mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sampling question"

Posted on: June 06, 2011 @ 02:18 PM
metromike
Total Posts:  5
Joined  06-06-2011

Hi everyone! - I am new to the forum and had a basic question about sampling (i have the ES6). It is possible to sample a specific part off of a cd? or would you sample the whole song and pick and choose parts? I have been through the manaul and it left me more confused than when I started. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 06, 2011 @ 06:06 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

metromike,

It’s not exactly clear what you are asking.

The Motif ES can sample any analog audio presented at the A/D inputs (mono or stereo) up to 6 minutes and 20 seconds in length.  It can also directly import samples in WAV or AIFF formats...which includes tracks off audio CDs that have been “ripped” by a computer.

When you asked about sampling a “part” if you meant just a certain section of a song (a single verse, just the guitar solo, etc.), yes this is possible. But if you are asking about sampling just the drums or just the vocals, etc. that is not possible...nor is it with any other sampler.

If you tell us what you are trying to so it would be easier for us to help you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 06, 2011 @ 08:53 PM
metromike
Joined  06-06-2011

Thank you for the reply..I meant ‘strange’ parts Like the into to “disco inferno” or “get down tonight” or the part in “you give love a bad name” (right after the intro)....I suppose if I had the chops I could play it live, but just wondered if there was a way to sample these parts......thanks so much!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 06, 2011 @ 11:13 PM
KMKKEYS
Total Posts:  141
Joined  02-16-2009

Take whatever sounds from the CD that you would like to put into the Motif ES sampler, download the free audacity program or use something like Soundforge, open the song up, extract whatever you want from the song into a wave file, then download the same onto a smartmedia card or USB stick then place the wave into a voice.  You can now play the wave on whatever key that you can assign it to or place it into a sequence.

Read the manual on how to put a wave/sample into a voice.

Hope this helps:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials/soundforge

There is a slight learning curve to doing this, but once you do it, you will see how easy this really is.

The procedure is similiar to plugging a microphone into the Motif ES and sampling your voice on a track with a sequence.  The voice will be listed as I believe a waveform. This waveform can be placed into a voice as well and played from a key.

I hope I explained this well enough to get you up and running.

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2011 @ 09:50 AM
metromike
Joined  06-06-2011

Thanks Kenny - I’ll give it a try!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2011 @ 12:58 PM
metromike
Joined  06-06-2011

any idea what this message means?? - thanks

“track11.cda is an audio cd file”
“Audacity does not open this type of file”
“try ripping it to a native audio format that Audacity can import”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2011 @ 02:37 PM
KMKKEYS
Total Posts:  141
Joined  02-16-2009

That extension is from that of a cd.  Try converting that song to a .mp3 and then try with Audacity.

I use Soundforge personally, although it is not free.  I’m reasonably sure that Audacity does, however allow the conversion to a wave file.  Audacity also allow you to normalize the wave/sample as well as change the pitch without changing the speed.

I hope this helps.  If not, send me a PM and I will convert it for you and send it to you.  Trust me, once you have this figured out, it will open other doors for sampling, including singing on top of your sequences and producing then well enough to put on a cd for demos or whatever.

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2011 @ 02:56 PM
metromike
Joined  06-06-2011

thank you very much!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2011 @ 03:15 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
metromike - 06 June 2011 08:53 PM

I suppose if I had the chops I could play it live, but just wondered if there was a way to sample these parts......thanks so much!!!

Yes, you can sample the recording. You will not be able to separate out individual instruments in the mix.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif ES6 and USB
Next Topic:

Samples and waves ››