mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "FW16e driver not working with motifxf8"

Posted on: March 19, 2011 @ 01:48 AM
gnitha66
Total Posts:  6
Joined  03-17-2011

Hello,

I have a Motif XF8 keyboard and I’m trying to connect it to my computer using Firewire. I installed the FW16e in to my XF8.
Do I need to remove the plastic sheet from the bottom of the FW16e? I called yamaha tech support and they said I don’t have to remove the plastic sheet from the bottom of the FW16e.

I connected the firewire cable form the xf8 to my computer. Downloaded and installed the FW driver. I set the Midi on my keyboard to FW and Daw as sonar.

I just don’t see the fw driver under my sound devices. Connecting using usb cable is working fine, but I want to use the Fire wire connection.

After I installed Fire wire driver on my computer when I right click on the FW icon on the tool bar to open Control panel it says “Failed to open control panel”

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
gnitha.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2011 @ 03:21 AM
Redhotpoker
Total Posts:  3601
Joined  11-18-2010

Perhaps something still missing?
Would this help:

http://www.yamahasynth.com/downloads/drivers_software/synthesizers/motif_xf/all/

“MOTIF XF Extension (Extension)” is a set of program plug-ins and project templates developed by Yamaha to enhance the functions of Steinberg DAW software. Simply by installing Extension and connecting the MOTIF XF6/7/8 to your computer via an IEEE1394 cable, you can take advantage of various features which enable you to link the steinberg DAW such as Cubase with the MOTIF XF6/7/8.
Simply by installing Extension, you can utilize the following features when combining Cubase 5/Cubase Studio 5/Cubase Essential 5/Cubase AI 5 with the MOTIF XF6/7/8.
- Auto setting of Audio Driver
- Auto settings of Remote Device
- Project templates with Input/Output Bus settings
- Song Import from MOTIF XF6/7/8

The optional Firewire expansion board FW16E should be installed to the MOTIF XF6/7/8 when using all of the features (except for “Song Import") enabled by installing Extension.

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2011 @ 04:13 AM
mykejb
Total Posts:  101
Joined  12-28-2010

What sort of computer, which version of the operating system ?

Mike

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2011 @ 01:53 PM
gnitha66
Joined  03-17-2011

I have windows 7 professional 64 bit operating system and I’m using Sonar X1.

Do I need to run or install the
IEEE1394 Firmware Updater Ver.1.08 for Windows 7?

I installed my FW16e with out removing the plastic sheet covering the base of the the fw16e. Do I need to remove this befor installing the fire wire? I called yamaha and they said I dont have to remove the palstic sheet from the base of my fw16e.

thanks,
gnitha.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2011 @ 05:08 PM
tbosco
Total Posts:  119
Joined  08-05-2010

I have an XF7 and SONAR X1.
When you call up X1, go to Edit>Preferences>Devices then be sure to UNcheck any other driver you may have in use, as SONAR can only use ONE driver at a time.  Then CHECK the Yamaha Steinberg FW16e driver(s) you wish to use.  There will a list of them…

And be sure you set up your MOTIF in the X1 MIDI Devices tab also! 

Let me know if this doesn’t help.

Cheers!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2011 @ 05:12 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I have windows 7 professional 64 bit operating system and I’m using Sonar X1.

Do I need to run or install the
IEEE1394 Firmware Updater Ver.1.08 for Windows 7?

Probably not… but you can check to make sure. Here’s how:

In order to use the FW16E you will need the Yamaha Steinberg Firewire Driver version 1.6.0

Set your Motif XF to use the FW Interface:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF2] MIDI
MIDI IN/OUT = FW

With the XF connected to the Firewire port on your computer, open the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver control panel. It will show you three tabs: GENERAL, MOTIF XF, ABOUT

If the computer is ‘seeing’ the XF, the Motif XF tab will report the version of your IEEE1394 device (the FW16E) - which should be 1.08

I installed my FW16e with out removing the plastic sheet covering the base of the the fw16e. Do I need to remove this befor installing the fire wire? I called yamaha and they said I dont have to remove the palstic sheet from the base of my fw16e.

The protective plastic sheet is there for a very good reason. The reason Yamaha told you that you don’t have to remove it is because you should NOT remove it. It is there to prevent you from accidentaly shorting out connections, frying your FW16E with an accidental static electric spark. It is there for security of your FW16E’s data.

If and when you have cause to transport the FL512M or FL1024M from one Motif XF to another, always handle the boards with care, place them in an anti-static pouch and keep from touching the connectors.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2011 @ 12:50 PM
gnitha66
Joined  03-17-2011

Hello,

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I just don’t see the
FW drivers being installed under the
device manager -> Sound, Video and game Controllers

I downloaded the win_fw_v160x64 setup file from the Yamaha.Synth site and installed/ran the setup file on my cpu. I just don’t see the 4 Yamaha Steinberg fw drivers.

Before I installed I disconnected the usb cables and unchecked all the midi drivers in SonarX1.

Need help on this?

Thanks,
gnitha.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2011 @ 05:19 PM
mykejb
Total Posts:  101
Joined  12-28-2010

Let’s take a few steps back .... ignoring all the DAW audio/midi connections for now, if you open the “Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver” setting in Control Panel under the “Hardware and Sound” section do you see the “Motif XF” tab and the firmware version of the FW card? You should see this regardless of the settings on the Motif. I just tried it, you see the details even with it set to use MIDI over the USB port. If you don’t see the “Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver” in the control panel then your driver package didn’t load correctly.

If you don’t see the Motif tab and version details then there’s no point looking at your DAW. The problem could either be the FW card or the firewire interface on your PC, or even the firewire cable. Do you have anything else you can connect to the firewire connector to check it’s working? Might be worth checking in the BIOS that the firewire interface is enabled on your motherboard too.

If you do see the Motif tab and the card version details then at least you know the FW card is working and is correctly connected to your PC.

Mike

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2011 @ 09:00 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I downloaded the win_fw_v160x64 setup file from the Yamaha.Synth site and installed/ran the setup file on my cpu. I just don’t see the 4 Yamaha Steinberg fw drivers.

Make sure your Motif XF is set to use FW as the MIDI Interface
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF2] MIDI
Set MIDI IN/OUT = FW

After you have installed the driver you must connect the FW cable between the Motif XF and your computer and power on the Motif XF. The computer should then “find” the new hardware and go ahead and install the compoents it requires.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2011 @ 01:52 PM
gnitha66
Joined  03-17-2011

Hello,

Thanks to all, for your input. I was able to fix the issue. The problem was with my 1394 Chip Set not compatible with Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver for Windows 7/Vista 64bit. I had “RealTek ALC883” on my mainboard. I installed the “AGERE FW323-06” 1394 FW driver and it works fine now. The list of compatable chip sets with Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver V1.6.0 for Windows 7/Vista(SP1 or later) 64bit are listed on the “yamaha.synth” site.
http://www.yamahasynth.com/downloads/drivers_software/synthesizers/motif_xf/driver/

Thanks for all the help:-)

gnitha.

[ Ignore ]