mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can the MOX audio interface play VSTi’s - Ivory plugin on PC laptop?"

Posted on: June 22, 2011 @ 02:51 AM
nightowlgk2
Total Posts:  16
Joined  06-22-2011

I use Cubase 5 on my laptop w/ a 7200 rpm internal drive to host Ivory with MIDI on a MOTU Ultralight Hybrid Firewire normally with great results.

Will the MOX handle this instrument thru usb with low latency (asio drivers), allowing me to lose the Ultralight ??

Has it been tested with VSTi plugins via USB in general?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2011 @ 11:01 AM
dcool
Total Posts:  426
Joined  11-01-2006

Well, it depends on how many input/output you want. MOX has only 2 stereo in/out. Also, MOTU has XLR inputs and phantom power.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2011 @ 05:05 PM
nightowlgk2
Joined  06-22-2011

Not asking about inputs or comparing “features” of MOTU.

I’m asking mostly about the latency and whether this has been tried by anybody out there successfully without clicks and glitches.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2011 @ 10:01 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

As you may tell, your question is not at all clear.

The MOX6/MOX8 come packed with two VSTi’s, Cubase AI, a USB cable and documentation. The MOX does not have firewire, it works via USB for both AUDIO and MIDI and uses a special driver

Whether it will work with your MOTU Firewire device, is such a left field question… what do you want to do with Ivory and Firewire… and what do they have to do with the MOX, please explain - as if the person you are asking doesn’t know what you want to do?

Whether or not you get glitches is mostly dependent on your computer and what you are asking it to do at the time. Any evaluation of that is really dependent on the specs there and compatibility with the devices you are connecting. With knowledge of what computer it is anyone’s guess. the speed that the drive (7200rpm) is not enough information. That is fairly standard for streaming audio. The MOX will put no demans on your computer as far as streaming audio - it has its own CPU for that!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2011 @ 04:10 AM
nightowlgk2
Joined  06-22-2011

The subject asks about playing Ivory..

I should have said in the message will the MOX handle this instrument(IVORY) thru usb with low latency (asio drivers), allowing me to lose (replace) the Ultralight in certain situations ??

My laptop is set at 256 samples latency and Ivory plays fine thru the MOTU Ultralite Hybrid via firewire....when I use the USB cable, it is a bit more glitchy.

So, it usually comes down to the drivers (are they asio, for Cubase?)and the quality of the USB “interface”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2011 @ 11:41 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Well, please let us know.

Since Steinberg invented ASIO, you can be assured the driver is ASIO. I don’t know why Ivory would be any different from any other VSTi… but since I’ve never tried it, I cannot comment. Why would/does “Ivory” glitch when you use USB? Is it a memory hog, that is, does it use a lot of your computer’s resources to run?

Can the MOX as an audio interface play VSTi’s: YES
Ivory plugin on PC laptop: YES

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2011 @ 06:33 AM
nightowlgk2
Joined  06-22-2011

I can safely say that Ivory is the 2nd most demanding Streaming Vsti that I know of, next to Play/Quantum Leap Piano.

You need low latency to have it feel right, and that puts strain on the disk and processor. Knowing how it sometimes struggles with MOTU/USB on my laptop at 256 ( compared to firewire), I would hope to match or better that with the MOX. I will test it soon as I get my hands on the MOX I ordered from Musiccenter of Kenosha.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2011 @ 07:24 AM
Frank
Total Posts:  1422
Joined  11-05-2002

the concrete question is what buffer latency have the asio driver ?
64 or 96 or 128 or more ?

less or 128 sampels is useful for real feel on ivory !!!

Frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2011 @ 11:25 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

The answer to your question has absolutely nothing to do with the MOX. It has everything to do with your laptop’s CPU speed, the amount of RAM on your laptop,your ASIO buffer settings, and whether you are trying to run the “full” or “light” versions of Ivory.

A lower buffer setting will result in quicker response, but puts a higher strain on your laptop’s CPU, so you may get glitches. The “full” version of an Ivory piano has more sample layers, and will thus tax your hard drive more.

Playing Ivory will always introduce some latency. However,if you record it as an audio track into Cubase, and then play the audio track back, the audio track should play back without latency.

Minimum requirement for Ivory is pretty much an Intel Core 2 Duo (or equivalent) 2.0Ghz. A 2.6Ghz or higher is better. You need at least 2GB of RAM as well. 4GB is better.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2011 @ 02:27 AM
Frank
Total Posts:  1422
Joined  11-05-2002

the mox is also an audio interface,
and fact is the quality of this interface
gives the user the ability to play vsti.

the pc you right needs to be good but..

so we all now soundcards quality is different,
cheap do glitches others plays well with low latency on the same pc.
usb have always trouble with low latency,
thats also a fact.

so see this question please what latency without gliches is right,
have anybody played ivory with mox-soundcard on what latency ?
its more a power-user question then a newbee pc question.

greetings Frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2011 @ 07:10 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

As I said, “Let us know.”

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ How do I make the MOX follow
Next Topic:

MOX8 due to arrive soon! ››