mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOX6 Vs Motif Rack XS"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: April 18, 2011 @ 07:11 PM
cfinn
Total Posts:  143
Joined  11-15-2007

Hi Guys

I have been wanting to get a motif rack xs for awhile now.
But since the MOX6 announcement it has me wondering.
Apart from the keybaord and sequencer difference between the two is there any other standouts worth getting the MOX6 for ?
I already have a MO6 as a keyboard.
Although when I look at the price the rack xs is still retailing for $100 more !
What do you make of that ?

Cheers
Chris

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2011 @ 10:07 AM
dcool
Total Posts:  426
Joined  11-01-2006

The things that I can see of advantage between XSRack and MOX are:

- Audio interface
- Light weight
- Built-in sequencer
- Cheaper than MO6+XSRack ;-)

Cheers,
dcool

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2011 @ 12:13 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010

Use the rack where u already have a keyboard/controller and u need to add the Motif voices to ur setup. This saves u a lot of space. If u r just starting off, go for moX. It’s value for money.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2011 @ 12:49 PM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010

I am also interested in the differences between the MOX and the Rack XS, besides, as you mention, the obvious keyboard and sequencer that the Rack lacks. This is by no means a complete analysis, but off-hand the Rack has at least the advantages of 128 note polyphony (instead of 64) and assignable outs; the MOX has a more hand-on interface with dedicated split/layer buttons, part mute buttons, the additional multi-function knobs and assignable buttons, etc. that might make it easier to get around in live performance… I’m not sure how much of that kind of functionality can be achieved over MIDI from some other keyboard controller… It would depend in part on how programmable the buttons/sliders/knobs on the MIDI controller are, and also on how much accessibility Yamaha provides in the rack to access these kinds of functions in real time over MIDI.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2011 @ 11:41 PM
cfinn
Joined  11-15-2007

yea thanks Guys for your opinions.
For my use the rack will suit fine.
I do most recording to an 8 track digital recorder
I have a MO6 as a keyboard and the MLAN16e2 option is always there.
Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2011 @ 06:47 AM
djuice
Total Posts:  125
Joined  04-06-2011

The Yamaha module versions has always been incomprehensible.
- does not know anything compared to the keyboards
- difficult to manage
- extremely expensive
Maybe you should try something else, like the Korg M3M…

In comparison, the MO series and MOX, there are winning in every respect!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2011 @ 09:18 PM
MikeHuntingford
Total Posts:  758
Joined  11-22-2009

Also,

the keyboard has 64 note polyphony.
the keyboard has pattern and song player
the keyboard has one arp but plays 4 parts
the keyboard seemlessly integrates with the controller (keyboard)

the rack has 128 polyphony
the rack has 4 separate arps
the rack mostly integrates but may have to program the midi keyboard

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2011 @ 06:48 AM
djuice
Total Posts:  125
Joined  04-06-2011

OK Mike, I mean, usually the module versions don’t offer more compared to the “parent” keyboards conceptually. (except Motif classic rack, but ES rack, XS rack no...)
For me, the S90 series is futile, the MO and MOX are more complex and less expensive. Similarly, the rack versions are weird.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2011 @ 11:17 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Just a few points of order (we don’t want false or misleading information to exist because what you write does live forever on the internet):

The MO-X has the full SONG/PATTERN sequencer that the Motif XS/XF… And this means it has several changes and some new features if you are familiar with the previous MO6/MO8.

The MO-X has four Arpeggiators that can be used simultaneously (same as in the Motif XS/XF and Rack XS for that matter).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2011 @ 12:32 AM
cfinn
Joined  11-15-2007

I love the MOX6 now
I am definately getting one when it comes to OZ !

Quickly found out the MLAN16e2 are pretty hard to come by and pretty much old technology now i suppose.

And while the rack XS is nice the MOX6 just has it all

thank you guys , just got another sale.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2011 @ 08:13 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Quickly found out the MLAN16e2 are pretty hard to come by and pretty much old technology now i suppose.

To be clear, the mLAN16E2 is discontinued and has been replaced with the FW16E which functions as audio/MIDI output for the Motif XS, Motif-Rack XS, and Motif XF. This delivers 16 audio bus outputs from these products to the computer and 3 pairs of audio returns from the computer… in addition to multiple ports of bi-directional MIDI communication

The MOX6/MOX8 feature a new Yamaha Steinberg USB audio/MIDI driver that gives you 4 channels of audio from the instrument to your computer (Dual Stereo bus outputs)… in addition to multiple ports of bi-directional MIDI communication

Nothing is “old technology” not when you compare it to the top of the line competing workstations… no one gives 22 channels of audio plus MIDI (as in the Motif-series).

the USB Audio/MIDI function of the new MOX6/MOX8 is perfect for this intermediate product. It is less complex, a breeze to setup and yet powerful.

If you need more audio/MIDI connectivity: Go Motif-series
If you want to enjoy the joys of audio/MIDI but are on a budget: Go MO-series

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2011 @ 07:42 AM
cfinn
Joined  11-15-2007

Thanks for clearing all that up Big Mister.

So the FW16E card is compatiable with the Motif XS Rack ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2011 @ 10:54 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Yes, did I forget to mention it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2011 @ 08:51 AM
cfinn
Joined  11-15-2007

you did
my bad !

cheers Bad Mister

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 02, 2011 @ 06:20 AM
hasseg1
Total Posts:  34
Joined  08-07-2010

Hi! I’m interested to hear opinions regarding the sonic quality between MOX and XS/XF. Mr Bad Mister?

Best rgds
Hans

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2011 @ 07:42 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The wonderful thing about opinions - no one has to give you one, you can have your own! :)
And in the end - it will be the only one that is important…

One would be hard pressed to tell the difference between in a “true” blindfold test. At least from a sonic end. The basic eight bank PRESET Libraries are identical. There is more processing power in the Motif-Rack XS - which will make its presence known (not in VOICE mode) only when multiple (simultaneous) channel playback required (the Rack XS is capable of 8 PARTS simultaneously accessing their Dual Insertion Effects, versus 3 PARTS on the MOX) - but the thing is they are equivalent effect types - just simply not as many simultaneously. So no impact on individual Voices (in Voice mode), only in simultaneous playback like from a sequencer.

Where you may notice the biggest difference (since you asked my opinion) is in how playing each of these “feels” when you play it. I can know what the MOX is going to feel like with the soundset. The keyboard controller you choose, if you choose the Rack mount unit, is an unknown in this comparison.

You would not buy a synthesizer keyboard without trying out the action - trying the action is such a no-brainer when trying out a keyboard it is almost silly for me to mention it. Of course you would. You want to know how the MOX feels in response to you triggering the keys. A great deal of your decision to buy is based on this very subjective thing - if it feels great, that is, does it respond to the efforts you are extending, does it allow for emotional interpretation, expression, all of those musical, artful things… If it does, you continue to play it, if it does not, you stop unsatisfied..

Any comparison of the MO-X6 or MO-X8 to a Motif-Rack XS without a discussion of the keyboard and the front panel of said controller keyboard and how it would work to enhance *your* personal performing experience, is kind of silly as well. You cannot ask someone for a comparison based on a keyboard versus a rack. The keyboard wins every time because you cannot play the rack without one. :) And we don’t know what you (personally) need from this situation.

The MOX has dedicated buttons for some very cool features that you might find essential if you are using it to perform “live”. Your un-named controller, does it have enough assignable functions and are they flexible enough to send what you require to control the sounds?

That, is where, in my humble opinion, Rack mount units are for a specific purpose and a specific customer… where the individual’s requirements are met.  I would always recommend that you ask yourself what you want from the experience. Buying a rack mount unit for the wrong reason, is well, simply not a good strategy. I always have anyone that asks me for my opinion on this to “ask themselves” exactly what they want from that Rack. And most importantly is the controller they are going to substitute for the ‘tightly’ integrated panel of the keyboard version of the synth… well, is it up to the task? (their own requirements).

The user interface on the designed product (MO-X) is a known… the Controller you select for the Rack unit (Motif Rack XS) will play a significant part in any realistic comparison between these items. And it is based on what YOU (personally) need to do with the soundset. If the front panel interface of the MOX is not that important for you - the Rack XS might be for you. If the front panel is something you are going to be using, then choose your controller keyboard with care and ensure it can do what you require.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Export Finished Track (MoX or XF)? Driving me nuts!
Next Topic:

Part Volume Control Question ››