mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Xs vs. Xf sounds"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: April 08, 2011 @ 08:38 PM
elvolutionstudios
Total Posts:  1
Joined  04-08-2011

What is the difference in sounds between the motif xs and xf in terms or factory sounds.

On wikipedia....it looked like the xf had just like a hundred more...?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2011 @ 08:50 PM
youdog
Total Posts:  482
Joined  01-30-2009
elvolutionstudios - 08 April 2011 08:38 PM

What is the difference in sounds between the motif xs and xf in terms or factory sounds.

On wikipedia....it looked like the xf had just like a hundred more...?

128 new voices in user bank 1 both have the same preset voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2011 @ 05:12 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  4707
Joined  09-16-2010

The XF has an additional 128 (1 bank) of User voices and another 128 of User performances, but that’s not the entire story. The ROM that holds the waveforms in the XF is about twice the size of that of the XS. There are 3,977 waveforms in the XF and 2,670 in the XS.

See:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xf_faq1
--and/or--
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xf_whats_new

The factory voices are not the limits of what the the XS and XF can do. There are so many waveforms that even with all the factory preset and user voice banks, it leaves a lot of the potential untouched. Learning how to edit/program opens up much more—or, third party sounds can do the same.

(Disclaimer for the benefit of XS fans: I still own only an XS, and find it suits my needs—for now. :-) )

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2011 @ 10:41 AM
delirium
Total Posts:  2441
Joined  11-16-2006

yes, motif XS has better sounds.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2011 @ 01:00 PM
youdog
Joined  01-30-2009
delirium - 09 April 2011 10:41 AM

many don’t know that the older the Motif the better it sounds.

Motif’s In Sound best at the top.

Top 1st Classic
2nd ES
3td XS
Bottom 4th XF

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2011 @ 01:17 PM
That-1-DJ
Total Posts:  47
Joined  08-21-2006

If any of you guys above want to trade your board for my XF! PM me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2011 @ 01:36 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  4707
Joined  09-16-2010
youdog - 09 April 2011 01:00 PM

many don’t know that the older the Motif the better it sounds. [...]

Apparently, they age like fine wine.

That-1-DJ - 09 April 2011 01:17 PM

If any of you guys above want to trade your board for my XF! PM me.

Why, is it that hard to keep fingerprints from showing on the black surface?
;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2011 @ 04:08 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6625
Joined  07-27-2002
youdog - 09 April 2011 01:00 PM
delirium - 09 April 2011 10:41 AM

many don’t know that the older the Motif the better it sounds.

Motif’s In Sound best at the top.

Top 1st Classic
2nd ES
3td XS
Bottom 4th XF

Completely disagree. I have used all Motif models, and to me the XF clearly sounds the best of any of them.

If you prefer the sound of the older models, that is your preference.
But it is not a “fact”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2011 @ 05:18 PM
delirium
Joined  11-16-2006
DavePolich - 09 April 2011 04:08 PM

I have used all Motif models, and to me the XF clearly sounds the best of any of them.

you know that this is not even possible because XF has the same sound engine as XS…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2011 @ 07:10 PM
muziksculp
Total Posts:  614
Joined  08-13-2002

One of the reasons I decided to upgrade from Motif XS7 to Motif XF7 is because to my ears the Motif XF sounded much, much better than the XS.

The overall XF sonic fidelity is impressive, the reverb tails sound much better/smoother, and the overall presence of the instruments, especially notable in the drum kits, they sounded more punchy, natural and 3-dimensional. 

Every single sound I compared between the XS and XF, the XF sounded better. Did an A/B test between XS and XF via both headphones, and powered Yamaha Monitors, I’m guessing YAMAHA has an improved A/D/A circuit board in the XF.

That, besides all the additional new features the XF offers.

The Motif line imho improves with each new model iteration, not the other way around !  Others might opt to disagree, but that’s my experience with the Motif Line, and I owned the Classic, ES, XS, and now ... waiting for the XF to arrive.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2011 @ 08:13 PM
youdog
Joined  01-30-2009

Dave if the Xf sound so much better why Yamaha want sent 3 to store in the usa. GC cant sale this board if yamaha dont have one. when the Classic,ES,& XS came out we seen the 6,7 &8;motif’s in every music store in the USA. I know we can see the XF online. The GC here has sold only 1 XF8, 0 XF7, 2 XF6 because it look/sound just like a XS. 7 out of 10 time we see (Live/studio/TV/Chruch/Club) a motif it’s a ES.

IF it was not for guys like you making new sounds we would have the same 16 bit sounds and thank GOD we got BadM help or I would have a motif now.
I sold my motif classic and got my XS with new motor if I sale my XS and get a Xf but with the same motor. ComeOn!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2011 @ 05:14 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

You should only buy what you can hear and understand - if and when you cannot do either, just stick with what you have and make music.... Saying that they are same (when they are not) does not make it so. Those of you with an XF can anticipate new functions and features because (as I’ve said many times) the hardware IS different. Then what are you going to say… ? “OH, its the same, except for this, and this and that, and the other…

If you really feel the Motif classic sounds the best - then stay with it. If you think the Motif ES sounds the best - stay with it. If you think your XS sounds the best - stay with that… but what you think is SUBJECTIVE (not fact)… so stating it is a fact is just silliness.

They all sound great and are clearly in the same family - listening to people argue over which sibling they like the best is embarrassing - why not spend your time and effort doing (almost) anything else? (:-D)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2011 @ 06:48 AM
arftech
Total Posts:  11
Joined  02-12-2011

“Those of you with an XF can anticipate new functions and features because (as I’ve said many times) the hardware IS different.”

Bad_Mister, care to share what the plans are for the XF if you can?

It’s About The Music!

Al F

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2011 @ 07:18 AM
delirium
Joined  11-16-2006
arftech - 10 April 2011 06:48 AM

it will be discontinued.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2011 @ 07:38 AM
arftech
Total Posts:  11
Joined  02-12-2011
delirium - 10 April 2011 07:18 AM
arftech - 10 April 2011 06:48 AM

it will be discontinued.

Delirium, Bad_Mister’s statement..."“Those of you with an XF can anticipate new functions and features because (as I’ve said many times) the hardware IS different.” does not sound like the XF is going to be discontinued at least not right now.

This is why I asked for a little more details but he probably can’t share them now.

Al F

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2011 @ 09:53 AM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1498
Joined  10-05-2010
Bad_Mister - 10 April 2011 05:14 AM

Those of you with an XF can anticipate new functions and features because (as I’ve said many times) the hardware IS different.

Bad_M is so bad. He throws these teasers out in the open for everyone of us to keep guessing. At least give us some hint on what’s in the offing?

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3