mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOX Live MIdi Applications"

Posted on: June 04, 2011 @ 11:56 PM
benj00
Total Posts:  113
Joined  06-03-2011

Hey you guuyyys . . .

Just purchased my MOX6 today and I am just starting to to delve into the voices and modes. Since I play mostly in cover/GB bands I think I am going to be playing it live in song mode. This way I can use my Fiery Red Stage Keyboard to play some of the MOX internal voices while also playing MOX voices with the MOX keyboard. Also I would like to be able to potentially have the MOX play FRSK’s voices while still having the MOX voices available to be played by the FRSK.

Any pointers would be great. The sense I am getting from the manual is that I want to have Songs saved with the voices I will use live, and then call them up using the solo function and 1-16 keys.

I am little confused by how the Master mode would fit into this. It seems like this is where the midi power of the MOX is, but I’m not quite getting it.

I am sure as I mess around with it, I’ll figure things out, just would like a little help as I do so.

Thanks!
Ben

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 05, 2011 @ 12:15 AM
benj00
Joined  06-03-2011

Checking out the earlier thread on this now. Sorry for the premature post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2011 @ 11:32 AM
benj00
Joined  06-03-2011

If any newbies are interested, I wound up using Song mode to organize my various patches, having some that only send midi data, and some that are for being played from an external instrument, and some to be played by the MOX. I then used Master mode to organize and select specific patches from these songs for on the fly use live. I plan to use the zone function in Master mode for splits and layers from the songs I created in Song mode. For example,using Master mode (with a Song I created), I can split the MOX keyboard so half of it is playing an MOX synth patch and the other half is playing a patch on my 2nd keyboard, while the 2nd keyboard is playing a patch on the MOX. Pretty sweet . . .

It seems like the MOX, probably like the motif, is organized in such a way that you can perform the same function in different modes in a slightly different way. This makes it harder to get started initially it seems, but when you delve into the various modes, things get much easier, and very intuitive.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2011 @ 02:54 PM
Steve B
Total Posts:  14
Joined  10-14-2010

Hey there!
I too use the red stage piano (76) and plan to use the mox6 to cover the sounds that are missing. As much as I love it, I’m tired of hauling around a Motif XS8 and taking up half the stage.
I plan on using the “red one” for pianos/E pianos/clav/organ and cover horns/strings/etc with the MOX. I’ll set up the songs on the piano and have the mox change patches only. It is more compact even though I have to brings 2 keyboards. It is after all only 15 pounds.

I am awaiting delivery (sigh)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2011 @ 01:12 AM
benj00
Joined  06-03-2011

Awesome,

I have been using the MOX6 with the red stage piano for doing cover bands, weddings, etc. I’ve been getting some good feedback on the sounds, not surprising considering it uses the XS engine. I am not sure how you plan to use it, but I wound up creating a user voice first in voice mode (in case I need to edit/fine tune it later), then a creating a few different songs with the different user voices assigned to different midi channels (or the same for layers). Then in master mode, I set up each patch accordingly, by selecting the song I wanted to use and then the corresponding midi channel. The zone functions in master mode are great for doing splits with the different tracks and controlling midi volume, etc.

**Note: one of the main reasons I created the user voices was so that I could boost the output volume of the MOX, which even with the 6.6db boost was still below the red stage piano, at least on a majority of the patches I wanted to use. It seems you can adjust output in voice edit, in the song mode edit for each track (mixing mode) and also in Master mode. I found that it was in voice mode, however, where the output volume could be boosted most significantly. (for most patches) Also you can dial down some of the huge reverbs and silly delays this way too.

***I also sometimes control the red stage organs and synths with the mox6 keyboard and the MOX strings and pianos with the nord for convenience. This is possible in voice, song or master mode, depending on how you want to do it, simultaneously, one keyboard as slave, etc. There is one tune where I am considering have the Red’s Synth A and B panel controlled by a two zone split on the MOX6 keyboard while the red keyboard is in dual Kb mode with the A and B External modes split controlling MOX voices.

Anyway, I don’t think you can beat the versatility and sound quality of the MOX with the affordability and weight factored in.
The competing Korgs and Rolands don’t match up at all, the yamaha beats then out hands down.

Ben

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Help adding reverb to analog input
Next Topic:

Sheet music stand for MoX-8 ››