mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MO arpeggio and SMF playback problems"

Posted on: April 22, 2011 @ 06:59 AM
djuice
Total Posts:  125
Joined  04-06-2011

Hello,

I’d like to ask for help.
I bought a MO8 synth and I have some problems with it.

When I playing on a Performance sound (with drum track arpeggio) and turn
off the arpeggio with the On/Off switch on panel, the drum/percussion
timbres heard under the normal melodic sounds. (eg. USR2/D08 - Jazz Combo)
However for some other Performance, the arpeggio switch-off works! (eg.
USR2/E08 - Latinizer)
I know that MOs use same midi channel for all part of Performance, but the
arpeggio’s transmit midi channels possible change in utility mode, the
problem still persists.

Furthermore, my MO can’t plays exactly the SMF-GM files from pendrive
directly or in song mode, because the tracks (eg. drum track) sounds
different voices like the original. And some midi file playing results the
“Incorrect file” message.

Thanks for your help, and sorry for my english knowledge… :)

djuice

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2011 @ 02:14 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

When you are in PERFORMANCE mode you are playing on a single MIDI channel. A PART can respond to either you pressing a key directly or it can respond to the arpeggiator. When you have Drums assigned to a PERFORMANCE, they will respond to you pressing the KEY unless you assign that PART to respond to the arpeggio.

Each VOICE that is assigned to a PART of a PERFORMANCE is addressed by the keys according to NOTE LIMIT parameter of the PART. In other words, the NOTE LIMIT parameter determines what notes will respond by outputting sound. This is true of any VOICE assigned to a PART.
Press [EDIT]
Press a button [1]-[4] to view PART parameters
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF3] LIMIT
By setting the NOTE LIMIT HI and NOTE LIMIT LO you can restrict the region that will make sound. So for example, if you only want the bass to sound B2 and below, or you only want the latin percussion to sound, you can setup a region using these NOTE LIMIT parameters

There is a second set of NOTE LIMIT parameters for the arpeggio.
Press [COMMON] a/k/a the DrumKits/Favorites button
Press [F3] ARP
Press [SF2] LIMIT
These Note Limit parameters determine which keys will be able to control the arpeggio (tell it to start, for example).

When you turn the ARP ON/OFF = OFF, the Voice that is under control of the arpeggiator returns to normal keyboard control - this is true on the MO6/MO8 (2005)… On the more recent series a new parameter has been added called “ARP PLAY ONLY”

As the name implies, it was created for just the situation you are in, you want to STOP the arpeggio but you don’t want the PART formerly under arp control to make sound to each key press… thus “ARP PLAY ONLY” - only the arpeggiator will trigger the PART.

This parameter is found in the S90 XS/S70 XS (2009), the Motif XF (2010) and the new MO-X6/MO-X8 (2011)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2011 @ 09:58 PM
djuice
Joined  04-06-2011

Thanks, Bad_Mister.
I thought, only I didn’t know of an important function, but unfortunately the Yamaha engineers havn’t taken account of this thing earlier. :(
Temporarily, my simple method is the following: seek and turn off the drum arp. track in part mute function. (Mute panel switch)

“ARP PLAY ONLY”
I think it, would be important to eliminate this problem in previous Yamaha models as well as the MO, with a software update if this is possible. The most sounds don’t possible rewriting at the Yamaha synths (as is possible at the Korg), so the playing on these ROM Performances without Arp. section is a finical process… This could indicate to the factory?

There is some idea of the SMF playback problem as well?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2011 @ 09:20 PM
djuice
Joined  04-06-2011

I would like to get answer:
- why don’t play MO8 the MIDI files from USB correctly in SMF file browsing mode? ("incorrect midi files” message or non GM compatible, bad track or #CC assigns present at drums)
- Expected more firmware update for MO8? (expand it ARP PLAY ONLY function)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 12, 2011 @ 06:16 PM
djuice
Joined  04-06-2011

Hahoooo! Yamaha experts! Pleaseeeee…

[ Ignore ]