mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MoX and Motif XS"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: April 07, 2011 @ 06:55 AM
wladymeer
Total Posts:  1
Joined  04-06-2011

Besides obvious sampling missing, is weight and polyphony the only thing that’s been cut down comparing to Motif XS? What about converters?

In other words, sound quality speaking is MoX 1:1 copy of Motif XS?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2011 @ 09:49 AM
Gospelpad160
Total Posts:  316
Joined  01-25-2006

I’d like to add to that question with is the MO X compatible to the Motif XS as the MO was compatible to the Motif ES. I am able to share sequences and voice changes between the ES and the MO.  Just wondering.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2011 @ 01:38 PM
yamahaforums
Total Posts:  71
Joined  02-07-2005

Can’t give a definitive answer on that but it might be worth noting that in all the vid demo’s it is always stated that the MOX sound engines is “based” on that of the XS. so, is it or is it not simply a cut down XS or are we talking of something different?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2011 @ 03:37 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
yamahaforums - 25 April 2011 01:38 PM

...simply a cut down XS or are we talking of something different?

Both have a lot in common but they’re, nonetheless, a lot different. And it’s NOT simply a cut-down XS - it has a few bells n whistles and some really cool features (like the built-in audio interface) too. Like the MO, it’s going to be “great value for money”, I can tell u that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2011 @ 04:40 PM
yamahaforums
Joined  02-07-2005

The audio interface is definitely a big plus for me and I agree, from what I have seen and heard so far the MOX6 at least appears to be great value for money. Not so sure about the MOX8 as I think the addition of an 88 note weighted keybed and nothing else doesn’t warrant the extra £450 in price.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2011 @ 06:22 PM
anotherscott
Total Posts:  653
Joined  06-30-2010
yamahaforums - 25 April 2011 04:40 PM

the MOX6 at least appears to be great value for money. Not so sure about the MOX8 as I think the addition of an 88 note weighted keybed and nothing else doesn’t warrant the extra £450 in price.

To me, the MOX8 is the real deal. Sure, the MOX6 looks like a very nice board, but it also has some nice competition. But who else makes an 88-weighted full-featured workstation-style board that is anywhere near 32.6 pounds? Korg, Roland, Kuzweil don’t have any comparable 88 nearly as portable, this is a market Yamaha has all to itself.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2011 @ 06:33 PM
yamahaforums
Joined  02-07-2005

I still think £450 extra is too much for the 88 but then I am not talking from the perspective of a gigging musician who perhaps earns his/her living playing live. I can see for a pro musician perhaps it is worth the extra for such a relatively portable 88 note workstation. For me, I would love the 88 but I just can’t justify the extra outlay.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2011 @ 06:47 PM
anotherscott
Joined  06-30-2010
yamahaforums - 25 April 2011 06:33 PM

I still think £450 extra is too much for the 88

I do agree with you that the price difference is a bit extreme, but as I said, they are pretty much the only game in town with that piece.

That said, if you didn’t care about the convenience of having it all in one piece, instead of getting an MOX8, it would only cost $50 more to get an MOX6 and a P95, which you could MIDI together so you could drive the MOX sounds from either board (the MOX is even flexible enough to let you drive different MOX sounds from the two boards simultaneously)… and that might make the most sense, as you’d have a “no compromise” scenario of having both a weighted and an unweighted action at your disposal, and the combo would still be extremely portable. The combined weight of both boards is only about 42 lb, and each of the two pieces is quite light and easy to move.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2011 @ 06:52 PM
Gospelpad160
Total Posts:  316
Joined  01-25-2006

The size of the MOX 8 is only a little over 2 inches longer than the Motif 7 XS/XF and you can see how close they are in the background of the videos with bert.  The other thing is that the MOX 8 weighs 5 pounds less than the Motif 7 XS/XF!  That is amazing considering that the synth is graded hammer!  Then if you look at the price difference between the MOX 8 and the Motif 7 or 8 XF that is where you are getting your value.  I think you have to base value by comparing the 88s against 88s and the 61s against 61s.  I use my Motif XS8 out a lot because of all the wonderful sounds and functions I can use with it but it is a bear to get out of and back into my upstairs studio.  It has the bumps on the side to prove that.  I can’t wait for my church to get the MOX 8 and you won’t see my XS8 out unless it is a very, very, very special occasion.  And if I they are as compatible as they should be I will probably never have a good reason to bring it out anyway!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2011 @ 12:15 AM
mrdelurk
Total Posts:  151
Joined  09-18-2009

I fly around the world with a Yamaha P70 (88 keys, 30+ pounds) and a laptop for composing nowadays. I miss my XS8 left at home a lot during these trips, but the last time I lifted that, *I* almost broke in half.

I just saw the MOX8 - this is the ticket! (Can it do 110V/220V?) Is there a canonical list yet, what are all the differences between the two? (MOX8 and XS8, I mean.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2011 @ 01:38 AM
jxsbebop
Total Posts:  191
Joined  08-06-2010
Gospelpad160 - 07 April 2011 09:49 AM

I’d like to add to that question with is the MO X compatible to the Motif XS as the MO was compatible to the Motif ES. I am able to share sequences and voice changes between the ES and the MO.  Just wondering.

I tested this in my MoX8 review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDDNewUnbtU#t=7m57s).  I tried to load a Motif XS All file and a arpeggio file and the MoX didn’t see the files.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2011 @ 01:44 AM
jxsbebop
Total Posts:  191
Joined  08-06-2010
VikasSharma - 25 April 2011 03:37 PM
yamahaforums - 25 April 2011 01:38 PM

...simply a cut down XS or are we talking of something different?

Both have a lot in common but they’re, nonetheless, a lot different. And it’s NOT simply a cut-down XS - it has a few bells n whistles and some really cool features (like the built-in audio interface) too. Like the MO, it’s going to be “great value for money”, I can tell u that.

I’m not saying this is a comprehensive list, but here is what I’m aware of how the MoX is different from the Motif XS:

MoX Sound Engine Differences:
- 64 voice polyphony
- 3 effects instead of 8 effects in Song/Pattern mode

Aside from the items listed above, the MoX sound engine is the same as the Motif XS sound engine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2011 @ 11:57 PM
Vhz
Total Posts:  73
Joined  03-27-2007

and much less preset Performances

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 14, 2011 @ 04:55 PM
mrdelurk
Total Posts:  151
Joined  09-18-2009

I think I got a comparison chart working on Yamaha’s site… well it works, sort of… see if this link pulls it up

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 15, 2011 @ 10:09 AM
BillW
Total Posts:  35
Joined  12-06-2006
mrdelurk - 14 July 2011 04:55 PM

I think I got a comparison chart working on Yamaha’s site… well it works, sort of… see if this link pulls it up

The link worked for me, but some of the columns aren’t populated on both sides.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 15, 2011 @ 10:16 AM
anotherscott
Joined  06-30-2010

yeah, but the link is pretty useless. It’s not just Yamaha, those comparison engines are almost always terrible. They depend on the same data being entered the same way for all the models, and none of the models having important features that don’t fall into the categories in the comparison. I’m amazed that companies keep using those things, they just seem to scream “we haven’t a clue how to make this ‘web’ thing work.”

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XO8 vs XF8
Next Topic:

When will the MOX be advailable? ››