mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Applying guitar gear to Motif (ES)"

Posted on: May 29, 2011 @ 04:48 PM
Kahnn
Total Posts:  53
Joined  05-28-2011

Hello,
I’ve been searching guitar gears to use them with my Motif ES7. By ‘guitar gears,’ I mean pedals, and processors especially used by guitars.

Has anyone tried to connect a guitar pedal / processor to any Motif keyboard? A wah pedal for lead sounds, an analog overdrive -possibly a vintage one- for the EP’s, a distortion pedal for guitar voices of Motif, etc.?

For the record, I’ve been searching guitar gear for some time, and will probably have purchased either a Cry Baby SW-95 Slash signature or a Mister Cry Baby Super by the end of this week. The former is a wah pedal with a nice distortion, and the latter is a wah/volume pedal. What do you think it would sound like?

In one of the posts at this forum, someone has mentioned connecting one of the assignable outputs to a guitar amp and that it sounded awesome (I think this ‘someone’ was Phil).
Should a split configuration could ONLY be in song/pattern mode, or could it also be done in performance / multi mode, too?

Thanks…

P.S. I know about the Neo-Ventilator; but not interested in ‘killer’ organ sounds. Also, that stuff is way too expensive.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2011 @ 03:31 PM
ksounds
Total Posts:  670
Joined  05-06-2004

I used a Pod-X3 with clean electric guitar sounds from a Motif XS and thought the results were very nice. Certainly a lot of great tone possibilities. And yes, either Performance or Song / Pattern mode would work since they allow you to use the extra outs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2011 @ 05:55 PM
Kahnn
Joined  05-28-2011

Thanks, Kevin!
It’s encouraging to hear that. For X3 is digital, I have tried enhancing the lead sounds through VST effects of Ableton Live, and it also sounded nice/interesting.
I really wonder what will happen with the analog stuff. There won’t be a need for a noise gate or DI-Box, hopefully.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2011 @ 08:29 PM
ksounds
Total Posts:  670
Joined  05-06-2004

Yeah, as long as you have a good amount of gain from the Motif, you should be good to go direct. If you like what you come up with, post some clips!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 04, 2011 @ 11:25 PM
Kahnn
Joined  05-28-2011

Got my SW-95 at last!
It is perfect as a wah pedal, but a bit disappointed for its drive is more a booster than a distortion. When activated, the sound is too much => red clips everywhere. I’ve also experienced that one should not use ANY effects from inside the Motif unless there is a loop.

Before explaning the term loop:
You cannot put delay pedal/effect before a drive pedal/effect. If you do, the drive will affect not the voice/sound itself, but also the ‘delayed’ sounds, too. So, it gets messy and it’s far from being a clear/clean sound/voice.

That’s why you have to loop:
no-effect output signal from one of the keyboard’s assignable outputs => wah pedal => drive pedal => Motif’s A/D (guitar) input => Insert effect(s) from inside the Motif => output from main out(s)

A bit nonsense, right? I think the same :) Haven’t tried this connection yet, though. Scared to do any harm to My Motif. What do you think? Would it be safe?

I’ll get a ‘true’ drive pedal next week; for now, I’m enjoying this wah (and VL of course) only. It’s fun!

Best Wishes,
Kahnn

[ Ignore ]