mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using SMF files in Logic 9"

Posted on: May 28, 2011 @ 02:53 AM
metamorphis8
Total Posts:  18
Joined  03-21-2011

I have recorded performances on the XF using the internal sequencer. Now, I wish to copy that MIDI information into Logic. I have read various articles on this site, and following the advice of the experts, saved the sequencer performance(s) as SMF files. When I load the SMF file into Logic 9, it recognizes the file, but the output of the tracks is garbled, and does not appear to contain the MIDI information saved by the Motif on the tracks that were recorded into the internal sequencer.

The goal of this process is to recreate the same discrete MIDI tracks utilized on the Motif XF onto Logic 9. After that, one can freely mix/edit the individual tracks to create an acceptable final mix.

Any advice on Logic or Motif settings would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gear: MacBook Pro I7; Motif Xf8; OS 10.6.x

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 28, 2011 @ 12:58 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Each MIDI event is identified by the channel it is meant for, so what may be ‘garbled’ is the instructions to play it back. Make sure that the data is not being re-channelized by your DAW

If you are playing back multiple MIDI channels to the Motif XF make sure you are in SONG MIXING or PATTERN MIXING mode (you do not mention). These are the only modes in the XF where you can receive MIDI data on multiple channels. And ensure that your MIDI data is being sent to the correct PART.

analyzing what you said (versus what is unsaid):

I have recorded performances on the XF using the internal sequencer.

Does this mean you were using direct PERFORMANCE RECORD? If yes, then the XF copied the PARTS of that PERFORMANCE to your SONG or PATTERN with the correct MIDI assignments. You should use that MIXING setup when playing back your MIDI data from Logic 9.

When I load the SMF file into Logic 9, it recognizes the file, but the output of the tracks is garbled, and does not appear to contain the MIDI information saved by the Motif on the tracks that were recorded into the internal sequencer.

This should be easy to verify by simply looking at the data. If you cannot figure this out, please give us a few more details about how you generated the data in the first place, maybe we can help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 28, 2011 @ 04:31 PM
metamorphis8
Total Posts:  18
Joined  03-21-2011

Thanks for your response. As an example, I created and recorded a performance directly to the internal sequencer of the Motif XF. It contains 6 “tracks”.  I did so in performance mode, recording within the song mode of the XF. I can mix, play back, etc the performance on the Motif without issue. I can also save the performance as an audio file, and import that to Logic. However, doing that results in a single track which cannot be properly remixed in the DAW.

When I attempt to record this MIDI performance into Logic 9, I experience problems. I have attempted to record directly to the computer from the Motif via USB. I used the Quick Set up mode, “recording internal sequencer to computer”. I then play back the performance on the Motif and press the record button in Logic. At best, one track out of the six is recorded, and it seems to be the rhythm section. I have the appropriate drivers installed, and Logic recognizes the Motif XF. I have selected “external midi instrument” as the track parameter in Logic 9.

I then attempted, as you suggested in a different post, to record the performance as an SMF file to a USB stick. Using this mode, Logic creates individual tracks for each of the sequenced tracks. However, it does not play them back properly.  I can hear multiple tracks, but as I noted earlier, the playback from Logic sounds more like data and very little like music.

You mentioned that the Motif should be in song or pattern mixing mode to receive multi channel MIDI when sending MIDI data to the Motif. Does that apply when sending MIDI information out of the Motif (e.g. to a DAW) and not in?

Regarding the issue of a DAW “de-channeling” the data, I’d appreciate it if you might suggest any settings to inspect to ensure this is not happening.

Likely, I have the incorrect settings in Logic or on the Motif, and, being relatively new to the intricacies of MIDI, do not have an idea of what the correct settings should be. Given the usefulness and relative simplicity of the Motif’s internal sequencer, I would like to use it for quick recordings, then transfer to a DAW for further editing as necessary.

Any assistance is sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

SS

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 28, 2011 @ 06:51 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

First of all, you are going to need a basic understanding of Logic Tracks...

motif8mine - 30 July 2010 05:54 AM
motif8mine - 12 June 2010 08:28 PM

Logic Track Types are:
1) Audio Tracks: self-explanatory- recorded regions are blue in color… (Can be bounced off-line)

2) Software Instrument Tracks: utilize Logic’s internal Virtual Instruments… (Can be bounced off-line)

Software Instrument Tracks can also accommodate Audio files, loops, etc...

3) External MIDI Tracks: ports MIDI to / from external devices (synths, tone generators, etc)- MIDI contains no Audio, it triggers a Synths Tone Generator which produces audio, as such it cannot be bounced… Audio must be routed back into Logic via Audio Interface… The output of that Audio Interface must be routed to Logic’s input bus and recorded onto Audio tracks before it can be bounced…
(As this track processes MIDI Only, the only effects available on the channel strip are MIDI-based...) Default color for recorded MIDI regions is green.

4) External Instruments Tracks: Really a software instrument track with the added bonus porting MIDI to external devices. The Audio Output of those devices is routed back to the External Instrument Track, (via Audio Interface or mLAN), where it can be recorded as Audio, bounced in realtime, (no offline bouncing), and can be processed by Logic effects, etc… Link To Post On External Instrument Track In Logic...

You need to make sure that you are creating type #3 (External MIDI Tracks) and port them to the XF USB Port #1.

motif8mine - 03 February 2011 04:26 AM

Yea, I picked up on that. There is some basic reading in the manual you are going to have to do but, first of all:

MIDI contains no audio. Simplified- MIDI is data only that records, key presses: which notes or notes, their length, duration and pressure, release, etc…

MIDI can trigger either a tone generator (such as the Motif) or a software instrument which is a software version of a tone generator). Since the software instruments reside in the MAC, MIDI regions on those tracks can be auditioned at all times. MIDI regions on external MIDI tracks can only be auditioned when the Motif is physcally connected… see below…

motif8mine - 12 June 2010 08:28 PM

a) Open Logic Pro and create and external midi track, the Motif Ports should appear in the Media / Library as an option… The Motif uses port #1 and that port within Logic should have the (name of the synth)… ...

When you create additional external tracks for the Motif. Select the Motif Instrument from the library as stated above and the corresponding Midi Channel.

Also, if you are using tracks 1-6 in the XF, make sure you have are selecting the same MIDI channel for each track in Logic as you select the ports. As a shortcut, create the first External MIDI Track and port it to the XF Port #1 and MIDI channel #1. Then create next five external MIDI tracks and the port and MIDI channels will be automatically selected: 2-6…

Finally, make sure you have the same instruments selected in the XF- tracks 1-6 as when you recorded the performance…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Setting it up .. A motif Es and a Mac..
Next Topic:

FW16e Setup in Logic 9 ››