mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS Rack + Novation Remote SL 61 vs just Motif XS 6 - thoughts?"

Posted on: March 08, 2011 @ 04:55 PM
fosfen
Total Posts:  19
Joined  01-15-2011

Hello, let me first start by saying I have both of these currently, plus a remote SL 61 (not MKII, older version).

I bought both to use the rack version for live stuff and the keyboard version for home, where I’d build my sounds and record stuff with it. I don’t really use any of the sequencing, pattern editing nor sampling functions on the keyboard. I tried using them but went back to mostly doing that stuff on the computer, it just feels more efficient for me (and I was already used to that before getting the keyboard, I just wanted to try that route). So basically, I’m pondering to just get the rack version for home too instead.

Here’s a few thoughts on what I like / don’t like:
- Apparently you can’t copy performances from the keyboard to the rack. I was expecting more compatibility between both.
- The keyboard is huge. I had to tweak my workstation a lot to fit it and it still feels convoluted, I often get pain in neck and shoulders because now my PC screen is not set the same and my PC keyboard is further away.
- I actually don’t feel like editing on the keyboard is so efficient. On the other hand, I tried a combo of using the Remote SL (made myself a template with a lot of sysex stuff to control editing voice / performances) and I feel like I can tweak the sounds much faster, at least for a lot of the basics. For the rest I pretty much still like using the PC editor better. Only downside is you have to fire up the PC and use PC mouse + keyboard.
- In that same vein, I’d like to have some more / better control for filters via knobs. The knobs all have a central “resting” position which I don’t really like when tweaking a filter.
- I don’t really have preferences for keyboard itself, but both feel quite quality (the Remote SL has aftertouch also, and while feeling a bit more “plasticky” it feels quite good and sturdy). Plus the remote has a good XY pad, beats the one axis ribbon controller.
- The sound browser on keyboard is nice. But I can build something similar on the remote (e.g. assign program changes to any button).
- I’d lose the ability to edit arps, but I can live with that I think. There’s a PC editor for the ES version which apparently can work for the XS too with some hacking.

Overall, it just seems like I’d be better off with the remote SL + XS rack combo rather than the full keyboard. Plus the remote is a kick ass controller for other things.

What do you guys think, anybody else went through the same path / thoughts?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2011 @ 08:35 PM
jkramer5
Total Posts:  15
Joined  02-01-2011

I’m similar but in an opposite way, I bought a Motif XS6 to get away from midi controllers. Having to do all the programming to get em the way I want em, and (for me) trying to remember what knob or slider I programmed to do what was getting old.

Between my akai drum pads, behringer fader controllers and midi keyboard controllers I was spending more time creating presets and key maps than playing.

I was this close to getting a Novation 61, I still may in the future, but I’m hapy where I am now, you seem to be too :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 28, 2011 @ 05:59 PM
tommymandel
Total Posts:  81
Joined  01-15-2003

I have an XS Rack and RemoteSL37 (mk1) and really like that. The keyboards are very heavy, and I can sample and sequence on the laptop too. That’s my pref.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2016 @ 10:39 PM
tommymandel
Joined  01-15-2003

Hey Fosfen, Is there any way you can download your RemoteSL Template for the Motif RackXS? Thanks in any event. Mine’s not working :() NEVER MIND - found both mine and yours. AOK. thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2016 @ 10:54 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

I have Rack XS and previously Novation Implulse 49. I sad previously because I sold it and buy MOXF6.
Reason for changing Novation controller was just because I want some additional light keyboard (I already owned Motif ES 6) and MOXF attracted me due to the fact that voices, arpeggios end FX are from Motif XF.
In that case I have all Yamaha line from ES with three more synthesis (plugin boards VL, DX and AN), XS and “light” XF.
Let me return to the Impulse. It was very simple to program it even from the keyboard itself (without computer), so I have besides sliders 9 buttons that I have programmed to AF 1 & 2, Arp 1-5 and Arp start/stop. Even I have programmed zones on keyboard for some split sounds and knobs for effects.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2016 @ 11:59 AM
tommymandel
Joined  01-15-2003
nbadesign - 27 January 2016 10:54 AM

Let me return to the Impulse. It was very simple to program it even from the keyboard itself (without computer), so I have besides sliders 9 buttons that I have programmed to AF 1 & 2, Arp 1-5 and Arp start/stop. Even I have programmed zones on keyboard for some split sounds and knobs for effects.

Alex

Very Cool Alex !!!! :) :) :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 14, 2016 @ 03:31 PM
Keg8605
Total Posts:  7
Joined  01-31-2013

So what did you end up with?  I’ve been using MainStage with an SL MKii and agree the keys are plenty good. Plus its easy to have extra midi controllers at rehearsal space.  Just bringing a rack and computer is a bit lighter.  I’m considering a motif XS or MOXF6 though just because live a computer just doesn’t seem to give me the same ease.  Tough choices these keyboard options!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Theremine like sound - advice plz
Next Topic:

FW16E with motif XS7 ››