mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Arpeggios in 6/8 time signature ?"

Posted on: February 28, 2011 @ 06:00 PM
bosmarth
Total Posts:  4
Joined  02-10-2011

I use MOTIF XF in Cubase 6 via the FW16 card.
The Motif is synced to Cubase’s project tempo and time signature - 6/8.
However, all guitar arpeggios I try and play in the MOTIF come into Cubase in 4/4. 
Is there any way to edit the XF factory arpeggios and change their time signature to 6/8?
I would appreciate very much your thoughts and advice !!!
Martin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2011 @ 02:40 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

No. No more than you could take a recording of a song that was 4/4 and make it 3/4 or 6/8… if the data was not originally played in 6/8 it will not feel like 6/8 no matter what you do.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2011 @ 08:33 PM
bosmarth
Total Posts:  4
Joined  02-10-2011

Thank you very much for your “to the point” answer ! It has just saved me a lot of time and energy in trying to achieve what apparently is not yet technically possible.

Actually, time signature manipulation is not a new idea. Spectrasonics for instance, has very successfully introduced a function called Time Designer in their Stylus RMX making it possible to change time signature for grooves, drum beats etc. 

But I guess that the way the XF arpeggios are mapped and programmed doesn’t allow this sort of flexibility.
Or perhaps not yet?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2011 @ 11:50 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

It is a common request. And quite naturally some one has decided to develop some kind of algorithm to mathematically do the conversion. But mostly (musically speaking) 6/8 is an entirely different feel and attitude of playing from 4/4.

I don’t necessarily ever want a mathematical conversion - I want something that was thought and felt in the time signature. Of course, everyone’s own preferences are different - for me… I approach playing in 6/8 with an entirely different mind set, I cannot speak for any other musician or how they approach it.

I hear some of those conversions and say, I wouldn’t have played it that way and wind up playing it myself… but that’s me.

Because you recount/restructure a hard (4/4) funk groove in 3/4, does not mean it is going to work on the Blue Danube (Waltz) y’know what I mean?  And vice versa, take that Blue Danube waltz thing and drop it in a James Brown tune, think the attitude is going to be right?”

“NOT YET”? I say it never will! Just my opinion.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2011 @ 12:25 PM
dfahrner
Total Posts:  67
Joined  03-10-2009

There sure aren’t many 3/4 or 6/8 arpeggios, anyway - some Irish Hymn and a couple of “Turkish Pop” arps, and that’s it...lots of other kinds of music are in three...I’d sure rather have a couple of jazz drum and bass arps in 3/4 and lose a few of the countless hip hop arps...but that’s presumably what the market wants, oh well…

And again, an XS/XF arp manager would help us roll our own… that program was announced last August, but has apparently passed on! This program is no more! It has ceased to be! It’s expired and gone to meet it’s maker! The XS/XF arp manager’s a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace...it’s metabolic processes are now history! It’s off the twig! It’s kicked the bucket, it’s shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin’ choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-APPLICATION PROGRAM!!!

df

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2012 @ 01:07 PM
rideau riff
Total Posts:  3
Joined  12-04-2012

Only had my s90xs a week and this turns out to be one of my disappointments.  I thought I’d find a guitar arp in 3/4, pretty standard (1, 2 and 3 and; (down, dn, up, dn,up)).  For that matter, I was presuming many more 3/4 and 6/8 choices.
Any suggestions on the guitar 3/4 arp?
Thanks. this is my first post. what a fun learning curve :).

[ Ignore ]