mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha Motif XF XS a feature request for a Micro Tuning support in Performance mode"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: May 23, 2011 @ 02:50 AM
kelfar
Total Posts:  174
Joined  11-08-2003

Dear Friends and Yamaha Engineers,

I have been asking for this feature for years from Yamaha and it seems that Yamaha team do not want to implement this feature. Do you have a valid reason? :)

Yamaha is losing customers who play music with micro tuning i.e Greeks, Middle Eastern, Eastern European, etc…

I am sure someone today from Yamaha Japan will read my post and reconsider this feature which is important for all musicians around the world.

“Yamaha Motif XF/XS a feature request for a Micro Tuning support in Performance mode”

Best
KELFAR

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2011 @ 05:56 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

Can you please explain what the benefits would be?

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2011 @ 08:50 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

The benefits would be for playing music that does not use equal temperment.

Yamaha, Korg and Roland all offer “oriental” versions of some of their arrangers with “Arabic” tunings and sounds.

The XS and XF support microtuning in Voice mode only.

The current workaround for Motif ES and MO is the rather expensive Kelfar AK-1 which is $350 in the Motifator shop. It doesn’t say in the text that XS or XF are supported.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2011 @ 11:03 AM
bytexion
Total Posts:  128
Joined  05-12-2011

Kind of funny that the DX7 was one of the first synths that had microtunings built in, there’s quite a long list of tunings for that old thing from 1983 :) I’ve never used that feature on any synths, but I suppose it’s nice for those who play in those scales and not our “western” 12-note scale.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2011 @ 12:08 PM
kelfar
Joined  11-08-2003

If micro-tuning is supported by Voices then it should be supported in Performance mode.

The benefit in performance, you have the 4 arps and 4 voices. For example, you can have Bass on the Left, and Right voices will support micro-tuning.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2011 @ 12:40 PM
Igglethorpe
Total Posts:  163
Joined  11-20-2010

I can definitely see a need for this.  Would be very helpful in playing different Ragas in Hindustani music, too.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2011 @ 01:25 PM
kelfar
Joined  11-08-2003

Agreed!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2011 @ 06:38 AM
kelfar
Joined  11-08-2003

Is Yamaha going to answer my post :)

This feature is a must for a new OS updates for motif xs and xf.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2011 @ 09:14 AM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
Igglethorpe - 23 May 2011 12:40 PM

I can definitely see a need for this.  Would be very helpful in playing different Ragas in Hindustani music, too.

Ditto.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2011 @ 01:17 PM
chilly
Total Posts:  738
Joined  05-05-2008
kelfar - 08 June 2011 06:38 AM

Is Yamaha going to answer my post :)

This feature is a must for a new OS updates for motif xs and xf.

the anfortionate truth is:

Motif XF is already dicontinued with cp1 right when Korg Kronos was relised.

Do u really think that Yamaha will give a new os while thay cannot get any money from it?

I guess no.
at list Yamaha, Kurzweil could but Yamaha is not Kurzweil.
thay care only about instant profit not a music

p.s. Yammy works on a new keyboard and thay put all afford to make it as quickly as possible( not as best as possible) :( because right now thay are with Motif Xf( which should set the standarts for keyboards for years to come whatch this video http://www.motifator.com/index.php/videos/view/inspiration_comes_in_a_flash )
right out of the market .

p.s.
The problem is that Yamaha did almost 0 reserches to bring something new and utilize the modern technohogies as best as possible, instid thay hoped to get $$ once more for up coming years with the same 11 years old Motif which does not really improved since then, but suddenly Korg relised Kronos and mess up Yamaha plans

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2011 @ 01:23 PM
W0lfgang
Total Posts:  222
Joined  07-14-2009

Is Korg doing any researches? Do you really think Kronos is the result of nowadays technology?

The limit Yamaha (and other big companies) has is OUR real capabilities. They didn’t put on their keyboards more features because people who buy these instruments doesn’t use them. And one of these people are probably YOU.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2011 @ 01:53 PM
chilly
Total Posts:  738
Joined  05-05-2008
W0lfgang - 08 June 2011 01:23 PM

Is Korg doing any researches? Do you really think Kronos is the result of nowadays technology?

The limit Yamaha (and other big companies) has is OUR real capabilities. They didn’t put on their keyboards more features because people who buy these instruments doesn’t use them. And one of these people are probably YOU.

Yes Korg Kronos does not use moder technologies either, u are right, but atlist korg give us today which was state of the art 8 years ago when korg Oasys was introduced.now Korg puted in to Kronos all thay had for all their history of existence.

While Motif never was state of the art, not now nur when it was introduced and to make the thing worse actualy when classic motif was relised thay cuted so many futurs from it which were in previouse generation of synth from Yamaha....

p.s. Kurzweil has big problems with samples department but their synth and effect engine is so powerful and flexible that is far ahead from modern Motif XF , but all that stuff which is now in kurzweil pc3k , 90 % of it already was in k2500 or k2600.
and do u know what years are thouse keyboards come from? thay came from 90s.
if kurzweil won’t went bunckrut which paralised their R&D;deparment with their gigant steps today we would have super synth and Motif Xf would be just a toy for kids compare to it…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2011 @ 02:22 PM
SuperPartyRobot
Total Posts:  125
Joined  10-19-2007
kelfar - 23 May 2011 02:50 AM

Dear Friends and Yamaha Engineers,

I have been asking for this feature for years from Yamaha and it seems that Yamaha team do not want to implement this feature. Do you have a valid reason? :)

Yamaha is losing customers who play music with micro tuning i.e Greeks, Middle Eastern, Eastern European, etc…

I am sure someone today from Yamaha Japan will read my post and reconsider this feature which is important for all musicians around the world.

“Yamaha Motif XF/XS a feature request for a Micro Tuning support in Performance mode”

Best
KELFAR

Is there a particular reason why you can’t store your micro-tuning parameters in voice mode as a user voice and then assign the user voice to a performance?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2011 @ 03:15 PM
kelfar
Joined  11-08-2003

What about if I want to use different scales for the same performance.

For example, in Middle-Eastern music, you modulate from one note to another. It is never the same scale for the same song. Unlike in Western music, all you have is Major or Minor scales and you do not need to use micro tuning scales.

There is a logic behind allowing user scales in Performance mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2011 @ 04:06 PM
SuperPartyRobot
Total Posts:  125
Joined  10-19-2007

I understand what you’re saying and I think what you’re asking for is a “Master” tuning implementation for the keyboard that can be applied across all modes at any time. That would be awesome in the future but the Motif, as it stands now, does allow what you’re asking for with a slight work around. It’s more work, (like an extra 5 min) but you could do it in song or pattern mode.

create the voices with the specific tunings, user or preset, and assign the voices to different parts within the song or pattern mode. For example, you can create a voice with equal tuning assigned to part 1 and the same voice with Arabic tuning assigned to part 2. When you switch between the parts, you will have the same voice but with different tunings. Since performances can also be copied into song or pattern, you can have up to four performances assigned across 16 parts over 64 songs and 64 patterns and the same concept can be applied. For example, performance 1 with equal tuning can be applied to parts 1-4, performance 2 with Arabic tuning can be applied to parts 5-8, performance 3 with user tunings can be applied to parts 9-12 and performance 4 with Indian tuning can be applied to parts 13-16. Now simply pressing the 1,5,9 or 13 button will give you access to the copied performances with the applied tunings. It’s not as elegant as the PSROR700’s scale memory but it gets the job done.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2011 @ 12:25 AM
kelfar
Joined  11-08-2003

Thanks for you reply. Your solution is ok but not a 0 practical for a live playing situation.

What Yamaha missed implementing is the user scales access in the Global mode area.

Voice and Performance must share the same User Scales access from the Global mode area.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Why not more userbanks?
Next Topic:

AWM vs AWM2 ››