consume most of a day’s free time. For people with two boards, multiply by 2, and block off 6 or 7 hours.

Did you do a full factory reset after updating the OS?

Let’s assume that you did nothing wrong (which may or may not be a valid assumption). Not that it’s a bad idea to have a backup of the Flash module contents, but if there’s really a risk of damage to the data, why not just remove the module(s) before doing the OS update and reinstall afterward? Removal and reinstallation would take a lot less time than formatting and reloading. However, this should not be necessary.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 09, 2011 @ 09:35 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
bsmart - 07 July 2011 06:32 PM

After I upgraded from 1.12 to 1.2, not only were all of my user memories cleared (as expected), but the flash memory board was totally messed up. [...]

See:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/index.php/viewthread/455629/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2016 @ 12:07 AM
toadwoman
Total Posts:  1
Joined  04-16-2008

I installed fw v 174 so my old Motif xs8 could play with Garageband and be the sound card (I can use my monitors as my computer speakers) but I too have “lost” the user presets and performance voice bank. “Initialized Master” displays when powering up. I am afraid of doing a factory reset because it took me and my son days to make these changes and I am a tech luddite and old lady musician who just wants to have fun. Son is not around to help.
Will a factory reset obliterate the firmware update? If not, do I just follow the manual instructions? Do I disconnect the firewire first?
This is embarrassing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2016 @ 12:27 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
toadwoman - 10 March 2016 12:07 AM

I installed fw v 174 so my old Motif xs8 could play with Garageband and be the sound card (I can use my monitors as my computer speakers) but I too have “lost” the user presets and performance voice bank. “Initialized Master” displays when powering up. I am afraid of doing a factory reset because it took me and my son days to make these changes and I am a tech luddite and old lady musician who just wants to have fun. Son is not around to help.
Will a factory reset obliterate the firmware update? If not, do I just follow the manual instructions? Do I disconnect the firewire first?
This is embarrassing.

Welcome to the forum.

I’m unsure what you did, since the most recent Motif XS OS (Operating System) is version 1.60. If you installed the Yamaha Steinberg FireWire Driver V1.7.4 for Mac OS X 10.9.5 - 10.11.x on your computer, that shouldn’t have affected the User memory areas of the XS8.

Under any circumstance, doing a factory reset doesn’t affect the Motif’s OS/firmware. There’s no reason to disconnect the FW before doing a reset.

References to manuals and page numbers in this thread will not apply to the XS, since the previous posts refer to the XF.

[ Ignore ]