mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOX 6 Arrived Today"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: May 10, 2011 @ 03:40 AM
summers
Total Posts:  190
Joined  05-22-2007

I received a new MOX 6 today and after a brief peiod of playing the machine, I noted these things:  1. It sounds a lot like the Motif XS.(to me) 2. Many of the same voices and performances are on board. 3. The layout of the board is somewhat similar to the XS but different enough to require study and familarization.(and is not as convenient at first blush) 4. It is very light and it is pleasant to look at if those features are important to you. 5. The keybed is somewhat similar(but of lower quality)to the XS. 6. The physical fact of playing it is close enough to feel somewhat familiar. 7. I played several big chords and it did not drop notes.(on the voices that I used, no pedal) 8.  It seems sturdy enough but it is, of course, made of plastic. I feel that it is a keeper, but I just touched the surface of the unit. I am just a tweaker/player so the deeper qualities of the machine call for another reviewer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2011 @ 05:45 PM
yamahaforums
Total Posts:  71
Joined  02-07-2005

Still waiting for mine :( Not been given a delivery date except it shows on the web site as in stock on the 15th. This in the UK by the way, I know the US seems to have received stock already but that always seems to be the way, bigger market I guess.

Anyway, hopefully 5 days or less to go and I will be able to add my first impressions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2011 @ 06:48 PM
jrosand
Total Posts:  17
Joined  07-30-2003

My MOx6 arrived today as well.  I was very anxious to try it out and was NOT disappointed when I did. 

A few years ago I bought a MO8.  I was shocked when I played one of the first Performances on it and had all sorts of note drop outs and polyphony glitches.  The MO8 was so terrible I got rid of it as soon as I could.

I was delighted to experience NO polyphony issues with the MOX6.  I gave it a real work out this afternoon and it was totally glitch free.  64 note polyphony is more than adequate with the MOX6. 

I normally always go with an 88 note graded hammer action keyboard but decided this time to try the synth action 61 key model.  This keybed feels great and is not in the least way a cheap feeling keybed.  There are octave and transpose buttons conveniently located making the longer keyboard unnecessary.  I love it.

The sound pallet on this instrument is huge and really sounds great.  This is a killer keyboard.  Best money I ever spent.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2011 @ 08:12 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Not sure, I wasn’t there, but there seems to be a lapel mic clipped to his tee shirt at the neck.

Much ado about nothing....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 11, 2011 @ 01:13 AM
summers
Joined  05-22-2007

I noticed after playing the MOX more that there is some audible clacking of keys which is more evident with some sounds than others. I can see how that noise if sent through the sound system somehow would be very bad.  I listened very closely to other sounds as I played and discovered that even with the sounds where the clacking is not evident, if you listen real close, you can hear it. The noise seems louder with hard pianos. I am running my sound through a Traynor K4 stereo amp. I couldn’t say if it is really that much more than other boards(which make key noises sometimes) It is not enough to change my mind about the board at this point.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 11, 2011 @ 02:07 AM
Moomintroll
Total Posts:  25
Joined  05-06-2011
summers - 11 May 2011 01:13 AM

I noticed after playing the MOX more that there is some audible clacking of keys which is more evident with some sounds than others. I can see how that noise if sent through the sound system somehow would be very bad.  I listened very closely to other sounds as I played and discovered that even with the sounds where the clacking is not evident, if you listen real close, you can hear it. The noise seems louder with hard pianos. I am running my sound through a Traynor K4 stereo amp. I couldn’t say if it is really that much more than other boards(which make key noises sometimes) It is not enough to change my mind about the board at this point.

Are you sure the clacking is not a feature of some voices, namely, the hard pianos, i. e. part of the sample? I’ve never played a synth but even my PSR s900 makes a thumping noise if I press the keys hard - I’ve never noticed while playing though and has never distracted me from playing.

I also wonder how the clacking noise could be transferred to the sound system since the output goes from the D/A convertor of the keyboard. Unless it is a part of the sample there should be something wrong with the inner circuits or another part of the hardware.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 11, 2011 @ 12:07 PM
dcool
Total Posts:  426
Joined  11-01-2006
summers - 11 May 2011 01:13 AM

Maybe the clacking noise is articulation of “hard pianos” patch? or keyoff sample of that?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 11, 2011 @ 01:45 PM
summers
Joined  05-22-2007

I can’t be sure, but I am still checking the board out.  So far, it is meeting my needs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 11, 2011 @ 05:33 PM
Gospelpad160
Total Posts:  316
Joined  01-25-2006

The MOX 6/8 sounds 99.5% like the Motif XS/XF presets!  You can’t go wrong with this board!  Just checked it out at GC side by side with an XF and just like the MO and the ES it is almost there with just a little left out that I can’t put my hands on but great enough to justify paying less for it!  Great Job YAMAHA!!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 12, 2011 @ 08:01 AM
cfinn
Total Posts:  143
Joined  11-15-2007

Fedex just delivered my MOX6 a few hours ago
Thanks Sam Ash for quick delivery to OZ
A quick trip to Dick Smith to get a Oz power supply and....

WOW !
First impressions are excellent
Just been playing around with some of the performances
Playing with the knobs and settings
Loaded up the editor and VST editor , floorless installation and use into cubase 6
First class sound quality
The keys feel the same as my MO6, pretty good, no knocking or clicking here
Love the colour of the MOX
Feeling very very excited
Anyway just touching the surface

Chris

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 12, 2011 @ 03:48 PM
Andrambl
Total Posts:  2
Joined  05-25-2010

Hallo, anybody say me, please, where does MOX6/8 make? I mean what wrote in lable(made in Japan or China or Indonesia). Sorry for English.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 12, 2011 @ 11:14 PM
cfinn
Total Posts:  143
Joined  11-15-2007

Hey Purcell

sorry unfortnately I have to go to work
but I did spend an hour before I went to work to do a bit more MOXing
The layout is great and lcd display good enough
I will never understand why they dont make them bigger
The keyboard is definately lighter than my MO6 !! and not as deep.
Downloaded and installed the YC-3B ......very nice, really like it
Already had prologue as I had cubase 6 already installed, but prologue is nice
Am keen to get stuck into the DAW stuff over the weekend
So far excellent value for money !!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2011 @ 01:14 AM
summers
Joined  05-22-2007

I am happy with the MOX 6.  My original statement has proven correct. I plan to keep the unit. As of now and for my needs, I am very satisfied

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2011 @ 02:22 PM
adan
Total Posts:  2
Joined  05-17-2011
purcell - 14 May 2011 07:49 PM

There are new MOX videos - Youtube!

Now it starts - that you can see and hear - much more about the MOX!
Hopefully every day ... new videos on Youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEe-qD-jbPQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDDNewUnbtU

Are you a BOT?  Seriously, I’m new to this forum and just reading through the various MOX threads.  It’s a great keyboard for the money, but it will not change your life.  OK, maybe it will. . .

The MOX6 keys are not noisy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2011 @ 02:22 PM
tommymandel
Total Posts:  81
Joined  01-15-2003
purcell - 23 May 2011 07:57 PM

Hello adan!

I am the MOX robot!

I am inside the MOX!

But I have only 64 voices!

---and 64 posts---about the keys---

; )

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 27, 2011 @ 10:35 AM
dcool
Total Posts:  426
Joined  11-01-2006
Andrambl - 12 May 2011 03:48 PM

Hallo, anybody say me, please, where does MOX6/8 make? I mean what wrote in lable(made in Japan or China or Indonesia). Sorry for English.

Made in China ;-) (you can check the bottom of the key or the out side of the box)

If it does matter to you then the MO series was original made from Japan and discontinue and now new series MOX will be China made.

I noticed the key is designed a little different mechanism, they use the end of plastic of the key as the spring (you can see at the end of the key) instead of the real spring other end of the key. I’m not sure ...it is or not. Someone please confirm.

Hope that helps,
dcool

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Bert Smorenburg on MOX
Next Topic:

Is the MOX compatible with XS patches?? ››