mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "From Controling Volume with Foot Pedal"

Posted on: March 18, 2011 @ 06:34 PM
MelissaHannah
Total Posts:  58
Joined  07-28-2004

I have asked this question before and I appreciate the referal to: MOTIF Power User:  Working with and Undrstanding Physical Controllers.

I have been able to assign volume in the Voice mode, however after I assign the volume to piano, the footpedal controls volume on all sounds.

On the bottome of page #2 I follow the prompts: VOICE MODE: Press [
[EDIT]/ [COMMON]/ [F4] CTL Set:  but I do not get to the same screen they show below these instructions. 

Also, on page #4 in the 3rd paragraph, it says:  ate tthe Common OUTPUT page [F2] but it does not tell me how to get there.

I am trying to control volume of 1 part in a performance so that I can bring in strings or organ or horns in with a footpedal.

Thank You for your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2011 @ 07:27 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Don’t know if you are referring to the correct article or not. You posted in the Motif XS forum (so we will assume you own a Motif XS). It really matters what Motif-series you own. The article for the original Motif, and Motif ES will not work if you own an XS or XF.

Please see this article as even the pages you refer to are different and the button pushes are different. For example the XS has a [COMMON EDIT] button, not just a [COMMON] button… first clue you are looking at the wrong article.

Motif XS Working with and Understanding Physical Controllers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2011 @ 07:35 PM
MelissaHannah
Joined  07-28-2004

Thank You Bad Mister

I do own Motif ES & a Motif XS.  I was trying to work on the XS and I was reading the wrong manual.  Thank you for the directions, I will give it a try.

Frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2011 @ 09:57 PM
MelissaHannah
Joined  07-28-2004

Bad Mister

I have studied the manual you sent to me.  I can control the volume using foot pedal 1 or 2 in the voice mode.  When I use the same voice inserted in a performance, it will not work.

Does anyone give lessons on the XS?  I live close to Sweetwater Sound in Fort Wayne and would be happy to hire someone to show me the answer.

Thank You

Frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2011 @ 11:33 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The act of placing the VOICE in a PART of a PERFORMANCE is what you need to understand. PART parameters allow you to address the VOICE with actually altering the original VOICE data… Part parameters are a set of offsets applied to the Voice. Some parameters you may need to customize within the PERFORMANCE.

There is, among the PART parameters, settings that will influence what Controllers are assigned to work within the PERFORMANCE. You have a setting page for each PART that activates or deactivates controllers within the PERFORMANCE.

Depending on what you programmed it may or may not be available immediately in a PERFORMANCE>

*** Please describe what controller you are using.

You want to make sure each PART’s RECEIVE SWITCH is set to do what you want it to do
Press [PERFORM]
Press [EDIT]
Press the PART 1-4
Press [F6] RCV SWITCH (RECEIVE SWITCH)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2011 @ 10:56 AM
MelissaHannah
Joined  07-28-2004

Bad Mister

I am using a Yamaha volume pedal.  For example: While playing live in performance mode, I do not want to take my hands off the keyboard to bring the strings on Part #3 in.  I want to bring the strings in with a volume pedal.  I have made the volume pedal work in the Voice mode but it doesn’t want to latch on to the Voice when I put it in a performance.

I have been doing the procedure you indicated above with the red check marks to assign the volume pedal to part #3, however I am getting nowhere.

Thank You for your help.

Frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2011 @ 11:26 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry, I need more information about what you are doing. A Yamaha Volume pedal???

Do you mean an FC7 or an FC9?

And when you say you have made it work in VOICE mode, I need the details of how you made it work in VOICE mode. Specifically what did you do to make it work in VOICE mode. Please realize there are several ways to “make it work” in VOICE mode. We need to know which one you used!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2011 @ 11:33 AM
MelissaHannah
Joined  07-28-2004

Bad Mister

I will let you know.  I’m packing up for a gig right now so I will reply probably tomorrow.

Don’t you ever sleep. lol

Thank you

Frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2011 @ 07:46 PM
MelissaHannah
Joined  07-28-2004

Bad Mister

As you requested, I am sending you the exact sequence of button pushes to try to make this work.  Remember while in Performance mode, I want Foot Controller 1 to control volume on only 1 part so that I can bring it in and take it out while playing live.

Yamaha FC7 plugged into Foot Controller 1

(Volume is immediately controlled by FC7 for whole keyboard.)

VOICE MODE

Select USR1: 001 (A01) Full Concert Grand

EDIT

COMMON EDIT

F4 CONTROL SET

SOURCE: FootCtr1 (07)

DESTINATION: Volume

F1 - GENERAL

SF2 - PLAY MODE

OUTPUT LEVEL VOLUME - Set to 0

FC7 now controls voice volume

Go to PERFORMANCE MODE

Go to USR3: 095 (F15) Desert Drive

Part #1 - Power Standard Kit 1

Part #2 - Full Concert Grand

Part #3 - Contempo

Part #4 - Romantic

EDIT

EDIT - PART 1 - Turn Footctr1 Off
EDIT - PART 2 - Turn Footctr1 ON
EDIT - PART 3 - Turn Footctr1 Off
EDIT - PART 4 - Turn Footctr1 OFF

At this time, the FC7 should control only PART 2 (Full Concert Grand), however, the FC7 still controls volume for the whole keyboard.

I hope I presented this information in an understandable way.

Thank You for your help.

Frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2011 @ 09:52 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Here is what you are not understanding. CONTROL CHANGE 011 (cc011) has a fixed function. That function is always to change the relative volume (Expression) of all items on the currently selected MIDI channel.

Foot Controller 1 defaults to Expression which is cc011 (and will always be performing volume)
Foot Controller 2 defaults to Foot Control which is cc004 (does not have a fixed function - its assignable)

If you do not want a PART to follow this command you must tell it not to receive EXPRESSION specifically.
In your PERFORMANCE
Press [EDIT]
Press the PART [1]-[4] to view each PART in turn
Press [F6] RCV SWITCH
EXPRESSION is listed separately… a check means the PART will respond to the FC7 plugged into Foot Controller 1.
Clear the check mark if you would rather the PART ignore changes.

The Foot Controller options found there, on this screen, are for when you have assigned the Foot Controller to something other than a fixed function parameter number. For example, say you plugged your FC7 pedal into the Foot Controller 2 jack. This jack defaults to sending cc004 - called FOOT CONTROL… it does not have a fixed function.

In the first part of your post you go through how you programmed the Control Set of the FULL CONCERT GRAND so that the
SOURCE = FootCtrl1(11)
DESTINATION = volume

This is redundant. And not necessary. (lol) Since cc011 is “fixed” to always do volume, so this was not necessary.
If you had plugged your FC7 into Foot Controller 2 and used the following
SOURCE = FootCtrl2(04)
DESTINATION = volume

That would have been meaningful. You are now giving cc004 something specific to do.

Summary: No matter what other task you give a physical controller if that controller has a “fixed function” number that controller will continue to do its fixed function.

Your solution: Use a non-fixed function control.  Foot Controller 2 jack on the back panel (cc004) to bias the VOICE volume

Or, if you want to continue to use the Foot Controll 1 jack, and you only want to control one PART of a PERFORMANCE - simply clear the EXPRESSION box within the PERFORMANCE > EDIT > PART button [1]-[4] > [F6] RCV SWITCH screen

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2011 @ 06:54 PM
MelissaHannah
Joined  07-28-2004

Bad Mister

I know you are getting tired of hearing from me. Sorry

I changed the FC7 from Footctrl 1 to Footctrl 2.  I assigned Footctrl 2 to 07 (Volume)

I went to performance mode

EDIT

PART 1 - 4

F6 RCV Switch

Part 1 - Turn Footctrl 2 Off (Took off red check mark)
Part 2 - Turn Footctrl 2 Off “
Part 3 - Turn Footctrl 2 Off “
Part 4 - Turn Footctrl 2 ON (Turned ON red check mark)

Saved my work

When I play, the FC7 still controls volume for all 4 parts.

Thank You

Frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2011 @ 07:25 PM
MelissaHannah
Joined  07-28-2004

Bad Mister

I GOT IT

I was not turning off the seperate expression buttons!

Thank You so much for your help!!!

Frank

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ No "start playing on keypress" option in SONG mode
Next Topic:

Karma for Motif! ››