mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "effects in performance mode"

Posted on: June 02, 2011 @ 03:25 AM
RockinRobin
Total Posts:  213
Joined  01-22-2011

How do you change the insert effects for each or the four parts in performance mode???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2011 @ 03:46 AM
papaphoenix
Total Posts:  1614
Joined  03-09-2004

Hi, you cannont edit insertion effects in performance mode, you need to import the performance in song or pattern mode, and used the voice edit (F6) on the mixing and saved each part edit as a mixing voice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2011 @ 03:57 AM
RockinRobin
Joined  01-22-2011
papaphoenix - 02 June 2011 03:46 AM

Hi, you cannont edit insertion effects in performance mode, you need to import the performance in song or pattern mode, and used the voice edit (F6) on the mixing and saved each part edit as a mixing voice.

Thanks for the reply. That seems crazy if I’m playing live. Bummer! I love my board however I’m having Roland Fantom envy right now :( its less complicated and more flexible and powerful. The sampler seems better and more powerful too. Ugh.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2011 @ 07:27 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

That is one way to do it, but to understand PERFORMANCE mode and the Insertion Effects, you need this information:

A PERFORMANCE is made up of as many as four internal VOICEs each placed in a PART, and an AD INPUT. Each of the four INTERNAL Voices automatically recall their dual Insertion Effects from VOICE mode. After all, the Insertion Effects are a part of the VOICE itself - the same as the 8 Elements (8 oscillators that make up that VOICE). The AD PART also can have its own 2 INSERTION EFFECTS, as well, per PERFORMANCE.

An INSERTION EFFECT in the real world is the one the musician controls - the one they plug their instrument into and manipulate during a live performance of that instrument.
A SYSTEM EFFECT and the MASTER EFFECT are effects they can access that recreate the outer environment (the room acoustics, time delays, etc) or are applied to the entire mix (as is the case with the MASTER FX). The musician does not typically have real-time control of these - as they represent the place the music is taking place in. To the SYSTEM EFFECT (Reverb and Chorus) each PART has a SEND amount. The MASTER EFFECT all PARTS are routed to it together.

This point is very important to understand. Within a Motif-series VOICE, you can route each of the potential 8 Elements (oscillators) of a MOTIF VOICE to INSERTION “A” or INSERTION “B” or both, or neither. This level of complexity is available at the VOICE Edit level, not at the PERFORMANCE. It is not a limitation, but an advantage.

When you place a VOICE in a PART, what a PART is, is a set of additional parameters that act to customize and adapt the selected VOICE to this combination of VOICES. This is accomplished by “offsetting” values from the original VOICE programming. Unlike the synths you mentioned, the MotifXS/XF and MOX have an 8 oscillator (multi-sample) architecture in the individual program (what Yamaha calls the VOICE… (not a 2 oscillator engine like the others). Therefore the routing is, as you say (much) more complex, but we heartily disagree about any lack of “flexibility” and “power”.

PART parameters allow you to customize the SYSTEM EFFECTS, and the MASTER EFFECT, as well as apply offsets to the VOICE’s Volume, Pan position, Note Shift, Tuning, PB range, overall Note Range, overall Velocity Range, Filter-Amplitude-Pitch envelopes, each PART has its own 3-band EQ, each PART can be assigned 5 different arpeggios, etc., etc., etc. But among the things that are a part of the VOICE are the 8 oscillators, their individual velocity and key mapping ranges, their Insertion Effects and their individual routing to those Insertion Effects…

Therefore if you want to change the INSERTION EFFECTS assigned to a VOICE< it is done in VOICE mode. SIMPLE: EDIT the VOICE. Then use the Edited version of the VOICE in your PERFORMANCE! Saying you want to change the Insertion Effect on a PART of a PERFORMANCE is like saying you have selected the wrong VOICE. It is like saying : The square wave lead sound in PART 4 is wrong… change the VOICE in PART 4. Or go to VOICE mode and edit the VOICE itself… which would accomplish the same thing.

They, the Insertion Effects, are literally a part of the VOICE, just like changing the source waveform. It is not so complex to understand. It is like you have more to deal with - this may be more difficult to grok but you’ll get used to it (it is flexible and powerful). It is like being rich for the first time, you don’t realize right away that you have more options!

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2011 @ 08:05 AM
RockinRobin
Joined  01-22-2011

Of course it helps Bad_Mister! However, one last question : if I do the edits in voice mode will it permanently save the edit? Say I want to do some monster weird piano stuff and tweak the s6 piano. When I return to that voice while in pattern mode, wanting the original S6 sample, will I get my edit that I don’t want???? Thanks for the very detailed response.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2011 @ 12:30 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002
FallenStarBeats - 02 June 2011 08:05 AM

Of course it helps Bad_Mister! However, one last question : if I do the edits in voice mode will it permanently save the edit? Say I want to do some monster weird piano stuff and tweak the s6 piano. When I return to that voice while in pattern mode, wanting the original S6 sample, will I get my edit that I don’t want???? Thanks for the very detailed response.

Any edit you do in Voice mode is “permanent” once you STORE the edited voice (you cannot store an edited Preset voice back to its original location, you must save it to a User Bank location of your choice).

You’ll always have the same S6 “sample” (meaning the same sampled waveform of the S6) - that is impossible to delete or change. Voices
are made up of elements and each element uses 1 waveform, it can be any
of the waveforms in ROM (factory) or newly loaded samples.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2019 @ 05:45 AM
cr38or
Total Posts:  8
Joined  01-31-2019

When im in PERFORM mode, i can’t hear the effects i’ve saved on the VOICE in VOICE mode.

So, i’ve created the Organ sound i want in VOICE mode, with delay.
I assigned that VOICE to my patch in PERFORM mode.
I can hear the Organ, but not the delay..

what am i missing?

how do you hear FX you’ve assigned in VOICE mode, in PERFORM mode using that same assigned VOICE?

thanks in advance!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2019 @ 09:21 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
cr38or - 01 February 2019 05:45 AM

When im in PERFORM mode, i can’t hear the effects i’ve saved on the VOICE in VOICE mode.
[...]

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/480880/

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Ordered a XF6 today.
Next Topic:

Glad To Help The Cause ››