mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Looking for a hands on review on the MOX."

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: May 05, 2011 @ 07:33 PM
angelkeys
Total Posts:  77
Joined  03-27-2011

I see that the MOX are in stock at some retailers,and was wondering if any one got one yet.And if so a hands on review would be a welcomed thing.Im sure im not the only one waiting to hear some good news about the MOX.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2011 @ 12:21 PM
yamahaforums
Total Posts:  71
Joined  02-07-2005

Some others on the forum have had theirs and mine arrives on Monday so expect a quick review within a few hours of me getting it out of the box :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2012 @ 03:25 PM
angelkeys
Joined  03-27-2011

Since the mox has been out a while now im wondering how happy you mox8 owners are.I own a xf6 and im looking for the 88 keys that the mox8 offer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2012 @ 05:56 PM
moxrox
Total Posts:  440
Joined  11-28-2011

I love my MOX6.  But if you are looking to go from an XF6 to a MOX8, you may be disapppointed.  The XF series is the top of line, so if you want to upgrade to 88 keys, I would recommend the XF8 rather than the MOX8.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2012 @ 06:17 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

First, my machine is an XF8, which I wouldn’t give up. The balanced-hammer 88 keybed is an essential component for me. Angelkeys, you don’t say whether live performance function is a high priority to you (As it is to me), but I am going to read between the lines and guess that it is.  So, I’ll throw out a slightly different perspective to what moxrox is saying, given that TWO great keyboards in live performance is MORE than twice as good as ONE (I wouldn’t be able to do the range of music I do with just one keyboard).  I am going to assume you want to ADD the MOX, and not REPLACE the XF.

Since you already have the XF and all of it’s functionality, and want to add the feel and range of the 88 keybed, I think that adding the MOX8 to your stack would be a GREAT way to go.  It will set you back way less than an XF8, it has much of the same functionality (And all of the rest you already have in your XF6), it gives you the great keybed action you are looking for, and is a great live performance keyboard.  I think that the XF6 you already have with a MOX8 would be a killer set-up.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2012 @ 09:34 PM
moxrox
Total Posts:  440
Joined  11-28-2011

Yes, I most likely misunderstood your intent.  I agree, adding a MOX8 to complement your XF6 would be an excellent combination!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2012 @ 11:41 PM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010

Considering all the capability of an XF6 and the ability you have to trigger its sounds from internal and external keyboards simultaneously, I think you might as well just get a P95 instead of a MOX8 as a second board. Same action, less weight, less stage space, less expensive, and since it can trigger the sounds in the XF, you’d still have all the same sounds. I don’t see any real advantage to choosing the MOX8 here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2012 @ 12:15 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

Anotherscott is right, you won’t get new sounds with the addition of the MOX.  But, you would get some amazing versatility and real-time logistic advantages and flexibility in that dual-keyboard set-up.  For a quick example, you could use the XF as a dedicated organ while using the MOX to do all kinds of other possible parts either bouncing back-and-forth with the XF or at the same time.  Lot’s of really cool possibilities...which you might be able to figure out using a second keyboard as a controller, but involves a lot more thinking/planning and a lot less spontaneous jamming!

But, he is also right that adding something like a P95 or even CP33 to the XF would also be a great dual keyboard set-up.  I use my 12 year old P200 with my XF, and it makes a similar set-up to adding the P95, really works good together.  And...the cost is way less.  Think clearly about what YOU need to get done, and go from there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2012 @ 02:29 PM
angelkeys
Joined  03-27-2011

Thanks for all the great advise on my question.I love my XF6 and have no plans of getting rid of it.Please keep in mind that i have never used the midi function on a keyboard before.I have been going to guitar center for a while now and have tried the keys on the P95,Mox8,CP33,XF8 and S90xs.And the XF8 and S90xs are to me the best of the bunch.The XF8 is to much cash and to heavy for me and im thinking the S90Xs might be my choice.But i do have a ? about the inexpensive P95,If i ran a midi cable from the XF to the95 would i get the same quality of sound out of the 95 that i am getting out of the XF.Another ? is,my xf is going into my pa system so would i also have to run the 95 into the pa or would the 2 keyboards being midied together take care of that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2012 @ 03:08 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

The sounds of your Motif would be the same as they are now if MIDI-triggered by the P95 (Although I believe you would lose the aftertouch capability with the P95 keybed).  When you send a MIDI command to the XF, the XF still produces the sound you are triggering, not the P95.

You would connect the audio output of both keyboards to the amp to hear sounds generated by both, regardless of which keyboard was triggering which sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2012 @ 01:38 PM
anotherscott
Joined  06-30-2010
angelkeys - 19 February 2012 02:29 PM

But i do have a ? about the inexpensive P95,If i ran a midi cable from the XF to the95 would i get the same quality of sound out of the 95 that i am getting out of the XF.

When you run a MIDI cable out of the P95 into the XF, you are literally using it to trigger sounds that are in the XF, so yes, by definition, sound quality is identical. Used in this manner, no sound is coming out of the P95 at all, just commands to generate sounds on the XF. Basically, it’s like adding 88 more keys to your XF keyboard… and just as you can split the XF itself to play, for example, one sound on the top half of the board and another on the bottom, you can likewise simply be playing an additional XF sound from these other 88 keys. In fact, the P95 has a “dual voice” mode where you can split its keyboard and transmit on one MIDI channel above a certain key and another MIDI channel below that key. In that case, even the 88 key board can itself be split to trigger two additional Motif XF sounds, in addition to whatever splits you may have created on the XF’s own board.

angelkeys - 19 February 2012 02:29 PM

Another ? is,my xf is going into my pa system so would i also have to run the 95 into the pa or would the 2 keyboards being midied together take care of that.

MIDI is not audio, it simply sends commands from one place to anothr. So MIDI’ing two boards together has no impact whatsoever on audio wiring, either positively or negatively. That said, you could conceivably want to run an audio cable from the P95 to the PA system IF you want to use any of its built in sounds. If you are strictly using it to trigger sounds in the Motif, then there’s no need to run any audio from the P95, it would remain a silent controller serving to trigger sounds in the Motif.

Basically, if the Motif has all the sounds you want, and you just want to play some of them from a weighted action, or have more “key real estate” to be able to access more of its sounds simultaneously from different keyboard ranges, all you need is something to serve as a MIDI controller, and the P95 can certainly do that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2012 @ 04:44 PM
angelkeys
Joined  03-27-2011

Another question i have on the P95.Im hearing conflicting stories on the fact that it only has 1 output and i might have a problem running it trew a amp.Has anyone ran a P95 trew a amp with no problem? and would there be an issue going stereo with only 1 output.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2012 @ 05:44 PM
anotherscott
Joined  06-30-2010
angelkeys - 20 February 2012 04:44 PM

Another question i have on the P95.Im hearing conflicting stories on the fact that it only has 1 output and i might have a problem running it trew a amp.Has anyone ran a P95 trew a amp with no problem? and would there be an issue going stereo with only 1 output.

You can run stereo out of the P95 using a cable that splits its 1/4” stereo connection into a pair of 1/4” mono connections. But since I think the piano sounds in the MOX are better than in the P95, I’m not sure that you’d want to bother using the P95’s sounds. Although it can be convenient to have different sounds coming out of different jacks for subsequent mixing/routing purposes, the XF has assignable output jacks you can use for that, too.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2012 @ 09:46 PM
angelkeys
Joined  03-27-2011

Looks like i will be taking a trip to guitar center this week to play with the P95 again.I was wondering if i need 1 or 2 midi cables to trigger the sounds of the xf off of the p95 keyboard.And what are some good midi cables that i can pick up.Im looking foward to getting my hands on an 88 keyboard,Im running out of keys quick with 61 keys.Would it also be a good idear to bring a good set of headphones to hear the quality of the piano sound on the 95.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2012 @ 09:58 PM
anotherscott
Joined  06-30-2010
angelkeys - 25 February 2012 09:46 PM

I was wondering if i need 1 or 2 midi cables to trigger the sounds of the xf off of the p95 keyboard.

One.

angelkeys - 25 February 2012 09:46 PM

And what are some good midi cables that i can pick up.

Any standard MIDI cable (5-pin DIN connector on each end) is fine. Just something long enough to reach between the two instruments you’re connecting.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2012 @ 10:17 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

Angelkeys, in my opinion it would be a pity to buy a second keyboard PLANNING not to use the sounds from it.  There are LOTS of live situations where two (Or more) keyboards generating their own sounds in addition to triggering others are not only convenient but necessary.  Unless you are NOT a live player, I wouldn’t recommend you get another keyboard JUST to use as a controller for the XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2