mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOX6 Vs Motif Rack XS"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: August 05, 2011 @ 09:01 AM
hasseg1
Total Posts:  34
Joined  08-07-2010

Many thanks for your very generous reply! My question is more specific on the sonic quality. I am aware that there are a maximum of 64 notes polyphony in MOX but are there any other technical differences regarding the quality of the tone generators between MOX and SX such as d/a conversions or any other technical aspects?

All the best,
Hans

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2011 @ 11:57 AM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010
Bad_Mister - 05 August 2011 07:42 AM

Where you may notice the biggest difference (since you asked my opinion) is in how playing each of these “feels” when you play it. I can know what the MOX is going to feel like with the soundset. The keyboard controller you choose, if you choose the Rack mount unit, is an unknown in this comparison.

You would not buy a synthesizer keyboard without trying out the action - trying the action is such a no-brainer when trying out a keyboard it is almost silly for me to mention it. Of course you would. You want to know how the MOX feels in response to you triggering the keys. A great deal of your decision to buy is based on this very subjective thing - if it feels great, that is, does it respond to the efforts you are extending, does it allow for emotional interpretation, expression, all of those musical, artful things… If it does, you continue to play it, if it does not, you stop unsatisfied.

That’s a good point… and in fact, when I first played the MOX8, I felt it was less satisfying than when I had triggered a Motif Rack XS from another board (a Casio PX-3). BUT… the MOX8 felt fine once I adjusted the keyboard velocity curve to “soft.” That made it easier to hit the higher velocities that the PX-3 had been sending out more easily, and made the board “come alive” more. So I think the suggestion of taking the board’s playability into account as part of the buying decision is right on, but I think it’s also worth noting that it can be very beneficial to switch to the different velocity curves, you might find it much more satisfying to play with something other than the default curve.

Any comparison of the MO-X6 or MO-X8 to a Motif-Rack XS without a discussion of the keyboard and the front panel of said controller keyboard and how it would work to enhance *your* personal performing experience, is kind of silly as well.
The MOX has dedicated buttons for some very cool features that you might find essential if you are using it to perform “live”. Your un-named controller, does it have enough assignable functions and are they flexible enough to send what you require to control the sounds?

Yes, the front panel controls is a place where the MOX has a big edge over the Rack for live performance, and is a big part on why I’ve settled on using the MOX instead of the Rack. I really like the interface/button/screen arrangement for live use. There are some things that could be a lot better, but it’s still really quite good, and likely better than anything you’d get using a generic controller and a Rack XS, if you want to be able to easily switch a lot of stuff on the fly.

That, is where, in my humble opinion, Rack mount units are for a specific purpose and a specific customer… where the individual’s requirements are met.  I would always recommend that you ask yourself what you want from the experience. Buying a rack mount unit for the wrong reason, is well, simply not a good strategy. I always have anyone that asks me for my opinion on this to “ask themselves” exactly what they want from that Rack..

Originally, I got the rack because it was the only way to get the great XS sounds and 88 keys in a package that didn’t have to weigh 50+ pounds. But I agree, with the tight integration with the screen and panel layout, a MOX is much more performance-friendly!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2014 @ 09:56 AM
bodacious
Total Posts:  8
Joined  03-20-2013

I’d also like opinion directly on sound quality comparison and number of built in patches to choose from (I’m still looking for 2nd answer on my own).

Does the mox6 have lots more NEW sounds than the rack?

Learning curve between the two aren’t issue for me, as they’ll both be tough since I’m an old korg fart!!

I previously owned the mox6 for a week and LOVED the sounds and keyboard (sent back for other reasons).

But I envision upcoming gigs where I need to fly to gig and would love to be able to carry on my sounds (won’t check my keyboard anymore).

I know the huge problem of using various controllers (especially on the fly), where I show up to gigs to play rented keyboards, but hate having to figure em all out on the spot....

With the rack, I could take the time to have my korg microstation work with it (I carry that on the plane)....

Thanx in advance :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2014 @ 10:29 AM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010
bodacious - 06 January 2014 09:56 AM

Does the mox6 have lots more NEW sounds than the rack?

The Voices are the same. The sample combinations of Voices (i.e. the MOX Performances) is a point of difference.

The newer MOXF6 has additional Voices that are not in the MOX6 or Rack XS. It also can take a flash card for further expansion of the sound library.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Export Finished Track (MoX or XF)? Driving me nuts!
Next Topic:

Part Volume Control Question ››