mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Need Help With USB Between MOX6 and Computer"

Posted on: June 07, 2011 @ 12:31 PM
mrbluesky
Total Posts:  3
Joined  06-07-2011

I am having problems with the audio via USB coming out of the MOX6 not showing up in the computer in Cubase.  I am getting midi messages both ways between MOX/computer and I am getting audio to the MOX6 over the USB cable.  I have all the correct drivers installed from the yamahasynth website as far as I can tell including the USB 1.3 latest version.  I can see the MOX6 installed on the computer when it’s hooked up on my device manager. I am definitely getting audio back to the MOX through the USB, there’s a test function accessible through the Realtek sound control panel.

I have a Gateway triple core processor, 4gigs ram, 500gig hard drive, Vista 64bit, and a Realtek HD soundcard built on the motherboard. I think the Realtek soundcard or software controller is most of my problem.

I have an earlier version of Cubase4 AI that I recieved with my Yamaha Pockettrack recorder installed on this computer as well.

The MOX6 records fine in Cubase5 using the line in on the computer, no problem there, I just want to record the audio over the USB. I also have no problem recording the midi in Cubase5. 

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2011 @ 03:18 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

When you open up the Devices menu in Cubase, does it show the MO-X audio ports for both input and output? That’s likely the problem.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2011 @ 03:27 PM
mrbluesky
Joined  06-07-2011
meatballfulton - 07 June 2011 03:18 PM

When you open up the Devices menu in Cubase, does it show the MO-X audio ports for both input and output? That’s likely the problem.

Yes...and it shows them as active.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2011 @ 06:31 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I have a Gateway triple core processor, 4gigs ram, 500gig hard drive, Vista 64bit, and a Realtek HD soundcard built on the motherboard. I think the Realtek soundcard or software controller is most of my problem.

You do not have to worry about the Realtek soundcard when you are using the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 1.30 ( you are not using the computer’s soundcard, at all). So the Realtek test routine is not useful in this case.

Let’s go over some cirtical settings in your system.

I am getting midi messages both ways between MOX/computer and I am getting audio to the MOX6 over the USB cable.

You say you are getting MIDI communication in both directions and that you can playback audio from the computer through the MOX.

In order to get audio from the MOX to the computer we have to discuss what USB I/O configuration you are using.

In the MOX6/MOX8 there are three major routing scenarios:
VST, 2StereoRec, 1StereoRec

VST - when working with the MOX6/MOX8 as a VSTi within a DAW environment
2StereoRec (Dual stereo record) - when recording the two stereo buses separately to a DAW
1StereoRec (stereo record) - normal stereo output

Here’s how to make the selection:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] USB I/O
Select “VST”, “2StereoRec”, or “1StereoRec”
Press the [SF6] INFO - to see a graphic of the signal flow in this particular USB INPUT/OUTPUT mode. Both the A/D Input and the internal PARTS have access to the INSERTION EFFECTS, SYSTEM and MASTER EFFCTS…

In general, you can use the MOX6/MOX8 EDITOR VST to handle audio routing for you (virtual routing) or you can simply manually route the PARTS to the outputs. There are two stereo pairs of outputs available (at maximum)

If you are set to “2StereoRec” you will be sending the A/D INPUT’s audio on USB 1/2 and all 16 PARTS of the MOX default to USB 3/4 (but can be selectively routed to USB 1/2 as necessary, when you need to isolate them)

If you are set to “1StereoRec” you will be sending both the A/D INPUT and the internal 16 PARTS to USB 1/2

If you are using the “VST” you will monitoring the audio through Cubase (virtual audio lane) and you would use EXPORT AUDIO MIXDOWN to render the audio track.

Most likely everything is working just fine, it is a matter of finding out how you want to work. Do you want to record everything as a stereo track? Do you want to setup to multi-track the audio, printing discreet audio tracks, each by each. Do you want to play and sing with a separate track for your vocals and another for the MOX… etc., etc., etc.

In Cubase:
Go to DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP > MIDI > MIDI PORT SETUP
Make sure only the MOX6/MOX8-1 (Port 1) is marked in the IN ALL MIDI INPUTS column

Go to the REMOTE DEVICES folder, the MOX6/MOX8 should be listed as the REMOTE CONTROL device, via MOX6/MOX8-2 (Port 2)

Go to the VST AUDIO SYSTEM; the “Yamaha MOX6/MOX8” should be selected as the ASIO Driver. Click OK

Manually you can route signal to Cubase by going to:
DEVICES > VST CONNECTIONS > INPUT tab
On the Input tab create a stereo input with “Yamaha MOX6/MOX8” as the AUDIO DEVICE, and set the DEVICE PORT to the pair of USB audio connections you are using 1/2 or 3/4.

Create a Stereo AUDIO TRACK assigned to this INPUT.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2011 @ 07:17 PM
neddyc
Joined  05-20-2011

Maybe my post will solve your problem.Give it a go and good luck
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/454893/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2011 @ 09:55 PM
mrbluesky
Joined  06-07-2011
Bad_Mister - 07 June 2011 06:31 PM

You do not have to worry about the Realtek soundcard when you are using the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 1.30 ( you are not using the computer’s soundcard, at all). So the Realtek test routine is not useful in this case.

Let’s go over some cirtical settings in your system.

I am getting midi messages both ways between MOX/computer and I am getting audio to the MOX6 over the USB cable.

You say you are getting MIDI communication in both directions and that you can playback audio from the computer through the MOX.

In order to get audio from the MOX to the computer we have to discuss what USB I/O configuration you are using.

In the MOX6/MOX8 there are three major routing scenarios:
VST, 2StereoRec, 1StereoRec

VST - when working with the MOX6/MOX8 as a VSTi within a DAW environment
2StereoRec (Dual stereo record) - when recording the two stereo buses separately to a DAW
1StereoRec (stereo record) - normal stereo output

Here’s how to make the selection:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] USB I/O
Select “VST”, “2StereoRec”, or “1StereoRec”
Press the [SF6] INFO - to see a graphic of the signal flow in this particular USB INPUT/OUTPUT mode. Both the A/D Input and the internal PARTS have access to the INSERTION EFFECTS, SYSTEM and MASTER EFFCTS…

In general, you can use the MOX6/MOX8 EDITOR VST to handle audio routing for you (virtual routing) or you can simply manually route the PARTS to the outputs. There are two stereo pairs of outputs available (at maximum)

If you are set to “2StereoRec” you will be sending the A/D INPUT’s audio on USB 1/2 and all 16 PARTS of the MOX default to USB 3/4 (but can be selectively routed to USB 1/2 as necessary, when you need to isolate them)

If you are set to “1StereoRec” you will be sending both the A/D INPUT and the internal 16 PARTS to USB 1/2

If you are using the “VST” you will monitoring the audio through Cubase (virtual audio lane) and you would use EXPORT AUDIO MIXDOWN to render the audio track.

Most likely everything is working just fine, it is a matter of finding out how you want to work. Do you want to record everything as a stereo track? Do you want to setup to multi-track the audio, printing discreet audio tracks, each by each. Do you want to play and sing with a separate track for your vocals and another for the MOX… etc., etc., etc.

In Cubase:
Go to DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP > MIDI > MIDI PORT SETUP
Make sure only the MOX6/MOX8-1 (Port 1) is marked in the IN ALL MIDI INPUTS column

Go to the REMOTE DEVICES folder, the MOX6/MOX8 should be listed as the REMOTE CONTROL device, via MOX6/MOX8-2 (Port 2)

Go to the VST AUDIO SYSTEM; the “Yamaha MOX6/MOX8” should be selected as the ASIO Driver. Click OK

Manually you can route signal to Cubase by going to:
DEVICES > VST CONNECTIONS > INPUT tab
On the Input tab create a stereo input with “Yamaha MOX6/MOX8” as the AUDIO DEVICE, and set the DEVICE PORT to the pair of USB audio connections you are using 1/2 or 3/4.

Create a Stereo AUDIO TRACK assigned to this INPUT.

It’s working as intended now.  A huge thank you!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Yamaha Synthesizer Days: Sam Ash Music Stores
Next Topic:

If you are using Studio Manager ››