mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Firmware update Rack XS"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: March 10, 2011 @ 11:55 AM
3nglenn
Total Posts:  129
Joined  04-17-2010

Hello all. I’m going to try to update my Rack this weekend, from
V1.00 to V1.04. I will install the appropriate driver first. Printed out the instructions and it looks pretty straight forward.
However item #6 “change the Output Routing in the Inspector (?) to
Yamaha MOTIF-R XS-1(Win)” is where I’m drawing a blank. Haven’t
got into Cubase AI4 enough to be comfortable with this step. Any help, advice, input much appreciated. Thanks G.P.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 12, 2011 @ 07:21 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The step is conveying that you need to assign the OUTPUT of the MIDI track so that it is set trigger the Motif-Rack XS.

If you are using the Motif-Rack XS in MIDI IN/OUT = USB mode, then you should have installed the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver on your computer. The port you would select is named “Yamaha Motif-R XS-1”

If you do not see this as an option for your MIDI OUT, then you most likely have not downloaded and installed the correct driver. If you are connected to your computer by another means, then simply ensure that the Cubase track is routed to the Motif-Rack XS for that particular track.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2011 @ 06:48 PM
3nglenn
Joined  04-17-2010

Thankyou B.M. I downloaded the driver from the Yamahasynth site, on the Motif Rack XS update page:
http://www.yamahasynth.com/downloads/drivers_software/tone_generators_samplers/motif_rack_xs/updater/

I’m assuming this is the correct one?
Thanks G.P.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2011 @ 08:48 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

There is a difference between a “driver” and the “updater”.

Let me ask you some basic questions - it is apparent that you are lost.

How is your Motif-Rack XS connected to your computer?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 14, 2011 @ 06:29 PM
3nglenn
Joined  04-17-2010

Thanks for sticking with me B.M. I’m hooked to my laptop via USB (is not a IEEE1394) Windows XP 32 bit. I have the Rack XS Editor via Studio Manager installed, as well as CuBase AI4. I’ve downloaded the Updator V1.04(purple box Yamahasynth site) as well as the midi driver (red box YamahaSynth site). Updator is designated 8F390S_.PGM. Driver is designated as um3042x86.zip, extracted and installed. Able to import the Updator to CuBase with no problem, thus far, Please let me know If you need more info… Ah these rookies… :) Thanks G.P.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2011 @ 11:33 AM
y84media
Total Posts:  7
Joined  01-28-2011

I too found the instructions to be a bit lacking for someone who is a complete newbie.  I was messing around with MIDI back in the Korg M1, Roland D-50, and Opcode Vision 1989 days....

I created a short video that walks you through this process.
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/453815/

Hope it helps.  This video took 3 hours of troubleshooting because of little ‘nuggets’ the manual fails to mention.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2011 @ 01:21 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Thanks for sticking with me B.M. I’m hooked to my laptop via USB (is not a IEEE1394) Windows XP 32 bit. I have the Rack XS Editor via Studio Manager installed, as well as CuBase AI4. I’ve downloaded the Updator V1.04(purple box Yamahasynth site) as well as the midi driver (red box YamahaSynth site). Updator is designated 8F390S_.PGM. Driver is designated as um3042x86.zip, extracted and installed. Able to import the Updator to CuBase with no problem, thus far, Please let me know If you need more info… Ah these rookies… :)

If you are new to both the Motif-Rack XS and new to using Cubase AI4, this can seem difficult (it is not really). But if you have been using your Motif-Rack XS with Cubase or any DAW software for that matter, the concept of the update is really simple.

You are going to use the USB-MIDI connection to the Motif-Rack XS that you have always used to play files and you are going to simply play a MIDI file for the Motif-Rack XS. It is that simple. The devil is always in the details, however.

If you are new to Cubase, make it easy on yourself. You can even use Windows Media Player - if you are not yet familiar with playing back MIDI files or song data with Cubase.

Install Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver
You have to unzip the UN3042x86.zip file… in there you will find the INSTALLATION GUIDE (in several languages) - if you are installing the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver for the first time see page 5 for the step-by-step instructions. If you are updating a previous Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver please see page 7.

Read the instructions first, then go back and follow them step-by-step. Trust me on this. Do not assume it is like anything else (common mistake people make, is they think it is going to be the same or even similar to some other thing they have installed)… and the miss an important step.

Once you have followed the INSTALLATION GUIDE instructions and rebooted your computer, you can use Windows MIDI Player to play the UPDATER file and directly update your Motif-Rack XS.

On your computer go to CONTROL PANEL
Here you will see the blue Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver icon
Clicking should open the Control Panel - if you cannot open the control panel the driver is not installed (let us know).

If all appears fine, you can in CONTROL PANELS click on “SOUND AND AUDIO DEVICES” > AUDIO tab > under the “MIDI MUSIC PLAYBACK” option select “Yamaha Motif-R XS-1”

This will allow Windows Media Player to output MIDI data directly to your Motif-Rack XS.

Prepare the Motif-Rack XS for UPDATE.
Set the MIDI IN/OUT = USB
Press [STORE]
Power down
Power up while holding the magic combination of buttons to enter UPDATER mode (as per the instructions with the UPDATER)

Now depending you how you have your computer set, you can either just double click the “8F39OS_.PGM.MID” file (if you computer is set to default playing .MID files with Windows Medai Player the update process will begin.

If you do not have .MID as a default file for Windows Media Player, open Windows Media Player
press [CTRL] + the letter [O] for OPEN
FILE > find the 8F39OS_.PGM.MID file and open it.

Hope that helps. Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 25, 2011 @ 11:28 AM
3nglenn
Joined  04-17-2010

Thankyou,thankyou B.M. for the detailed instructions. I plan on giving it a go this weekend, if my “honey-do” list isn’t too big...:0

thanks also y84media for the video link.
G.P.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 26, 2011 @ 05:21 PM
3nglenn
Joined  04-17-2010

Ok,update complete! Very easy with the Windows Media player. Thanks again B.M. and others who responded.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2011 @ 05:20 PM
tparker24
Total Posts:  2
Joined  07-29-2010

I’m trying to avoid the whole USB and Cubase thing and would prefer to just use MIDI IN/OUT, along with SONAR.

Can I just play the updater .mid file through SONAR out to the Motif?

- Tom

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 12, 2011 @ 08:56 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The Motif-Rack XS does not care what you use… all you need to do is send the MIDI data into the unit.

I’ve found that Windows Media Player is better than using any DAW (as the DAWs often choke on the amount of System Exclusive data contained in the file) and Windows Media Player just doesn’t care.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 12, 2011 @ 11:47 AM
tparker24
Joined  07-29-2010

Ok, thanks for the info!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2011 @ 09:10 AM
shopper
Joined  06-20-2011

So all you do is set up the MIDI port in Control Panel for WMP and drag the firmware update .mid file onto the shortcut icon and that’s it, no need for a special program?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 03, 2011 @ 11:09 AM
melomaniac3
Total Posts:  3
Joined  08-03-2011

Those instructions sure help a lot, but I’m wondering if I’m missing something obvious.

When I try to go into my PC’s Control Panel to change the MIDI Playback settings to record to my Motif Rack XS, I can’t find the MIDI Playback settings anywhere. My control panel has a “Sound” button, but there’s nothing about MIDI. I think my brain is so fried from dealing with my gear that I can’t seem to work a computer anymore. :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 04, 2011 @ 12:20 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Computer help is always based on the type of computer you have - above the poster has a Windows XP 32-bit computer… how about you?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 04, 2011 @ 12:29 PM
melomaniac3
Total Posts:  3
Joined  08-03-2011

Windows Vista, 64-bit.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ How to - Update the firmware on a Motif XS Rack
Next Topic:

MIDI vs USB question ››