mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Length of keys on MoX-8"

Posted on: May 06, 2011 @ 06:07 PM
Moomintroll
Total Posts:  25
Joined  05-06-2011

Hi,

I am in the market for a Digital Piano. So far I have chosen the CP-33, I like its keyboard action, and have been saving up my pennies. However, for only 500 Euros more I can have the fully blown synthesizer MoX-8 with all of the voices, patterns, etc.

My question is if the keys of the MoX-8 are as long as those of the CP-33 (or, any other digital piano from the CLP/CBP series manufactured by Yamaha). I cannot judge this from the pictures provided on the web. If its keys are short (like, say, the PSR keyboards) the MoX-8 will be a no go and I will have to go for the CP-33. I have no idea what the keyboard action of the MoX-8 is like but let’s say this is not important at this point. My primary concern is about the length of keys.

Also, I do not truly care about the piano sound on MoX-8 as I intend to buy the Synthogy Ivory Grand software for my iMac anyway. But the other features of the MoX are very nice to be had.

Yours,

Moomintroll

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2011 @ 08:29 PM
djuice
Total Posts:  125
Joined  04-06-2011

Moomintroll,
The MOX8 is equipped with GHS type keyboard, and the CP series come an better premium hammer mechanics. (GH3?)
Both keys size and weighting different from them, and the key-pivot dives into the instrument body at CPs also, so the playing experience different.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2011 @ 10:30 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010

Maybe you’d like to have a look at the following thread.
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/451917/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2011 @ 01:24 AM
Moomintroll
Joined  05-06-2011

Thanks for the replies.

dJuice, the keyboard action is very subjective and that’s why I’d rather disregard it at this point. the CP series (33 and 300 and 50) have the GH action, the CP-5 have a very very light action, and it’s not a graded action but balanced. AFAIK, none of Yammie’s portable keyboards have the GH3, or GH3+NW because it would make the keyboard too heavy.

vhsarma, thanks for the link. Ignoring all of the irony in that thread, the keys of the CP33 do create the illusion they are shorter than those of an acoustic piano but as soon as I start to play it it turns out it’s just an illusion, not reality. The only useful (for me) post in that thread was yours, where you say

I don’t know about the XS but I’ve compared my Motif XF6 keys with my Clavinova CLP-340 keys. The 36 white keys on the XF6 are equal in length to 35 white keys on CLP-340. And I do feel the difference while playing the XF6 :( . It took me quite some time to get used to the smaller sized keys.

One one hand you say the “Motif XF6 keys are equal in length to the keys on CLP-340”. On the other hand you say that it took you quite some time to get used to the smaller keys. The 2 sentences contradict each other and I am confused.

Just to avoid any misunderstanding about what I am asking about, the keys have length, width and height, in that thread users discuss the width of the keys which can be 2 cm or so. Length should be a number like 12 or 14 cm.

Regards,

Moomintroll

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2011 @ 02:11 AM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
Moomintroll - 07 May 2011 01:24 AM

I don’t know about the XS but I’ve compared my Motif XF6 keys with my Clavinova CLP-340 keys. The 36 white keys on the XF6 are equal in length to 35 white keys on CLP-340. And I do feel the difference while playing the XF6 :( . It took me quite some time to get used to the smaller sized keys.

One one hand you say the “Motif XF6 keys are equal in length to the keys on CLP-340”. On the other hand you say that it took you quite some time to get used to the smaller keys. The 2 sentences contradict each other and I am confused.

Really sorry to have created some kind of a confusion :(

I don’t have a measuring tape handy right now, but what I meant was this:

If you measure the distance (or width, if you prefer) from C1 to C6 (both keys inclusive) on the Motif XF6, then it comes out to be the same as the measurement from C1 to B5 (both inclusive) on the CLP-340. Which just means that the width of the individual keys (I just checked the white keys only) on the Motif XF6 is (slightly) less than width of individual keys on the CLP-340.

Hope I’m more clear now.

Incidently, even the length of individual keys on the XF6 is (approx.) half a centimeter less than that on the CLP-340.

It took me a while to get used to the different sized keys, but things are (I guess) much better now.

In any case, as the Jedi_Knight points out in that thread, even different Pianos don’t have same-sized keys. I’ve not had the chance to try (leave alone measure their key sizes) different Pianos though.

Regards,
Vikas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2011 @ 06:01 AM
Moomintroll
Joined  05-06-2011

Hi,

I browsed youtube for videos of the Mo 8 - the length of the keys seems to be ok - not as short as those of the PSR keyboards, it should be nice for piano playing. I have no reasons to think the keys of the MoX-8 will be different in length.

Now, I am looking forward to some demos on Youtube. I know Bert Smorenburg performs his demonstration so convincingly well that I think he is capable of selling even a square tire. Would love to read reviews from guys who actually use the board.

Thanks for your replies, guys! You’re the best.

Moomintroll

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2011 @ 12:33 PM
Moomintroll
Joined  05-06-2011

Hi,

I’ve just visited the local Yamaha store and tried out the piano P95 with the GHS keyboard action - presumably the same as that on the MoX-8. I found the keyboard wonderful for my playing style - not too light, not too heavy, and much more convenient to me than the Clavinova’s GH3, GH3+NW and so on. Although I will be given a price quote for the MoX-8 on Monday, they aren’t going to have it in stock and display it in their showroom until autumn.

So, at least I have settled on a digital piano. I hope the user reviews on the MoX (6 and 8) will be positive. I have already started saving my pennies up. :-)

Regards,

Moomintroll

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ S700 Piano for the MOX through Cubase?
Next Topic:

Wheel position / file compatability ››